Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Dec 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1795090)   #26
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Standing starts: All I can say is, I'm goin' to Vegas. I gotta see this ! Proof positive that KK LISTENS to his fans.

Onboard starters: See above.

Timed races: A good thing if, like me, you watch the race on TV. No more hurried in-car radio interviews w the winner as the network cuts to Celebrity Poker...

Flags: who needs 'em ? They're obsolescent vestiges of the pre-pitradio era. They got an entire army of pit staff w computers who likely will tell their driver when to go-for-it. Actually I kinda like the IRL idea of a common race control freq which parallels (but is separate from) the pit radio.

No wind tunnels, OEM body panels: Good idea. CFD (computational fluid dynamics) produces 80% of the same result at 10% of the cost. Think the major players haven't digitized the Panoz and booked some time on a Cray ?
YBYSA they have. Watch the 'cheating' begin on the body panels, with boundary layer turbulators and such tacked on the 'stock' panels.

To summarize, CCWS is fast becoming what I loved about F1 15 years ago.
They've avoided the pitfalls which Bernie and Max fell into. They've become economically stronger (mainly due to the split), and more accessible to privateers. They're attracting new venues/sponsors and interest while the IRL flounders on the model of what CART used to be. Is it April yet ???

I, for one, can't wait !
Old 20 Dec 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1795802)   #27
dedalus5150
Rookie

United States
Upstate NY
dedalus5150 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFreak
Flags: who needs 'em ? They're obsolescent vestiges of the pre-pitradio era. They got an entire army of pit staff w computers who likely will tell their driver when to go-for-it. Actually I kinda like the IRL idea of a common race control freq which parallels (but is separate from) the pit radio.
Never been involved in racing, I take it.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 04:35 (Ref:1796440)   #28
RaceFreak
Racer

Guess I shoulda said WHITE flags. Should've realized someone would take it outta context w/o reading the full-rules-printout.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1797134)   #29
dedalus5150
Rookie

United States
Upstate NY
dedalus5150 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFreak
Guess I shoulda said WHITE flags. Should've realized someone would take it outta context w/o reading the full-rules-printout.
In context, signals from the starter's stand are a vital part of running a race and will continue to be so. I personally like the American standard of the white flag from the starters stand for the last lap. It provides a good visual cue. However, as the plethora of FIA sanctioned races throughout the world can attest to, it isn't absolutely necessary.

FYI I've read the full rules printout for CCWS, as well as Appendix H of the FIA International Sporting Code, IMSA's F&C regulations, the flag section of the SCCA GCR, as well as the flag section of the SCCA Pro Racing Rulebook. I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by me taking your statement out of context in that regard. But, it's no big deal so don't worry about it.

I think I made that cranky post before I had any coffee...
Old 26 Dec 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1799420)   #30
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All I can say is, if Tony plans to try this for the first time in Vegas, remind me to ask the flag chiefs if I can have any other turn but 1. Or I want a second communicator and lots of cameras to help get numbers -- taking a leaf from Portland's book for the chicane. Of course if we do this the you-know-what will go down at the next turn!

So where else could they use this? Long Beach? Edmonton? Toronto? May I suggest Cleveland and Portland are not good candidates. Discuss...

keke
Old 27 Dec 2006, 01:17 (Ref:1799658)   #31
RaceFreak
Racer

If they're gonna standing-start at Cleveland, then I'm buying Panoz stock. They will probably need to add a second shift, because they'll be selling a lot of tubs immediately after turn 1. Jeez...these guys can't even get thru on a single file start.

It WILL be interesting !
Old 27 Dec 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1799931)   #32
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2007 rule changes

Heck, Cleveland is so wide you could have 2 rows of 10 cars. Then imagine the chaos.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1799938)   #33
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, if CC has as much trouble with standing starts as F1, I think it would be an improvement.
Moving starts were used by Indy type cars as a necessity, they only had two speed gear boxes! It wasn't until the British joined in that they decided "maybe they needed a few more'. But they started telling us that standing starts are dangerous. What do they know about it? they never tried it.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 05:56 (Ref:1806805)   #34
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two rows of 10 cars is BRILLIANT!
Can Shaker Rigs shake the car, say, forward at about 200 mph? Kind of sounds like "water cooled brakes" to me
Old 6 Jan 2007, 04:12 (Ref:1807926)   #35
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Read this: http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...s=5&id=2719039

Apparently the only aspect of the car that the teams will be allowed to setup is the suspension. No aero changes will be permitted!! I know the IRL at least use to specify rear wing angle. It sounds like their dampers will be specified for them as well. I'm assuming the dampers have a number of different adjustments that can be made.

It's kind of wild, but I guess it makes sense. There's really no way for teams like DCR to compete with NH if the full range of setup options are available. With just the suspension I suspect we will see the drivers play a much larger role in the speed of a given car.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 05:46 (Ref:1822444)   #36
lnin0
Rookie

lnin0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't say I am a fan of the timed races but it beats the system they had. I was sick of seeing statagies go out the window at the last moment because a lap race was cut short by time. Going with one system is a good move. If they can't do the laps with no compromise then make all the races timed.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 22:30 (Ref:1845877)   #37
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
All in all most of the changes I think sound good. Changing the flags to the FIA set of rules is a good thing as the series is becoming more International it will help the marshalls when the series visits other countries to know 100% what is going on when you consider that a lot of the marshalls in Shanghai for example will be used to the FIA flag system.

It makes sense now, even if the races do not go outside the US - which of course they do.

The marshal force for Champ Car is already an international team.

Apart from the fact the Race Director is a Kiwi, 40 of the 124 Flag and Comms guys at Vegas are from outside the USA, and are as used to FIA rules as Champ Car or ALMS, both of whom are trying to standardise on near FIA procedures.