Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Feb 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1831982)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Houston

Anyone here been to the Houston race? What are your thoughts on it? I'm going to be going this year (first Champcar event since Brands) and need to get on and organise the tickets - any suggestions on that? Best/worst places to sit? I did post a thread in the Trackside forum but there was no response, so I'm trying again here!
Old 2 Feb 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1832114)   #2
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless you have other connections or ways to obtain pit passes or paddock passes - I always suggest the Start Finish Line Grandstands or "Gold tickets for the races. THe pit action and the start of the race are so cool.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 20:36 (Ref:1833475)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the tip.

Everything is set now, flights, hotels & car booked. Have just received this message from the organisers:

Quote:
Perfect! That's what I needed. You're all set. I got you on the top row of Grandstand 1, Section R - just across from pit lane. Thanks for your support. Mark.
Can't say enough about the organisers, they've bent over backwards to help. Amazing, we're not used to that in the UK

Can't wait for the race now! Anyone else going?
Old 4 Feb 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1833511)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Craig, you should also ask this in the Sportscar forum...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Feb 2007, 02:18 (Ref:1834399)   #5
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Craig,

I went to the race last year (and I live in Houston). Thankfully; the race is in April this year instead of May. It was sooooooo hot last year. I thought that the weekend was put together pretty well for a first event at a new venue. It was sad that they had to throw in the 11th hour chicane last year, but the course has been reconfigured this year with a kinder/gentler left-right chicane (now called turn 2):

If you will be there for the full three days; you will find that on Friday you can sit in any grandstand that you like. This will give you the opportunity to see the cars from many different vantage points, take some pictures, ... whatever. Then on Saturday and Sunday you have your reserved seat in the main grandstand which should give you a pretty good view of the cars coming through the final two turns, down the start/finish straight, through the Turn 1 kink, the turn 2 chicane, and finally the 90 degree left at turn 3.

The best part about the main grandstands has to be the view of the pits though. You can see everything that is going on with no obstructions. you also can watch the viedo feed on two giant jumbotrons on either side of the building behind the pit lane.

I hope you have a great time; don't miss the ALMS race on Saturday night

Last edited by yamato; 6 Feb 2007 at 02:23.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 17:11 (Ref:1834804)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Thanks for that, yamato, fantastic to have some input from someone who's been and is local to the event.

I'll be flying in on Friday and making my way to the circuit from the airport (I think I land at 1430ish but may be wrong.) Have you seen the schedule for Friday and, if so, will I get any track time then bearing in mind I have to go through immigration, collect my car and actually find the place!

Also, seeing you live there, any tips for places to visit around the city on Saturday morning? It'll be nice to get a little feel for the place!
Old 6 Feb 2007, 19:32 (Ref:1834894)   #7
yamato
Racer

I think that there is qualifying for the ALMS race late on Friday (as the race is on Saturday night (19.00 - 21.45 I think).

I'll see what I can find,....

As to "stuff to see"; are you staying somewhere near the Reliant Park area?
Old 6 Feb 2007, 19:56 (Ref:1834908)   #8
yamato
Racer

OK, the schedules are not yet available; but here is what the day one schedule looked like last year:

Since the Champcar race this year will not be held at night, but during the day on Sunday, there will be no need for the first round of CC qualifying to be at night. I think this will move the ALMS qualifying into that slot. It will also be a little more realistic as the ALMS qulaifying last year took place at a time where there were track temps that you would have never seen in the race.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1835614)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Cool! I understood the ALMS race was gonna be in the late afternoon/early evening, but it'd be great if it was in the afternoon! Damn shame the Champcar race is in the day this year, it must have been spectacular last year?

I'll be staying in the Holiday Inn at 8111 Kirby Drive, which I'm told is a short walk across a parking lot to the race circuit. I want to visit Minute Maid Park when I'm in town, even though the Astros aren't playing. I have this strange desire to visit all the MLB parks, for some reason!

On the Monday after the race I plan on driving up to Arlington to watch the Texas Rangers, providing I can get tickets, and then have a look around a few places in Dallas before heading across to Memphis via a few State Parks and a Narional Park. After that, down to Birmingham, on to Talladega for the Busch Series and Nextel Cup races and then, finally, back to Houston via New Orleans.

So, and I know this is wildly off topic now so feel free to send me a private message if you prefer, any tips on must see places in Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Birmingham, or anything along the route, would be very much appreciated
Old 7 Feb 2007, 17:47 (Ref:1835621)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
lol, I just re-read your post and realised that, last year, the registration was at the place I'm staying. So I guess it is gonna be pretty close to the circuit!
Old 7 Feb 2007, 18:30 (Ref:1835650)   #11
yamato
Racer

yeah the holiday inn boarders the Reliant property on the north side. so it is just off of the map to the north of the football stadium. It's about as close as you can get to the track.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 20:14 (Ref:1835724)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Excellent! Means I can enjoy a couple of beers and then amble back to my hotel without having to worry about driving
Old 19 Feb 2007, 22:12 (Ref:1845858)   #13
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See you there Craig.
I will be flying in Thursday Pm, and am working for Champ Car, but don't know which corner yet.

Keep in touch and I might even find time to meet for a drink
Old 21 Feb 2007, 00:11 (Ref:1846877)   #14
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'll be there that weekend as well. The team that I work for has a 2 car Star Mazda programme running this year

Come by the Aim Autosport awning and say hi
Old 21 Feb 2007, 16:20 (Ref:1847376)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Will there be free beer? Who shall I ask for?
Old 21 Feb 2007, 23:35 (Ref:1847631)   #16
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm not in charge of the alchy :lol:

ask for Cyril