Old 21 May 2002, 05:14 (Ref:291112)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
John Toad Believes It Was Good For F1

Quote:
“I know that the public love us. They have been let down, they are angry. But anger is a part of life. Do sailors stop loving the sea because of the storms?” he told L'Equipe. “We switched the positions and it suddenly takes on planetary dimensions. In some ways, it's good because it prevents people from thinking about wars, famine and sickness, but at the end of the day, our current 'problem' is to explain our team strategy when our drivers are in a position to finish first and second. We could be in a far more difficult position and a lot of teams would doubtless love to have such concerns at the moment. Some people claim they won't watch F1 any more, but I think the Monaco Grand Prix will have an exceptional audience this year. The public will want to know what Ferrari are going to do now, to find out what happens next in the story."

This guy is so removed from reality that he either refuses to see or admit the damage he has done to F1. The only reason I will tape Monaco and watch the replay is to see if MSch got onto the podium, and whether the Tifosi throw tomatoes at him if he did.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 21 May 2002, 06:05 (Ref:291120)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure how good it was for Formula 1 as a whole. But I definitely agree with a paragraph you haven't mentioned:
Quote:
When we took on Barrichello, it was seen as a bad choice. It seemed like we hired a good-for-nothing, a whinger. Today the whole world finds it normal for him to win and for us to have faith in him.
Old 21 May 2002, 08:20 (Ref:291176)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder what Barrichello said in private when he read that. Of course it would be all smiles on the outside..

The whole Ferrari management are just so damn complacent! I really hope something happens at the hearing on June 26. Only if it's just to shut them up.

Just because of the heritage of Ferrari they think they can get away with or say anything they like. I'm not a Ferrari fan, but I'm disgusted at how they are treating the Tifosi.

How much did Todt, Brawn and di Montezemolo have to do with the 40 years Enzo spent building the heritage in the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's? They did not create it, but they're going the right way if they want to destroy it.

If they don't renew their contracts, they'll leave behind a smouldering mess at the end of 2004.. What will happen then?
Old 21 May 2002, 08:42 (Ref:291190)   #4
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have always thought this guy was a few pence short of a quid.{the toad}
that article confirms it!!!!!
Old 21 May 2002, 10:38 (Ref:291267)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
“We switched the positions and it suddenly takes on planetary dimensions. In some ways, it's good because it prevents people from thinking about wars, famine and sickness,

Jean Todt for the next U.N peace keepers job?
Old 21 May 2002, 10:42 (Ref:291274)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wanna see the crowds reaction to the next Michael win. Will it be booed again?
Old 21 May 2002, 10:59 (Ref:291296)   #7
koby
Rookie

koby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toad just confirmed that Formula One is actually a very expensive soap opera - where the scripts are written to statisfy corporate sponsoring moguls, and then the show is taped infront of a live audience.
Old 21 May 2002, 11:00 (Ref:291297)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jean Todt is an arrogant, ignorant fool.
Old 21 May 2002, 11:01 (Ref:291299)   #9
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Todt is a Toad

Jean Todt's remarks are truly outrageous, but he really does bring out an important point. The "everybody else - well, almost everybody - does it" excuse is valid to an extent. I feel that Ferrari treated their fans and all F1 fans for that matter very poorly, but the fact is that the practice of team orders has been fairly widespread. On the other hand, they clearly seem to run aloul of the spitit of Section 48 and Section 151, c). I would like to see a good debate among the fans, the teams and the drivers of the pros and cons of team orders. If the pros win, we change the rules and shut up. If the cons win enforce the rules from here on out. I do believe enforcement is possible by monitoring the radio transmissions.
Old 21 May 2002, 13:09 (Ref:291450)   #10
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good points made here. For my part, Todt's remarks seem just so...ill-judged, almost deliberately provocative. I think this over-reaction either suggests a little more defensiveness than he admits to, or reveals -- as Valve says -- an astonishing disconnect from reality. His remarks about Rubens seem pointedly rude -- "see, I can poke him and he just smiles! See! See! I did it again! Why're you slapping yourself? Huh?" -- and very tacky indeed. His disdain for the real concerns of even his team's own fans -- "they were overwrought and emotional and just needed a good nap" -- is similarly grotesque, I think.

I, too, anticipate any podium appearance by MS with some relish, though I doubt anything very exciting will happen. I think MS's event horizon is fairly foreshortened, especially looking backware, so I doubt he'll even look at all uncomfortable. I'd *like* to think that this faux pas will weigh like a nightmare on his future successes, but really I doubt he's got it in him to second-guess himself in any really critical way, so he'll just sail on, accepting everything as his due.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Todt et al. meet the FIA; what sort of conciliatory spin can Ferrari produce, and how can the FIA do public damage control while swallowing the spin hook, line and sinker? Hmmmm....

Last edited by Bibendum; 21 May 2002 at 13:10.
Old 21 May 2002, 13:50 (Ref:291516)   #11
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Todt is mocking the people that actually take it like a soap opera these days.
"The public will want to know what Ferrari are going to do now, to find out what happens next in the story."
and
"We switched the positions and it suddenly takes on planetary dimensions. In some ways, it's good because it prevents people from thinking about wars, famine and sickness, "
How can Todt be off the planet? It's actually true. Serious;y, how much time did people devote to F1 after Sunday. Now there will surely be a bigger audience at Monaco, (despite all protestations). So many things to look out for now as a result of Austria.
Old 21 May 2002, 16:08 (Ref:291629)   #12
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's pretty bad that they should talk about it in this way, just because it is true it doesn't mean it's a good thing. Personally I stayed on to watch the press conference for the first time in ages (normally I don't bother). But it wore off pretty quickly and once my favourite team has DNF'd I'll be switching off and doing something more useful.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 21 May 2002, 16:55 (Ref:291659)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mr todt is totally right, there's no way people won't watch monaco. how many f1 fans are going to be sat in front of a blank screen thinking 'no, mustn't watch the best race of the year.. one part of tradition that remains in f1.. must resist.....'

i think not.

everyone'll be back. just because eastenders might make a dodgy episode, it doesn't mean everyone stops watching. when the storylines get dull in general they do, but that's far from happening.

i hate to say it, but i can see the world from his point of view now.
Old 21 May 2002, 17:02 (Ref:291663)   #14
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it'll be hard for me to stop
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 21 May 2002, 17:10 (Ref:291668)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
don't then! it's only flippin' motorsport.... life's too short to stop watching something because it's morally wrong. it doesn't stop people watching big brother....
Old 21 May 2002, 20:14 (Ref:291853)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
“I know that the public love us. They have been let down, they are angry. But anger is a part of life. Do sailors stop loving the sea because of the storms?” he told L'Equipe. “We switched the positions and it suddenly takes on planetary dimensions. In some ways, it's good because it prevents people from thinking about wars, famine and sickness, but at the end of the day, our current 'problem' is to explain our team strategy when our drivers are in a position to finish first and second. We could be in a far more difficult position and a lot of teams would doubtless love to have such concerns at the moment. Some people claim they won't watch F1 any more, but I think the Monaco Grand Prix will have an exceptional audience this year. The public will want to know what Ferrari are going to do now, to find out what happens next in the story."
Here's what Todt was saying in his world..

“I know that the $$$ love us. They have been let down, they are angry. But anger is a part of $$$. Do sailors stop loving the $$$ because of the storms?” he told L'Equipe. “We switched the $$$ and it suddenly takes on $$$ dimensions. In some ways, it's good because it prevents people from thinking about $$$, $$$ and $$$, but at the end of the day, our current 'problem' is to explain our team $$$ when our $$$ are in a position to finish first and second. We could be in a far more $$$ position and a lot of teams would doubtless love to have such $$$ at the moment. Some people claim they won't watch F1 any more, but I think the Monaco Grand Prix will have an exceptional $$$ this year. The public will want to know what Ferrari are going to do now, to find out what happens next in the $$$."
Old 21 May 2002, 20:40 (Ref:291877)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funny thing is Spud, alot of that makes sense.

And I'd have thought my anger would've worn off by now....
Old 21 May 2002, 21:35 (Ref:291925)   #18
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
TO THE TOAD:

Quote:
I know that the public love us
Name one public body which endorsed the decison. Give reference to one survey in which public said that they still love Ferrari.

Quote:
They have been let down
So you ******* admit that your deciosn was BAD and it let the public down

Quote:
they are angry
So you take the public for granted!

Quote:
Do sailors stop loving the sea because of the storms
Toad.. Sailors dont hate the Sea, but the public hates YOU!
Old 21 May 2002, 21:39 (Ref:291931)   #19
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Toad Believes It Was Good For F1

Well he is a big member of the Ferrari team, so he is hardly gonna say it was wrong is he?
Old 21 May 2002, 21:40 (Ref:291934)   #20
J.McClane
Veteran

Hang on........maybe i shouldn't have used the term "big member"
Old 21 May 2002, 22:47 (Ref:291991)   #21
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by J.Mclane
Hang on........maybe i shouldn't have used the term "big member"
It's the polite way to say it, but yes, you should have!!
Old 21 May 2002, 23:25 (Ref:292012)   #22
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"For the good of the game"???
What's this?

Last edited by Mekola; 21 May 2002 at 23:25.
Old 21 May 2002, 23:52 (Ref:292021)   #23
J.McClane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun

It's the polite way to say it, but yes, you should have!!
Surley Mr Gun, you are not sayin' that he is a large slang word for a male reproductive organ?
Old 22 May 2002, 00:12 (Ref:292032)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Not sure how good it was for Formula 1 as a whole. But I definitely agree with a paragraph you haven't mentioned:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When we took on Barrichello, it was seen as a bad choice. It seemed like we hired a good-for-nothing, a whinger. Today the whole world finds it normal for him to win and for us to have faith in him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well Red, I left it out because I thought that it was not directly related to the title of my thead. However, to let you know how I felt about it, I was embarassed for Rubens when he mentioned that as the excuse for pulling over, and I cringed when he repeated it. I guess the Toad wanted to impress on everybody that he paid big bucks for his Schu-shine boy, and he will make him shine-Schu's whenever he (Toad) pleases. Now if some of you can remember the thread I posted about this bizarre artist who wanted to sense the taste of new things, you can now understand why I laughed like mad when I read it. I was thinking of Rubens, but I erased it from that thread because I could't get myself to rubbish Rubens. I felt that would have been too provocative.
In closing, Toads actions are good for F1 in the same way that Tyson's brawl and biting Lewis on a podium was good for boxing.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 22 May 2002 at 00:15.
Old 22 May 2002, 00:14 (Ref:292033)   #25
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Todt and Brawn are Schumacher's yes-men. Simple as that. They are both likely to leave with Schumacher and so their fortunes are linked with Michael's. Whatever they say, shouldnt be debated much since its likely to be one sided from start to finish.