Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 Aug 2002, 20:58 (Ref:365712)   #1
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happenned to the Mille Miglia?

What happenned to the great Italian road race? I read the thrilling Nuvolari story in another thread and it got me thinking. It sounded like a magnificent event so why is it no longer around? A victim of safety?

Anyone know?
Old 25 Aug 2002, 23:02 (Ref:365738)   #2
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Fraid so - after Fon de Portago's terrible accident in 1957 (and two other fatalities in the same race) it was converted into a regularity trial for three more runnings, but it wasn't the same thing.

Bob Marley
Old 26 Aug 2002, 18:21 (Ref:366111)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What actually happenned in 1957 then?
Old 26 Aug 2002, 18:59 (Ref:366147)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
What actually happenned in 1957 then?
I’m grateful to Ivan Rendall and his book “The Chequered Flag”.

“As if to underline Italy’s relative decline in motor racing, one of its greatest events the Mille Miglia was banned in 1957 after a fearsome accident. Lying fourth, Alfonse de Portago’s Ferrari burst a tyre at 170 mph. It left the road, cut down a telegraph pole, scythed through a group of spectators, hit a bank and careered back on to the road, killing nine people, five of them children together with de Portago and his co-driver. The barrage of protest – from the Roman Catholic Church among others – ensured that the Mille Miglia would never be run again.”
Old 26 Aug 2002, 19:09 (Ref:366161)   #5
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mille Miglia has been revived about ten (?) years ago as a regularity race for vintage cars. It is today one of the most importance vintage road events in the world (if not the most important).

I had the chance of participating in 1996 and 1998 in a support vehicle - my former landlord races every year in a 1933 Bentley - and it was one of the most fantastic experiences I have ever lived.

In some roads that freaking Bentley was far faster than our Land Rover turbo! What an astonishing machine.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 19:12 (Ref:366165)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Did it always follow the same route? And does the revival do so too?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 08:16 (Ref:367199)   #7
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Paulzinho, there is a really good little book I have called, 'Conte Maggi's Mille Miglia' by Peter Miller. Lots of interesting information (background and history), great photos, and all the results and maps of the different courses used over the years. I bought it a good few years back but it may still be in print.

Out of interest, does anyone know of a similar book for the other great Italian road race, the Targa Floria?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 09:30 (Ref:367229)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Thanks Allon, I'll keep an eye out for it!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:16 (Ref:367316)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are two other books you might look out for.

Mike Lawrence wrote a history of the Mille Miglia in 1988. It's not bad at all, and should be readily available for about £30-£35.

There is also the classic work by Count Giovanni "Johnny" Lurani. However, it's remained on my "dream on" list for ages, as I've not yet found a decent copy offered for less than £90.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:17 (Ref:367418)   #10
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
Out of interest, does anyone know of a similar book for the other great Italian road race, the Targa Floria?
"Road Race" by C.Jones, published 1977. Chaters have a copy for sale for £20 at the moment.

Bob Marley
Old 28 Aug 2002, 13:25 (Ref:367430)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Targa Florio, it ran until the early 70s didn't it, why was it cancelled, for similiar reasons?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 15:48 (Ref:367535)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A quick browse will whet your appetite.

Mille Miglia:
http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/miglia.htm
I think he's paraphrased the Conte Maggi book. He has a cover shot of the book on this page.

Targa Florio:
http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/floria.htm

This site has some other very nice stuff, too. Some beautiful vintage posters. I'm going to ask him where they might be obtained...

Last edited by paul-collins; 28 Aug 2002 at 15:55.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James