Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Jul 2021, 15:58 (Ref:4063270)   #8751
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Good question!
And yet, fans and "experts" alike keep repeating the "LMDh = less costly route" mantra on and on. They just repeat it without giving it much thought because someone with vested interests said so.
Case in point:
Economies of scale though? The expensive bit is designing and making the monocoque. The idea is that these LMDhs will be The hybrid does add cost, but so would homologating a new LMH chassis yourself.

You raise a good point though. SCG seem to be doing an affordably decent job so far with their LMH.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4063272)   #8752
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It is something to think about, but we’ll see how many more build their own chassis. The main focus will still be on Le Mans, so hopefully there will still be enough in the top class.

I just hope this new formula works, but there will be tough times ahead
Old 26 Jul 2021, 16:44 (Ref:4063282)   #8753
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Economies of scale though? The expensive bit is designing and making the monocoque. The idea is that these LMDhs will be The hybrid does add cost, but so would homologating a new LMH chassis yourself.
Well, again what's to stop, say, Porsche from using the same Multimatic tub and then building their more unique car from there, thus sharing that significant part of investment with LMDh and LMP2. Delta Wing proved that the same tub can produce radically different designs

It seems like one of the principle points is manufacturers being keen to tick that "hybrid" PR box with absolute minimum effort/money invested. Since it buys them brownie points with the PR department, but it's no longer viewed as a prospective "future technology" by any OEM. Many OEMs already perfected hybrid enough and moved on to focus their R&D on full EV, while others skipped that stage entirely. So the "hybrid" stickers still serve to sell today's product, but the tech behind them can't be of much relevance to tomorrow's product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
You raise a good point though. SCG seem to be doing an affordably decent job so far with their LMH.
It's a shame though that SCG may be competing for clients with one arm tied behind their backs having a range of perception problems: from relatively unproven record, which only results can amend, to actual doubts over their ability to lobby fair BoP against the goliaths of industry, not to mention lobbying the right to even enter competition in IMSA.
And who knows whether a big OEM will ever produce an LMH with a customer-friendly formula, let alone a non-hybrid one.
Old 26 Jul 2021, 17:52 (Ref:4063290)   #8754
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting article IMO

https://www.porscheroadandrace.com/c...-do-the-trick/
Old 27 Jul 2021, 12:16 (Ref:4063405)   #8755
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Not the case - maximum 3-4 customer chassis available in year one from Multimatic afaik
I was wondering if that might be the case. So the chassis may have to be split between customers and series and even Audi and Porsche teams.

Also makes me wonder what is the maximum number of cars Multimatic can build in a year. Is the 8 year one chassis the max? Or will they be able to bump that up if necessary to meet demand?
Old 27 Jul 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4063419)   #8756
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I found it a bit weird. 90% of the article is using historical examples to bash all the trends that resulted in the creation of Hypercar (making good, albeit obvious, points). And then 10% asks whether Hypercar will do the trick. I guess the answer is no. Hypercar is everything that the author hates about sportscar racing wrapped in one neat package.
Old 27 Jul 2021, 14:29 (Ref:4063425)   #8757
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
I found it a bit weird. 90% of the article is using historical examples to bash all the trends that resulted in the creation of Hypercar (making good, albeit obvious, points). And then 10% asks whether Hypercar will do the trick. I guess the answer is no. Hypercar is everything that the author hates about sportscar racing wrapped in one neat package.
Well, we old timers think alike.
Motorsport is very different now-a-days and we just have to get used to it.
Old 27 Jul 2021, 14:58 (Ref:4063430)   #8758
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
I wish that could be changed too, but I've come to realize it's the direct result of the change in corporate culture. And since for the past 60 years big motorsport has always relied on big corporate funding, there's no escaping that change. Forget about big adventures and epic challenges. The big players are so risk averse I'm surprised they haven't yet figured out a way to get an insurance for finishing below 1st.

And a lot of fans totally buy into the paradigm choosing "close racing" at the expense of real competition, big names at the expense of allowing in new challengers etc. If Shelby tried to do his thing today he wouldn't be allowed into IMSA series because GM, Acura at al can't imagine losing to some no-name, who doesn't sell 2500 cars/year in America. And then fans on Facebook would bully him for being a dreamer and a big-mouth nobody!

Last edited by Pandamasque; 27 Jul 2021 at 15:08.
Old 27 Jul 2021, 15:04 (Ref:4063431)   #8759
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's not so bad, but it's hard for some who can't find the sponsorship. You can't get anywhere without the backing, just have to do it as best you can. Anyway look forward to this year's Le Mans and hopefully more next year. Hopefully Porsche will be able to do more next year, fingers crossed
Old 28 Jul 2021, 03:00 (Ref:4063504)   #8760
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Well, we old timers think alike.
Motorsport is very different now-a-days and we just have to get used to it.
Auto racing was (and the real thing still is) my passion.
The advertising "show" that much of it has become is not something I care to "get used to".
I'm just finding other things to do with my time.

jimclark
Old 28 Jul 2021, 03:31 (Ref:4063506)   #8761
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Auto racing was (and the real thing still is) my passion.
The advertising "show" that much of it has become is not something I care to "get used to".
I'm just finding other things to do with my time.
I hear you!
Old 28 Jul 2021, 07:49 (Ref:4063529)   #8762
S griffin
Veteran

We just have to keep our fingers crossed we get Porsche and a few others up there in good time
Old 28 Jul 2021, 09:03 (Ref:4063546)   #8763
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
We just have to keep our fingers crossed we get Porsche and a few others up there in good time
Sorry mate, but what does this add to the conversation?
Old 28 Jul 2021, 16:54 (Ref:4063632)   #8764
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
[https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/sta...195166212?s=20

Wonderful video: fourth episode of the #PorscheMoments series. Host
@Timo_Bernhard
meets Norbert Singer and Hans-Joachim Stuck
Old 30 Jul 2021, 06:21 (Ref:4063903)   #8765
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Wonderful podcasts at MotorSport on the "Porsche's Winning Formula" series.
This one is with Norbert Singer and the last question is on the new regulations (LMH and LMDh)

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...inning-formula
Old 30 Jul 2021, 07:20 (Ref:4063919)   #8766
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
The remarkable Romain Dumas:
https://play.acast.com/s/cf181808-25...1-b3023d32d9dd
Old 30 Jul 2021, 16:27 (Ref:4064004)   #8767
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Loved it. Brian Redman was fantastic too.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 05:46 (Ref:4064089)   #8768
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Yes, they are all brilliant.
Kudos to MotorSport magazine; the podcasts are excellent.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 12:03 (Ref:4064128)   #8769
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Apparently Multimatic has an exclusive contract with VAG - I had no idea.
Old 5 Aug 2021, 21:28 (Ref:4065534)   #8770
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Apparently Multimatic has an exclusive contract with VAG - I had no idea.
I have a feeling we're going to see a couple more VW owned brands in lmdh with this same multimatic chassis. Lamborghini the 'newest'.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4070370)   #8771
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Episode 6 - (Last one)
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021...ger-25506.html
Old 15 Sep 2021, 09:20 (Ref:4074032)   #8772
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Thomas Laudenbach takes over as head of Porsche Motorsport
Old 1 Oct 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4076517)   #8773
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
This time it looks like it may just might happen: Porsche and Audi to F1
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-porsche-audi/
Old 1 Oct 2021, 14:04 (Ref:4076526)   #8774
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This time it looks like it may just might happen: Porsche and Audi to F1
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-porsche-audi/

That would be an exciting development if it did happen, however F1 only has room for 10 teams.
Old 1 Oct 2021, 14:14 (Ref:4076529)   #8775
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That would be an exciting development if it did happen, however F1 only has room for 10 teams.
I think perhaps one or two current teams may not be around by 2026 (or bought by VAG)

I have always been against Porsche going to F1 because as a true dyed in the wool "Porschista" I have always felt that Porsche's spiritual home was (and is) in sportscar racing.
However, the prospect of a BoP prototype class is really quite unappealing to me. For the first time in my life I can say that I hope that this happens.

Last edited by Spyderman; 1 Oct 2021 at 14:29.