Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Dec 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1482661)   #51
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
bah humbug.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1483848)   #52
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been catching up on this thread, so HT Hughes are (have already) ceased production? thats sad, I've been wearing their product for over 20 years and extremely happy with them. I for one will definitely NOT be buying from AWS, several years ago they supplied free ovies for the grand prix, they are the worst ones i've ever had the misfortune to wear! much thicker material (not light enough) and like wearing cardboard! consequently they lay in a cupboard ever since. Are there any other alternative suppliers?
Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1483852)   #53
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
AWS has changed ownership since the RAC GBP overals. However, surely thicker overalls mean better quality? I have the first set of the new overalls and have to say they were very comfortable and I wore then in Dubai last weekend in 30 degrees and didn't find them any worse than others I have worn.

As always its a case of personal choice. The reason the BMMC went with AWS is that for the quality, they represented the best deal for our members.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1483858)   #54
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
Sorry Stephen but I fail to see the connection between 'thickness' and quality! however I totally agree about choice but, what other choice is there?
Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1483866)   #55
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I wasnt aware that HT Hughs had stopped selling them, have you double checked? The other place to try would be J Brand who make the Silverstone overalls but I think they are a similar quality to AWS
Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1483870)   #56
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
I didnt know that about HT Hughes either, just info i gleaned from earlier in the thread or have I mis-read?
Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1483873)   #57
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard
however I totally agree about choice but, what other choice is there?
Can't you just go to any workwear distrubutor and buy some. Most of them will do overalls with a fire retardent covering for welding etc...

I accept that they may cost quite a bit more but if you don't like whats on offer with a discount i can't see what other option you have.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1483949)   #58
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard
I didnt know that about HT Hughes either, just info i gleaned from earlier in the thread or have I mis-read?
I think you've misread, or added two & two & got five!

H T Hughes still exists - it's just that BMMC has changed supplier. There are several different styles of marshals' overalls listed on HTH's website, but none to the exact BMMC spec.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1483994)   #59
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, i have just got my new AWS ones to-day (to replace my well worn out 10yr+ old AWS ones) and am very pleased with them.

Thanks to BMMC , remguard and AWS for setting this up. It saved me money and enabled me to get what I wanted too.

Old 14 Dec 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1484193)   #60
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody
Well, i have just got my new AWS ones to-day (to replace my well worn out 10yr+ old AWS ones) and am very pleased with them.

Thanks to BMMC , remguard and AWS for setting this up. It saved me money and enabled me to get what I wanted too.

Over the years I have worn the "original" overalls (with the long white zip), AWS overalls bought privately, the AWS RAC overalls provided for the GP and, most recently, the BMMC/Remguard overalls.

As a "lady" - all I can say is they have all been singularly unflattering, slightly uncomfortable and a real b****r when it comes to going to the loo! So I have no real preference and they all seem to have lasted as well as each other, although the RAC ones are seldom worn because of the logo - yeuck - but the latest ones look very professional (XXX to Mike N).

However, if there is now an easier (and cheaper) way of getting the two piece version at least I might resolve one of those problems (I'll let you guess which one).

By the way, concerning the lack of regalia guys holding stock for new marshals - I have in the past donated overalls that I have "grown out of" for recycling, so long as they were in a "reasonable" state and by that I mean good enough for a newbie to get by in while they make their minds up about things and before they commit to any outlay. This might be worth pursuing, even if it only results in few numbers of recycled overalls!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1484215)   #61
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh

However, if there is now an easier (and cheaper) way of getting the two piece version at least I might resolve one of those problems (I'll let you guess which one).
The last set of overalls I bought about 3 years ago were two piece from AWS. They wore out as they were used almost every day
Old 14 Dec 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1484245)   #62
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
By the way, concerning the lack of regalia guys holding stock for new marshals - I have in the past donated overalls that I have "grown out of" for recycling, so long as they were in a "reasonable" state and by that I mean good enough for a newbie to get by in while they make their minds up about things and before they commit to any outlay. This might be worth pursuing, even if it only results in few numbers of recycled overalls!
Great idea unless you happen to have your name embroidered above the pocket!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1484255)   #63
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to compliment AWS on the quality of their overalls. In the days when I wore them I always used to get the made to measure ones. Found them very comfortable to wear and very good quality.

As for the RAC ones issued at the GP some years ago, the only problem I had with them was that the belt didn't fit round the overalls in the bag, let alone when I was wearing them!

There are occasions when I still need to wear overalls and both the GP ones and the other made to measures still fit and are still intact!
Old 16 Dec 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1485228)   #64
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrammy
Great idea unless you happen to have your name embroidered above the pocket!
You could always sew a badge over it to hide the fact it is someone else's name - maybe.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1485288)   #65
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You could always sew a badge over it to hide the fact it is someone else's name - maybe.
Or change your name!!