Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 2 Jan 2000, 05:21 (Ref:13960)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I am going to post this here and in the racers forum:

What do you think is the best corner in the world to spectate on? Best for photos? Closest to the track? Most action?
Old 2 Jan 2000, 19:41 (Ref:13961)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I haven't been to too many overseas, but I think this takes some beating.

Paddock hill bend - Brands Hatch

An absolutely awesome plummet, that an eighties turbo F1 could try (I did say try) to take flat.

Add to that just a hint of a negative camber and a crest to make the car light just as you need to find the apex.

Spectating's pretty good, too. Closer than most, and the debris fence isn't too obtrusive.
Old 2 Jan 2000, 20:58 (Ref:13962)   #3
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best corner to watch any race is Tarzan corner at Zandvoort.
Alas, no big races there at the moment, except the Marlboro Challenge.
I think Eau Rouge at Spa-Franchorchamps is a very good place to watch the races.
And the Corkscrew, ofcourse.

Gerard.
Old 3 Jan 2000, 01:13 (Ref:13963)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear that the fast corners at the back of Spa-Francorchamps is spectacular. I forget the name, was it Blanchiment? or something like that?
Old 3 Jan 2000, 01:32 (Ref:13964)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
A few years ago I took a trip to Bathurst for the first time and of course drove around the track at break neck speed (not really was to scared to go over 100kph)..everything was great until we arrived at forrest elbow ...now that is one scary corner ..especially as it was drizzling with rain and we were in an LJ Torana with way to much horsepower..how we ever made it around I will never know..alls well that ends well until we got to the chase and looped it...
so my vote goes to FORREST ELBOW !!!!
Old 6 Jan 2000, 02:33 (Ref:13965)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are many good places to spectate at Lakeside, turn 3 is the best at Qld Raceway, the approach to McPhillamy is the best at Bathurst and I like the dog leg at Oran Park, the cars are close, they're goiung quickly as they pass, the fence is very low so no wire in your photos, there's a good view of the start and most of the circuit and it's a tricky corner so you see lots of action. A big Raspberry to Eastern Creek, it sucks for spectating, you can't see jack from most places, on top of the pits or on the exit of turn 2 being the pick of a bad lot.
Old 6 Jan 2000, 09:24 (Ref:13966)   #7
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only problem with the dogleg at Oran Park are the lights for night racing, they get in the shots instead. But about half way between the last turn and the leg is pretty good if your lens is long enough to point it up the hill as they go over the rise.

Bathurst, out of Hell Corner, the end of Pit Straight (if lens is long enough), over the rise at Sulman Park, McPillamy, between McP and Skyline is good for pan shots, the bottom of the esses back up towards Skyline (can be difficult in the afternoon though with the sun), Forrest's Elbow is quite good too, the Chase isn't really very good except for pan shots at a couple of places.

Eastern Creek isn't as bad as people think, if you know where to go. Out of turn 2 is good, the inside of 1 is also good as they come around, about half way down the hill between 3 and 4 is good, when looking back up the track, personally I prefer being on the outside of the track, out of 9 if you can get the right pass and pan shots from the grandstand on the main straight.

I'm not giving away my secret spot for Albert Park, but a couple of good spots...one is a gap in the concrete going just before 3 and you can get shots of flame out the exhaust if any cars are doing it. Another good spot is...hmm, there aren't really many other decent spots. You have to basically wander around and hope to find something half way good.

Surfers...the building where I stay is great to look from, but difficult to get the photos to work as light readings are odd and focus is difficult. Down at the ANA is good depending on where they put the fence to block the spectators. The esses at the back is good if you can squeeze between the other people and pros. The end of the back straight is also great because there is a hole in the fence at just the right spot.

That's about it, I haven't spectated at any other circuits where there was much choice as to where to photograph as Amaroo was very limited as to where to spectate from. I've been to Lakeside, but not for a race, Bowe was testing at the time though.
Old 17 Jan 2000, 19:46 (Ref:13967)   #8
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paddock Hill Bend (Brands)- as discussed above.

Druids Inside (Brands)- where else can you get so close to the action.

McLeans (Donington) - you can see at least two thirds of the circuit from there and the bend itself is usually good for overtaking.

Abbey (Silverstone Int) - always guaranteed trouble as the field pile into the hairpin at the end of the long straight. Usually unobstructed view for photography.

Beach Esses (Surfers Paradise) - don't think I've ever seen a car jump up anywhere else quite like this.

Next please...
Old 18 Jan 2000, 10:04 (Ref:13968)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eau Rouge at Spa - has to be seen in person to appreciate how steep it is.

Tertre Rouge at Le Mans - seeing the cars braking heavily at night, discs glowing - exhausts popping at close range.

Arnage at Le Mans - The fastest T-junction in motorsport.

One corner which always looks great in pictures is the corkscrew at Laguna Seca in California, hopefully I'll be lucky enough to see it in person one day.
Old 18 Jan 2000, 11:42 (Ref:13969)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd have to say the only corner ive ever been to that makes me flinch is castrol curve on top of the mountain at bathurst. There is 6ft catch fencing around the whole corner except for the drive way to the police station. If you stand there the cars come straight at you at around 170km/h, and it scares the sh1t out of you!! This is the wall which C.Lowndes hit in 1997, and White hit this year.
Old 18 Jan 2000, 17:50 (Ref:13970)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jay:
I hear that the fast corners at the back of Spa-Francorchamps is spectacular. I forget the name, was it Blanchiment? or something like that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a driver's viewpoint it is more than spectacular. The problem is the to see it from the trackside you have to stand in amongst trees so you don't get a good view.
Old 18 Jan 2000, 23:19 (Ref:13971)   #12
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My choices would be:
1)Canada Corner at Road America.You have to slow down and turn right after blasting through the woods.If you don't you'll keep going north to Canada.
2)The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.TV does not do it justice.The drop off is just incredible in person.
3)Turn 1 at Portland.a.k.a.The Festival Turns.I'll never forget when Mansel came in way to hot,missed the turn and came down the escape road.There's a stop sign at the end of the escape road where the driver is supposed to stop until the marshall tells him to go.Good old Nigel just gathered up his car and blasted back into the race.
4) The first turn on any oval that CART races on.Truely the most awesome and sometimes frightening 1-2 seconds in all of motorsports.
I've haven't been to a track in Europe yet, but its just a matter of time.I'm sure I'll find some new favorites when I do.
Old 2 Feb 2000, 13:14 (Ref:13972)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about:

Dingle Dell (Brands Hatch)

The Mountain (Cadwell Park)

or.......

Anywhere at the Nurburgring......