Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Nov 2002, 23:23 (Ref:421022)   #1
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JIMMY WINS! Did Green-Whino Racing try to ruin the Race?

Mikey in front, Mr. Judd blowing his engine for several laps & then parks on the racing surface instead of pulling off the track. On top of the obvious BS with PT, this smacks of collusion. Thank God it didn't work ! CONGRATS JIMMY! How will TG find a way to give the Irrelevant500 to Whino after he blows his engine next year?
Old 3 Nov 2002, 23:28 (Ref:421030)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, that is pretty suspicious.... but, you think they would have known they'd red flag it. Oh well, I'm just glad Michael didn't win and it's good to see Jimmy still has something left.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 3 Nov 2002, 23:39 (Ref:421040)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suspicious... but Vasser won!
Old 3 Nov 2002, 23:43 (Ref:421043)   #4
jcclausen
Rookie

jcclausen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Dario did was totally uncalled for. Had the order been reversed, Vasser leading with Andretti second, you can bet Dario would of found an out of the way place to park it. I hope CART fines him, BIG! Talents such as he displayed today will be much more appreciated over in the GIRL(George's Indy Race League).

Last edited by jcclausen; 3 Nov 2002 at 23:51.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 23:50 (Ref:421050)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe... maybe... maybe it was unintentional.. who knows?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:03 (Ref:421059)   #6
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Rahal said on Speed was pretty classic "You know that was a real Bush league move on Darios part" I hope Mr. Judd enjoys his stay at the ultimate bush league next year. I think this was deliberate no question and CART should fine the bas***d.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:04 (Ref:421060)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't seen it, but have heard about it, and I think it's disgusting behaviour, but seeing how Team Green have been acting lately, I wouldn't put anything past them.

My opinion of Dario took another fall after pulling antics like that, while Mikey obviously needs to be handed victories as he can't win them by himself.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:20 (Ref:421075)   #8
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Dario did it on purpose than he is an idiot.

Had it stayed green Andretti would have stood an excellent chance of winning. If it finishes yellow than Franchitti looks like a jerk. If it goes red than, as we saw, Vasser wins easily.

When DaMatta stayed on track in Laguna Seca with his blown engine he benefitted from his evilness. Dario's situation was different, he had nothing personally to gain, and as I have said, it didn't even help his team. So if Dario did it on purpose he is both evil and stupid.

Last edited by Arneal; 4 Nov 2002 at 00:21.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:49 (Ref:421089)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or maybe since there was only a few laps to go he was trying to stick with it and try to salvage a points finish, it wouldnt be the first time someone's done that on an oval.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 00:55 (Ref:421093)   #10
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arneal from previous years Darios actions would have helped his team. Last year CART would have just waved the yellow flag and Mikey would have won under the yellow. This was the first time that this rule change was used this year so maybe someone in the Dario camp forgot about this. In my opinion Dario could of atleast driven the car off the apron and into a runoff area. Don't forget Dario, Mikey, and to a lesser extent Tony are pretty paranoid these days because of their defection next year. They blame their performance on CART and feel mistreated so why wouldn't Dario know he's about to blow and park his car on the apron on purpose knowing the event may end in a yellow and his spoiled whiney boss would win.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 01:29 (Ref:421100)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rahal certainly believed he did it deliberately. I personally think it was entirely too dangerous a move for him to have pulled it deliberately. I do believe that Kim Green told him to stay out as long as he could, hoping the race would finish under yellow or Vasser would somehow trip over him, but looking at that fire I don't think Dario was worried about where he parked.

I think it is time these people cleared out though as they are poisoning the atmosphere big time.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 05:23 (Ref:421162)   #12
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe how acidic most of the postings in this thread are against those guys who are leaving the series! I think you folks need to back off with your poison darts a bit. Give Andretti credit for running a great race (and Jimmy and even greater one), and give Dario the benefit of the doubt for parking his flaming car where he saw fit in order to evacuate. I really doubt these paranoid conspiracies that are alluded to have any merit. I, for one, really enjoyed the race.... why all this negativity, folks?

And, I enjoyed Tony's compliments to the Speed TV crew. I feel the same as he that they have done a superb job enlightening and entertaining us viewers. Tony, I will miss your good natured soul on the broadcasts next year.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 07:00 (Ref:421194)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll wait until it is shown on TV down here (next thursday night ) but i'm with Liz on this one, there would have been a huge risk in doing what is being suggested. I'm assuming that oil would have been dumped all over the place, that would hardly give Michael an advantage, he would be first on the scene of an oil slick. As i said i'll wait to see it for myself though.

Sounds like an awesome race, can't wait to see it.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 07:38 (Ref:421204)   #14
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next thurs racer69? It says this thurs in the TV guide for Perth, 12:30am.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 4 Nov 2002, 08:58 (Ref:421235)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I meant the next thursday coming up, meaning this thursday, actually technically it's friday
Old 4 Nov 2002, 09:26 (Ref:421252)   #16
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok then

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 4 Nov 2002, 09:39 (Ref:421256)   #17
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said BobbyB.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:59 (Ref:421449)   #18
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crazytrain, "This was the first time that this rule change was used this year so maybe someone in the Dario camp forgot about this." This not the first time that CART used the rule that all races will finish on a green flag conditions. In Vancouver the same situation happen. If the race continued under yellow while the clean up of Adrain's crash the race would have finished under the yellow. CART red flagged the race and started again once the track was ready. Who benefited from this...it was Dario. Team Kool/Green knows this. They should have told Dario to get off the track and not cause as yellow flag.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 15:31 (Ref:421466)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Disgraceful behaviour from Dario and the whole Satanic TAG squad. This attempting to rig results has to be watched for, but at least Jimmy won and the actual race was thrilling, which were both just what CART needed, so the focus shpould be more on that.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 16:31 (Ref:421521)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think this was just a case of trying to nurse a car home. If choosing betwen blowing a motor at 200mph + or parking it I think Dario would have chosen the park it scenario if he knew it would blow. Would it have been more prudent to pull over sooner? Probably. Are you out there to collect every point possible? For sure. Sometimes you get caught with competing interests and your motor hand-grenades, and then no one is happy!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 16:43 (Ref:421535)   #21
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Arneal
If Dario did it on purpose than he is an idiot.

Had it stayed green Andretti would have stood an excellent chance of winning. If it finishes yellow than Franchitti looks like a jerk. If it goes red than, as we saw, Vasser wins easily.
bing bing bing....finally..the correct answer.....

rahal is a paranoid old queen.........who apparently hadn't read the rules.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 16:53 (Ref:421547)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm pretty sure that Dario must have known his engine was ready to buy the farm. I doubt if it caught him by surprise! A superspeedway is hardly the place to try to nurse a failing engine home. If you slow down, you become a hazard. If you explode, you become a safety risk. If you park it, you save face. There was another car, (was it Nakano's?), who parked the car before the car could become an on-track hazard. The team knew that the RR wheel bearing was overheating, and they did what any sensible team would have done. Park the car, thank the sponsors, and have a seat. Precisely what Dario's team should have done. With all of the telemetry on these engines, it's absurd to think that nobody behind pitwall knew that a total failure was inevitable.

Funny how it all backfired on them. Justice was done.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 16:55 (Ref:421548)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
By-the-way, I'd have been miffed at Dario and his team even if they weren't defecting. It was just poor sportsmanship. Even more than that, it was downright dangerous.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 17:36 (Ref:421584)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
da Matta, Jourdain and Dominguez all got out of the way quite well
Old 4 Nov 2002, 18:04 (Ref:421598)   #25
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were at the race and saw Franchitti's car slowing for a couple of laps. Then, he came by us (turn 4) at about 120 mph and his engine sounded like ****! My buddy and I looked at each other and said, "why doesn't he just park it?" He continued sloooowly across the finish line, and then through turns 1 and 2. It took him so long to get back around the track that we actually forgot about him. Next thing you know, he's stopping at turn 4 with the engine on fire. If the slow speeds and a sputtering engine are normal to Franchitti, he'll fit in perfectly in the EARL.