Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 30 Aug 2013, 01:17 (Ref:3295968)   #1
stampchez
Rookie

stampchez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Noob Questions

Good Evening All,

My wife and I have decided to attend our first 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2014. New questions keep popping into my mind all the time. I think my biggest concern at this point is camping. We are coming from the US so we won't be able to bring over a lot of camping gear. The private campsites that offer tent rentals seem to be quite overpriced. We are willing to spend some money but we want good value. We will be driving into Le Mans Saturday morning and leaving Sunday evening. I don't anticipate getting much sleep but some would be nice. Are you allowed to sleep in your car in the parking areas or do you need to purchase a camping spot? I would appreciate any other suggestions. I'm sure I will have many more questions. We have been to several F1 races around the world but this seems far more intimidating. Thanks!
Old 30 Aug 2013, 05:30 (Ref:3296008)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well if you are arriving on saturday morning and leaving after the race then your choices are very limited, camping in the sites that provide tents etc would be very expensive for 1 night and any hotels etc close by will be sold out by now,
But all is not lost, yes you can catch a few hours sleep in the car no rules against that, you will need to book a space in the car park (use the ACO website for that)but race tickets can be purchased when you arrive.
As you probably guessed most people tend to arrive several days before the race as Le mans is the biggest motor racing festival in the world, the 24 hours where the cars go round the track is only part of it and by arriving on saturday you will miss most of what makes Le mans so memorable. Also if you are arriving on Saturday by car give yourself plenty of time as the volume of people arriving is massive and due to road closures(obvious reasons) the traffic becomes a nightmare. Anyway good luck and hope to see you next year most of those on this forum meet up at 12.00 on saturday morning to say hello and you and your wife will be very welcome to attend
Old 30 Aug 2013, 06:39 (Ref:3296028)   #3
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to Ten Tenths.

GT6 has already given sound advice.

An alternative is to buy the minimum of camping equipment from a local supermarket and to leave it behind when you leave. The costs are surprisingly low!

However you choose to spend your few days, you won't regret it; you'll find it a life-changing experience. Be sure to keep returning regularly to the forum over the remaining 285 or so days - it's the best way to stay informed.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3296031)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Yes definitely try and get to the area on Friday Morning at the latest - even if you find a hotel and drive in.

As Le Vieux say you could pick up a tent and some sleeping bags etc in the Carrefour or similar for well under $100 so that might be work considering - but you don't want to book a camping slot for only one night so you may have to find somewhere to pitch it.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3296074)   #5
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I really would echo what the others have said about arriving early. I've been 14 times now, and I've still got things left do on my Le Mans bucket list!

Do you plan to get grandstand seats? If you do, you might be able to grab some kip there, my parents managed it back in the day with the rotary engined Mazdas so I'm sure it's possible to get some shut eye in them now.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3296077)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The issue with camping is, although like others have said you can get hold of equipment cheaply, you'll need to pay likely more money for wherever you put it in the ground.

Not sure what else you've got planned or whether the short stay is a necessity, but if you're coming over from the States it does seem a shame to limit yourself.

That said you'd have to go to a lot of Grand Prix to see as much track action as you will at Le Mans in 24 hours. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it and hopefully make plans to return - as we all do.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3296086)   #7
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome to the Forum
Like the others have said, the earlier the better, so if you CAN, come early. Thursday night would be the minimum for me personally as you can catch the late night qualifying and the Friday events (Pit walk, Mad Friday, and much more)
A lot of info has also been placed in this thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136187
Old 30 Aug 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3296226)   #8
stampchez
Rookie

Thanks for all of the tips. I think you have convinced me to try to plan to get in at least on Friday morning. If we can get some equipment for a minimal amount of money that would be great. I suppose we could always donate the camping equipment to a local charity after the race.

I unfortunately don't get a lot of vacation time and would like to see some of the sites around Paris and Normandy in addition to the race.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3296245)   #9
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
Good Evening All,

My wife and I have decided to attend our first 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2014. New questions keep popping into my mind all the time. I think my biggest concern at this point is camping. We are coming from the US so we won't be able to bring over a lot of camping gear. The private campsites that offer tent rentals seem to be quite overpriced. We are willing to spend some money but we want good value. We will be driving into Le Mans Saturday morning and leaving Sunday evening. I don't anticipate getting much sleep but some would be nice. Are you allowed to sleep in your car in the parking areas or do you need to purchase a camping spot? I would appreciate any other suggestions. I'm sure I will have many more questions. We have been to several F1 races around the world but this seems far more intimidating. Thanks!
When we went for the first time in 2007 we just did the race, and booked a hotel in Tours for overnight - which we were able to secure at fairly short notice, but does require an hour or so there and back, and someone in the party to be happy to drive. If you draw a 45 minute to one hour radius around Le Mans you will be able to find a hotel without too much trouble - despite what some doom mongers might try to tell you!

So - roundabout way of saying that for a first experience aiming to do the Saturday and Sunday is perfectly reasonable - it can be a guide to whether you want to do the immersive whole week in the future.

If you're just staying overnight you could probably get away with as cheap a tent as you can find in Carrefour and see about picking up a Beausejour ticket if you want somewhere to pitch it. I do know people who are perfectly happy sleeping in their car overnight, and they never seem to have any problem doing so, but it does rather depend on how much you're keen on creature comforts.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3296573)   #10
stampchez
Rookie

What are the chances of getting the tickets and campsite you want once tickets go on sale? I have joined the ACO and am hoping for stand 17 or 18. I think I would also like to get a Tertre Rouge campsite. When do tickets usually go on sale? Thanks.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 16:38 (Ref:3296580)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I can feel a 'Nadine' link coming on
Old 31 Aug 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3296627)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I can feel a 'Nadine' link coming on
Nadine, honey is that you?
Oh, Nadine. Honey, is that you?
Seems like every time I see you darling you got something else to do...

Like sorting out Simon's bally tickets.......
Old 31 Aug 2013, 20:40 (Ref:3296767)   #13
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What are the chances of getting the tickets and campsite you want once tickets go on sale? I have joined the ACO and am hoping for stand 17 or 18. I think I would also like to get a Tertre Rouge campsite. When do tickets usually go on sale? Thanks.
Tertre Rouge, as you might have gathered from other postings around the forum, is a great choice to go for, but in all likelihood you might need to go through an agent to secure a space (don't worry, this isn't an eye wateringly expensive scalper like process). It's also one of the more expensive campsites for a one night stay. The other thing to consider is the plum sites will have been taken in TR if you're arriving on Saturday morning; the last couple of years the site hasn't been anything like full, but you might end up with a pretty lumpy bit of ground - that said, if the alternative is sleeping in your car it's going to be a step up...
Old 31 Aug 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3296817)   #14
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
To get tickets for stand 17 or 18 you have to be an ACO member.

Usually the tickets are on sale in october for the ACO members and in november for the non members.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3296828)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Nadine, honey is that you?
Oh, Nadine. Honey, is that you?
Seems like every time I see you darling you got something else to do...

Like sorting out Simon's bally tickets.......
Hey that is not fair she has to sort out tickets for quite a few on here not just me
and unlike the agents some other people use she does not charge us extra, but she also keeps out the riif raf and undesirable only selling to nice people like Vince Ian and myself
Old 31 Aug 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3296876)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for all of the tips. I think you have convinced me to try to plan to get in at least on Friday morning. If we can get some equipment for a minimal amount of money that would be great. I suppose we could always donate the camping equipment to a local charity after the race.

I unfortunately don't get a lot of vacation time and would like to see some of the sites around Paris and Normandy in addition to the race.
For an alternative itinerary, how about...

Book flights and car for much earlier in the week and aim to arrive at the circuit on Wednesday.

Stay in touch with 10-tenths to work out who you would want to be your neighbours over the weekend. Buy ACO camping pass accordingly.

Pitch camp with the bargain-base tent purchased from the local Carrefour or Super-U

For nominal beer privileges, your new neighbours could keep half-an-eye on your vacant tent while you spend Thursday and Friday touring Normandy and the Loire if you so wish.

Arrive at circuit on Friday night to chorus of "where were you" and "you should have seen...".

Enjoy motor race.

Finally, if you don't have to hurry back to the airport after the weekend, a couple of days' unwinding is highly recommended. I once made the mistake of finishing a touring holiday of the Orleans region by rocking up to the race weekend, and really regretted the lack of reflection and meandering time after the race.

If you stay at the circuit, Beausejour is a very good call, but don't dismiss the more laid-back life out at Arnage, well away from the main grandstands, but still an earth bank away from trackside. If you have to resort to a hotel and drive, Alencon (40 minutes north on the autoroute) is probably the most tolerable drive in and out of the circuit on race days.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 00:20 (Ref:3296908)   #17
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
nice people like Vince
If I didn't know better, I would assume Simon had a hidden agenda
But I know better, and I only can praise Nadine's efforts. As far as I'm concerned, her credentials are 100%.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 07:00 (Ref:3296983)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
No hidden agenda from me, happy to share my knowledge and experience with all and if in the period of cost cutting in France Nadine keeps her job then everyone is happy,
Old 1 Sep 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3296987)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good on yer Nadine!
Old 4 Sep 2013, 08:59 (Ref:3298713)   #20
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How long are you planning on being in France for in total?

I'm assuming coming from the US you'd be flying in to CDG in any case, so there's Paris ticked off of the to-do list after you come in/before you depart. Hire a car, and do Normandy en-route - it's a bit off of the beaten track, but don't rush it, stop for a nice lunch and perhaps an overnight out there and you'll have a great time.

Then maybe look to stay outside of the circuit (shock horror!). I can recommend a site where you can hire 'bengal tents' - pre-erected hard-sided, canvas roof tents with a double bed (and a bunk bed), gas cooker, fridge, electricity for about E30 a night. Whilst you have to drive in and out (about 20 minutes each way) you'll get to see a touch more of France - lots of local eateries in villages etc.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3300233)   #21
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
I dont know, CTD, should we set up some extra tents on our site at Maison Blanch and invite some of the oversea racefans to our site? Beeing a group of 20 -30 crazy Danes should not scare anybody away.

Would that have any interst to you, stampchez? If so I will try to work out a good price.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3300234)   #22
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We had the spare room this year, so if we have it again next year, why not?
Old 7 Sep 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3300238)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There you go stampchez - an offer you surely can't refuse!

Nice people too - I can vouch for them.......
Old 10 Sep 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3301465)   #24
stampchez
Rookie

lol that may be fun!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3302567)   #25
willxr50
Rookie

Australia
Parramatta
willxr50 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty appropriate thread for myself. Its been my dream to goto lemans since i was 10. Now 28 i finally have the means to make this happen next year. Im travelling over from australia and plan to attend both lemans and the nurburging races. Flying to london first to see some family but then arrive in lemans on wednesday. Im happy to camp with anyone if they have spare room. I have hosted international guests at my campsite for the bathurst 1000 for the last 5 years. So just a few questions. Do i need to hire a car to drive to lemans. Or is there a train/bus from paris. If i do bring camping gear over from australia which would be an easy place to camp and where do i buy the tickets and also do they sell a complete ticket package for both campground and entry into the race.

Cheers William.