Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 27 Dec 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3872689)   #3601
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Alcohol, then…… Intrigued too. May be you can test it in a moped tank. If the odo shows 100 or more, keep the recipe secret!
Old 27 Dec 2018, 17:42 (Ref:3872691)   #3602
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
You won't be able to move in there, he's acquired yet another one. Lord knows where he's going to put it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Al and his pal knocked down some of the original pigpen walls and made more space..... which created a vacancy which I managed to fill before he did
Old 27 Dec 2018, 21:35 (Ref:3872715)   #3603
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit late to the ZA/ZB discussion but I have been out on the annual trip to buy more T-shirts. Having bought 4 I have now been told that 4 must go for polishing rags. I pointed out that I no longer have enough cars to require 4 polishing rags. This is a result of a new Rule 1 that before any new car arrives, an old one must go. Despite having sold 3 cars it seems Rule 1 above still applies. Joseph Heller wrote something about this.

Anyway, back to MGs. My first classic (circa 1973) was a racing green ZA, reg (I think) RPM324 or possibly 324RPM. The deal was £25 + another £25 when the log book turned up, which it never did. I put it in a girlfriend's dad's barn without asking but he was the sort of chap who had already written off 2 E-types and was quite sympathetic to the cause. Never did restore or get it on the road but I did paint the rocker cover red so it was 90% there

Eventually sold it to a work colleague for a tenner which set a precedent for almost every subsequent venture into car sales. He already owned an MGA so I guess there were many common components and that could have been the death knell for the ZA, at least it would have been spared the ignomony of the banger circuit.

Crikey, that was all a long time ago!
Old 27 Dec 2018, 21:49 (Ref:3872717)   #3604
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been watching videos of me spectaring at Brands aged about 6.Nothing has changed in 10 years.Actually my racing bug has probably gotten worse.Most of them consisted of me sitting on my own with a programme in one hand and a drink or pen in the other hand.My dad compares me to a old git sometimes also people do stare at me wondering if im a little odd.No chance.My dads leather still in his cupbaord 19 years after he last woar them.Still look great(ish).Anyway happy new year and hope all goes well whatever your racing,spectating,fixing,bodging or anything else.
Will
Old 27 Dec 2018, 21:52 (Ref:3872719)   #3605
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been watching Blackadder insults recently.Never get tired of it.Brilliant👍

Oh by the way I have a cunning plan...

Please say I'm the only one who has watched it.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3872734)   #3606
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have seen an almost fully restored Magnette in storage. Serious money spent.

Apart from a couple of trim pieces - one being a chrome strip for the bottom of the window aperture on the driver's door - and, I was told, an engine that was running like a bag of nails, the thing is truly immaculate.

That said the owner put it into storage some years ago and has not been near it since. The tyres could do with some air.

At least it has some decent covers over it and is indoors.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 06:31 (Ref:3872758)   #3607
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I have seen an almost fully restored Magnette in storage. Serious money spent.

Apart from a couple of trim pieces - one being a chrome strip for the bottom of the window aperture on the driver's door - and, I was told, an engine that was running like a bag of nails, the thing is truly immaculate.

At least it has some decent covers over it and is indoors.
Engine running like a bag of nails? Surely that’s period correct.....

There is a Magnette not far from the workshop that is the complete opposite. Not sure I dare stop in the road to take a pic.....
Old 28 Dec 2018, 06:42 (Ref:3872759)   #3608
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Colin I hope you'll have nothing to trade when we meet… Your jewel must be close to the arrival by now. Can you tell us how much serious is balaclava scrutineering in NZ? If I believe your "Semper ubi sub ubi" suggesting you're a French révolutionnaire - also called "sans culotte" - they dont bother that much.
Or may be your race suit is tartan replica, needing no underwear and your license issued by Scottish MSA, in other words… the Motscot!
Old 28 Dec 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3872760)   #3609
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
“Air Force One photographed over Sheffield”. According to wiki, the current planes (there are two apparently) are 747s that were Boeing ‘new old stock’ and in storage in the Mojave desert. The original customer airline went broke before delivery, and was ‘Transaero’, based in Russia.........

The legendary Ford Kent engine is 60 years old in 2019. Bit of a history lesson for anyone not fully conversant.... One question though- the Caterham pictured looks very like the Suzuki engined one?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthu...tandhp#image=1

Last edited by Mike Bell; 28 Dec 2018 at 07:14.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3872765)   #3610
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
the current planes (there are two apparently) are 747s that were Boeing ‘new old stock’ and in storage in the Mojave desert.
NOS, then? Isn't it the case for the actual user?
Old 28 Dec 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3872769)   #3611
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
“Air Force One photographed over Sheffield”. According to wiki, the current planes (there are two apparently) are 747s that were Boeing ‘new old stock’ and in storage in the Mojave desert. The original customer airline went broke before delivery, and was ‘Transaero’, based in Russia.........

The legendary Ford Kent engine is 60 years old in 2019. Bit of a history lesson for anyone not fully conversant.... One question though- the Caterham pictured looks very like the Suzuki engined one?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthu...tandhp#image=1
It took me a few minutes to work out that you were not suggesting that AF1 was powered by a Kent engine.....clearly the festive period has addled my brain!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 28 Dec 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3872773)   #3612
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerard, the car is about 10 days from arrival, whereas I won't be leaving for another month yet. NZ scrutineering is, err, relaxed. I doubt they will be interested in balaclavas and certainly not in sub ubis
Old 28 Dec 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3872774)   #3613
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
clearly the festive period has addled my brain!
A recent study confused me too, Will. Alcohol is responsible for two out of three accidents at night. I was wondering if we've better to be drunk at wheel during day light… Would it be safer?
Old 28 Dec 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3872777)   #3614
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anyone studied the changes to the so called "Highway Code" for 2019?

According to one graphic I saw cyclists are now "allowed" to ride side-by-side.

So does that mean they were not allowed to ride side by side before? Were any ever stopped and 'ticketed'?

In addition there are now to be minimum passing distances requiring a 1.5 metre gap. At first sight that sounds eminently sensible and possibly even a little less then generous. Either way it should be interesting to prove.

But is that 1.5 metres from the outermost cyclist of a group riding side-by-side?

The graphic also seems to show a distance of .75 metre to do with the distance of the bike from the edge of the road. It does not indicate whether this is the minimum distance the bike can be away form the kerb, the maximum distance or just some random number plucked from the air to make the entire process less understandable.

Are the any rules for cyclists to allow at least 1.5mtrs gap to any stationary vehicle they are passing? If a vehicle is sitting at lights, for example, and a bicycle comes alongside without leaving a 1.5mtr gap just as the vehicle starts to move, would moving attract a penalty for the vehicle driver?

Or are we simply seeing useful advice made into unreliable laws because Nanny State cannot help but interfere with people's lives to maintain some sort of semblance of control?
Old 28 Dec 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3872781)   #3615
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You make the point but may I ask two questions… Shouldn't the dimensions be indicated in Inches or Links now that… well you know what?!
Second, if my calculation is good it gives: .75 m for the kerb, .75 for the rider's width, 1.50 m for the distance and lets say 2 meters width for the vehicle taking over. This gives five meters if I'm correct.
So, are you B roads that wide and how do you hyde them to the foreigners' view? I wonder…
Old 28 Dec 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3872782)   #3616
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Has anyone studied the changes to the so called "Highway Code" for 2019?

According to one graphic I saw cyclists are now "allowed" to ride side-by-side.

So does that mean they were not allowed to ride side by side before? Were any ever stopped and 'ticketed'?

In addition there are now to be minimum passing distances requiring a 1.5 metre gap. At first sight that sounds eminently sensible and possibly even a little less then generous. Either way it should be interesting to prove.

But is that 1.5 metres from the outermost cyclist of a group riding side-by-side?

The graphic also seems to show a distance of .75 metre to do with the distance of the bike from the edge of the road. It does not indicate whether this is the minimum distance the bike can be away form the kerb, the maximum distance or just some random number plucked from the air to make the entire process less understandable.

Are the any rules for cyclists to allow at least 1.5mtrs gap to any stationary vehicle they are passing? If a vehicle is sitting at lights, for example, and a bicycle comes alongside without leaving a 1.5mtr gap just as the vehicle starts to move, would moving attract a penalty for the vehicle driver?

Or are we simply seeing useful advice made into unreliable laws because Nanny State cannot help but interfere with people's lives to maintain some sort of semblance of control?
Grant as a (sadly) former cyclist I should warn you that there are some cyclists it would be wise to give a very wide berth when overtaking. Personally I could get quite upset when cut up by some dopey motorist.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3872784)   #3617
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mind you five meters are, in principle, 248,55 Links. Bear in mind that all you mention comes from F-Froggy code de la route!
See that, Bob?
Old 28 Dec 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3872785)   #3618
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Here in Spain the cyclist "own" the roads, they overtake on pedestrian crossings and go round roundabouts the wrong way. They also ride 4 abreast and cause miles of traffic jams. The law just turn a blind eye to them
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Dec 2018, 12:45 (Ref:3872787)   #3619
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Has anyone studied the changes to the so called "Highway Code" for 2019? According to one graphic I saw cyclists are now "allowed" to ride side-by-side.bSo does that mean they were not allowed to ride side by side before? Were any ever stopped and 'ticketed'?

are we simply seeing useful advice made into unreliable laws because Nanny State cannot help but interfere with people's lives to maintain some sort of semblance of control?
Probably your last paragraph, Grant! Not sure though if the ‘Highway Code’ stuff is law, however? I always thought that riding parallel with another cyclist was only OK if no traffic behind...... There are pig-headed cyclists, as there are pig-headed motorists, as there are pig-headed pedestrians, so nothing will ever be perfect. I concur with bauble about being cut up- two days ago it was a Hi-Lux at a junction, the driver totally oblivious to my presence on a bike.

Think French requirement is for cars to give cyclists 1.0 metres clearance, so our 1.5m is generous. And Gordon- sure you weren’t watching the Vuelta?
Old 28 Dec 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3872788)   #3620
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a good idea?
Attached Thumbnails
856EA44D-4FB8-4EB9-A3EF-BB20AA3B1D17.jpeg  
Old 28 Dec 2018, 13:51 (Ref:3872791)   #3621
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

It seems that much of the article I read is based on this pamphlet from Dorset Police.

https://www.dorsetroadsafe.org.uk/me...ss-leaflet.pdf

As this appears to date from 2017 I don't suppose it is really related to 2019 Highway Code changes.

And I agree Mike, it is also my understanding that the Highway code is not "the law" BUT, since some of the guidance offered suggests that there are "interpretations" to be applied and the interpretation is likely to be based on what advice is offered in the Highway Code (in the absence of anything else acting as a source of authority in the pubic domain), I think it would be safer to assume that it would be the fall back document for any decision about, for example, matters like this.

'Rule139 of the Highway Code states:
“give cyclists at least as much room

as you would a car when overtaking”
and rule188 states “when passing a
cyclist give them plenty of room”. If
they look over their shoulder it could
mean that they may soon attempt to
turn right. Give them space and time
to do so.'

Once you add specified distances to the advice you have to consider whether that adds or detracts from common sense guidance.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3872792)   #3622
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Is this a good idea?
Gary you already have the 'free one'

Thanks for giving at least one man a good laugh.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3872797)   #3623
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Grant as a (sadly) former cyclist I should warn you that there are some cyclists it would be wise to give a very wide berth when overtaking. Personally I could get quite upset when cut up by some dopey motorist.

Indeed there are and I do.

Any elderly chap, for example, wobbling along in a badly painted 'cycle lane' trying to avoid the drains - especially with a bag of shopping hanging over the handlebars.

Any groups of fully kitted road racers out on a training run.

Any single cyclist attempting to get up to 12 mph on a main road whilst ignoring an excellent, wide and empty cycle lane running parallel.

Any cyclist wearing black in the rain on a dark night during commute time without displaying lights.

The guy on his commute from work zipping down a hill at close to 30mph passing queued cars riding on the centre line - at dusk without lights and presumably not realising that the height of SUVs and the brightness of the daylight running LEDs and headlights makes him invisible and very exposed at the various pinch points that councils like to impose. I assume he had brakes but was choosing not to use them. Leaving a gap to the cars he was overtaking seemed not to be something he had considered.

(Having done much the same on the same stretch of road a couple of times years ago but in broad daylight on a summer's evening and before the pinch points were introduced I am fully aware of how stupid his actions were.)

For some reason around here we seem to be inundated with fitness fanatics who leave their brains at home.

If they are cycling they will use badly maintained country roads full of potholes and blind bends and puff their way along at a speed that makes passing them slightly dodgy even it they were not all riding side by side or individually but an awkward distanced from one to the next. Most seem to be individuals not some sort of group training run, although we see both. I don;t think they ever consider the needs of other road users once they are on their bikes.

Sometimes runners are just as bad.

Boxing day morning, not much traffic about and in a small village I pulled onto a road through the village just after a cyclist had passed. Several parked cars and he was making reasonable speed so I hung back. He then backed off to let me pass before the next parked car and so I passed only for a car to come around the blind 90 degree right I was approaching. So I had to slow and delay the cyclist slightly (now being past him) as the approaching car seemed a little slow to pick up speed.

At that point a group of around 10 'lets run off this hangover' young professionals appeared around the corner, mostly running in the road and showing no signs of moving onto the path. They were, correctly, in my side of the road but seemingly about to stop. With the blind bend there was no way I could safely decide to drive past them until they moved. Had the cyclist not decided to back off on the downhill and let me past he could have negotiated them easily enough but now he was stuck behind me until the "runners" thought to move off the road. Which they did eventually but with no obvious perception of the need to share the facilities of the road equitably.

One would have to question their decision to run that stretch of road anyway as it is in no way pedestrian friendly at that point. There must have been better options for them.

I felt sorry for the cyclist. Our mutual understanding and joint good intentions were totally compromised by the sudden appearance of the oblivious runners.

I wonder what the Highway Code would have to say about that.

For those interested here is a link to a free pdf.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...30-11-2018.pdf
Old 28 Dec 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3872807)   #3624
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Bauble, can we go for one and a half, the second one being Johnny French? If my memory serves, while it last, cyclist are allowed to ride side by side only out of town. Because we are the most advanced kingdom from this side of the Channel, we now have troubles with electric trotinettes, written in a hurry new regulation is coming. May be too late because another use was found for those things…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgDUzbmf0B0
May be within few months you could consider your cyclists having two bags hanging on the handlebars! Free and rich. Lucky you!
Old 28 Dec 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3872824)   #3625
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Gary you already have the 'free one'

I originally read that as 'Buy one set one free'.
Closed Thread