Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2009, 18:51 (Ref:2448788)   #1
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Could we see the return of the BRDC International Trophy in 2010?

With the possibility of Donington Park not being ready for next year becoming a increasingly likely prospect, and Mr Ecclestone standing firm to his pledge that it's a Donington GP or no GP for Britain, would it be possible for the BRDC to bring back the International Trophy as a non-championship British F1 round?

Of course, there's a reason there hasn't been non-championship F1 event since 1983, but with us seemingly returning to a (relatively) low budget F1, could teams now consider taking part in one of these traditional events again? It looks at the moment as though there will (at least) be 26 cars on the grid, so even if half the teams brought two cars and the rest brought one, you'd still have a 19 car grid. Or of course 10 teams could turn with two or more cars, and three teams need not apply.

Without having to line Mr Ecclestone's pockets, the event might even be able to pay enough money to the participating teams to cover their costs. Think about it, there wouldn't be any FOM fees, they'd be able sell trackside hoardings (which you can't at an FOM event), sell TV rights across the world, take all the profits from ticket sales and, without any FOM, all the (not so) big (as it was) hospitality money. All this on top of the constant F1 power-swingometer activities, FOCA might see this as an opportunity to get one over on FOM and the FIA.

Also, without any dodgy tactics from Bernie, there should be enough weekends free to hold it. By my count, if there's no British GP next year, we'll be looking at a 17 race World Championship, so there should be space. Of course, Bernie would most probably try to block any attempt at running a none FOM F1 meeting, so would probably bring back a North America race to fill out the calendar. Though this would most probably scupper any idea of a Silverstone non-championship race, it would prove to be a win-win situation for FOCA who would have got their desired North American race back and would be paid by Ecclestone to go to it!

I hope the BRDC have looked into this option, especially as next year could be the best possible time for a non-championship race to return to the F1 scene. Seeing as they've already burnt their bridges to FOM, I don't see what they have to lose...

(And for any smart Alec's out there, yes I know that the BRDC International Trophy still exists as the name of the FIA Historic F1 race at Silverstone, but you know what I mean. )

EDIT: Just thought, for anybody who's never heard of the BRDC International Trophy, there's a pretty good page on Wikipedia about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRDC_International_Trophy
Old 24 Apr 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2448862)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I doubt it would ever happen, but its a nice idea.

I'm sure Bernie has loads of clauses and counter-clauses in their team's contracts.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2448865)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But the Concorde Agreement has expired, remember. This would hypothetically be a great two fingered salute to Mr Pudding Basin Midget, if he isn't keen on stepping in himself. Spanky is up for re-election this year, hopefully FOTA will agree on a candidate that can be supported.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2448941)   #4
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
With the possibility of Donington Park not being ready for next year becoming a increasingly likely prospect, and Mr Ecclestone standing firm to his pledge that it's a Donington GP or no GP for Britain, would it be possible for the BRDC to bring back the International Trophy as a non-championship British F1 round?

Of course, there's a reason there hasn't been non-championship F1 event since 1983, but with us seemingly returning to a (relatively) low budget F1, could teams now consider taking part in one of these traditional events again? It looks at the moment as though there will (at least) be 26 cars on the grid, so even if half the teams brought two cars and the rest brought one, you'd still have a 19 car grid. Or of course 10 teams could turn with two or more cars, and three teams need not apply.

Without having to line Mr Ecclestone's pockets, the event might even be able to pay enough money to the participating teams to cover their costs. Think about it, there wouldn't be any FOM fees, they'd be able sell trackside hoardings (which you can't at an FOM event), sell TV rights across the world, take all the profits from ticket sales and, without any FOM, all the (not so) big (as it was) hospitality money. All this on top of the constant F1 power-swingometer activities, FOCA might see this as an opportunity to get one over on FOM and the FIA.

Also, without any dodgy tactics from Bernie, there should be enough weekends free to hold it. By my count, if there's no British GP next year, we'll be looking at a 17 race World Championship, so there should be space. Of course, Bernie would most probably try to block any attempt at running a none FOM F1 meeting, so would probably bring back a North America race to fill out the calendar. Though this would most probably scupper any idea of a Silverstone non-championship race, it would prove to be a win-win situation for FOCA who would have got their desired North American race back and would be paid by Ecclestone to go to it!

I hope the BRDC have looked into this option, especially as next year could be the best possible time for a non-championship race to return to the F1 scene. Seeing as they've already burnt their bridges to FOM, I don't see what they have to lose...

(And for any smart Alec's out there, yes I know that the BRDC International Trophy still exists as the name of the FIA Historic F1 race at Silverstone, but you know what I mean. )

EDIT: Just thought, for anybody who's never heard of the BRDC International Trophy, there's a pretty good page on Wikipedia about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRDC_International_Trophy
Nice idea sniper.
I remember, with fondness, the "Race of Champions" meetings at Brands Hatch. But I see a big spanner, with "Money" written across it, being thrown into the works. If they're trying to cut the cost down, why would they then compete in non-championship races.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2449440)   #5
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Nice idea sniper.
I remember, with fondness, the "Race of Champions" meetings at Brands Hatch. But I see a big spanner, with "Money" written across it, being thrown into the works. If they're trying to cut the cost down, why would they then compete in non-championship races.
If it's not part of the FIA championship,wouldn't any attendant expense have to be treated as a separate item?Could be a useful way to circumvent the testing restrictions as well as giving the participants a share of the gate and television money.Getting paid for "testing" in this way would certainly reduce costs.I doubt the FIA would want to argue too hard about the matter as the European Commission are known to have a watching brief on any attempt to interfere with or manipulate businesses in Europe.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2449448)   #6
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But It would still cost a lot of money. They'd have to use seperate engines to start with.
The "testing" bit is interesting, but I can then see MM banning all those who competed from the rest of the F1 season, as they had been "testing". Still, we can dream!
Old 26 Apr 2009, 20:02 (Ref:2450136)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a fantastic idea. However, I suspect that the money such an event would costs is likely to derail the idea. Also, I would question whether the event would generate enough revenue to assist in funding the race. In my view TV broadcasters and sponsors would probably be content to pay a higher amount if could be guarranteed that McLaren, Ferrari and Renault would all turn up running their regular drivers. However, a non championship race in which the front runners are, say, Liuzzi in a Force India and Hartley in a Toro Rosso would create an event with a lower profile.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2451851)   #8
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My idea might not be as fanciful as it sounds, a quote from Grandprix.com about the future of the British Grand Prix:
Quote:
Formula One Management may say that it will not run a British GP but the teams are not very happy with that idea and we have even heard the suggestion that they would do their own deal with Silverstone and run a non-championship race if FOM refused to include an event on the World Championship calendar. Thus negotiation and compromise will be necessary.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21420.html

Unless they heard my suggestion, it looks like I might have been one step ahead of the media!

Remember kids, you heard this news from me first.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2451874)   #9
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
My idea might not be as fanciful as it sounds, a quote from Grandprix.com about the future of the British Grand Prix:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21420.html

Unless they heard my suggestion, it looks like I might have been one step ahead of the media!

Remember kids, you heard this news from me first.
Sniper for FIA president!
Old 28 Apr 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2451876)   #10
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Its a fantastic idea. However, I suspect that the money such an event would costs is likely to derail the idea. Also, I would question whether the event would generate enough revenue to assist in funding the race. In my view TV broadcasters and sponsors would probably be content to pay a higher amount if could be guarranteed that McLaren, Ferrari and Renault would all turn up running their regular drivers. However, a non championship race in which the front runners are, say, Liuzzi in a Force India and Hartley in a Toro Rosso would create an event with a lower profile.
1983, Brands Hatch. Danny Sullivan, in the Benetton Tyrell had an excellent dice with Keke Rosberg in the Williams. Sometimes not having the top teams, running away with it, makes a better race.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2451915)   #11
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I find the idea that money could derail such an event a little ludicrous.

The Consortium that 'owns ' the sport takes venue advertising, race fees and television rights out of the sport, returning about 50% through funding and travelling allowances.
Any independent event could be sold as a unique 'one off' event therefore gathering all the revenue to itself.
Britain has some of the highest ticket costs and at a similar figure such an event could easily be affordable especially when most of the teams are based in the UK.
TV rights to the one off could be sold around the world as a special event to broadcasters that do not have a current contract....if they wish to bid for it.

The sticking point is the interference of the FIA and Bernie's boys.
They would no doubt try to minimise the event and raise obstacles and if it was held at Silverstone,(as it would), then Bernie would not be happy.

It wouldn't have to be one race either, a two heat event of two 100 mile races, or even three 100km sprints.... or some other variation.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 02:18 (Ref:2451929)   #12
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Don't see why this event should be held at Silverstone, although I'm not saying it shouldn't. The main sticking point for some circuits not holding the GP is the money they have to pay to BE and all the politics involved. I'm sure they'd be quite happy to hold an event, involving F1 teams, that doesn't come with all the baggage.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2452249)   #13
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Whatever happens, if they don't have Bernie onboard, they won't be allowed to call anything by the name F1. Makes the advertising potentially a bit "funky".
Old 29 Apr 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2452256)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Don't see why this event should be held at Silverstone, although I'm not saying it shouldn't.
Where else could it go? It would only happen if Donington couldn't stage the race and I don't think any of the other circuits are up to the required safety standards are they? (unless of course by virtue of being a non-championship race it could run at a lower graded track)
Old 29 Apr 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2452432)   #15
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Well if it wasn't F1 then it wouldn't be required to run on tracks that complied to F1 standards....

However in reality the drivers would want an F1 rating. The next best level would be an international 'B' rating which is the next level down fromm an 'A' (F1) rating.

Again nothing else in the UK is suitable other than Silverstone, Donnington and I assume Brands Hatch makes a B because A1GP is held there.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2453019)   #16
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Snetterton, Oulton Park