Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Nov 2001, 20:39 (Ref:180677)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ACO cracks down on BMW GT3R

The ACO has cracked down on the BMW M3 GTR and any other non-production racers in the GT3 class. The BMW raced in the ALMS is not a production vehicle and will be saddled with 20% smaller intake restrictors until BMW makes good on homologation. The ACO requires a certain amount of units made with unibody/chassis and road version of engine produced per month. The current BMW M3 GTR uses a 4.0 liter V8 engine and is not offered in their current 3 series production lineup. How this will affect BMW racing the M3 GTR at LeMans is unknown for now. This should make Porsche happy as their more production oriented 911 GT3 has been seriously out gunned by the faster BMW to date.
Old 30 Nov 2001, 23:26 (Ref:180801)   #2
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This could mean a BMW pull out. Autosport reported in the story about Jorg Mullers DTM interest that he would join the DTM if BMW pulled out of the ALMS, as they were awaiting this news. I hope they stay.
Old 1 Dec 2001, 06:43 (Ref:180848)   #3
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would not be good for the series for BMW to go. But face it, a full factory effort with former Grand Prix drivers, racing with a car that isn't even for sale is going to kill the privateers every time. The GT class ranks are full of part timers and buy a drivers that form the back bone of the series. They have no prayer against the full weight of BMW. Most of these guys just shelled out what, $250,000 for a new GT3 porsche and with a slight of the rule book, BMW turns them into boat anchors overnight. That isn't going to help the series either.

If BMW wants to show us what they have, get in there with the big boys in the LMP division. It's one thing to beat the snot out of the privateers, but Audi and Panoz might be a little tougher.

Of course, if the ACO will just leave the rules alone for a few years, we just might see something equally wild and rule-stretching come out of Stuggart. Then BMW would really have to show us what they are made of. I don't really care how good they look against amateurs.
Old 1 Dec 2001, 08:34 (Ref:180854)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On the one hand, excellent news, Le Mans should be a place for sports cars - not tarted-up saloons. On the other hand, I really would like to see something take it to all those pesky 911's!!

So I guess I'll be satisfied either way!!
Old 1 Dec 2001, 13:45 (Ref:180907)   #5
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if Porsche remembers the Dauer LM?

Anyway, I could see this coming. I would assume this would proabably mean a BMW pull out. They were there in the LMP division for a few years, and won Le Mans and Sebring. They nothing left to prove their. Also, recall that not all the Porsche 911 runners are really that bad off, Alex Job recieves factory assitance...
Old 1 Dec 2001, 16:13 (Ref:180943)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not the world's biggest fan of sportscars (or saloon cars in the Beemer's case!), but that BMW M3 GTR is what made me stop and look at the ALMs. It just looks so powerful, which I guess it probably is!

Didn't BMW need to show a M3 GTR road version at the most 12 months after entrance to the championship. I have seen pictures of this model, so isn't that them got the OK?
Old 1 Dec 2001, 17:00 (Ref:180970)   #7
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by H16

"I wonder if Porsche remembers the Dauer LM?

There is little danger that the ACO would homologate the 962 to race in the current GT class!

But BMW had better pray that Porsche doesn't pull a similar stunt on them. All Porsche has to do is jam their v-10 in the back of a boxter coupe and the GT class would become GTP-3. Then, of course, the entire concept of the class would become a farce, which the BMW has almost made it. The big danger is squeezing out the privateers, but Porsche always sells what they race, so at least the privateers would have something with which to be competitive. It would be pretty funny to see the GT cars blowing off the Corvettes.

"Anyway, I could see this coming. I would assume this would probably mean a BMW pull out. They were there in the LMP division for a few years, and won Le Mans and Sebring. They nothing left to prove"

They proved that they, too, could get killed by Audi. BMW didn't even bother to finish the 2000 season they were so humiliated by the Ingolstodt firm. Don't mess with Piech. Funny how the legacy of the 908/917 comes back to haunt everyone. It is sad he is retiring, but good for him.

Personally, I lost some respect for BMW when they didn't even bother to finish the season. Instead of coming back with a new car and taking it to Audi, BMW chose to create a loophole special and beat up on the privateers. They can brag all they want about winning in GT, but they didn't have alot of fight left in them after Audi spanked them so bad. Like I said, if they want to show us what they have, bring it on and take it to Audi.

"Also, recall that not all the Porsche 911 runners are really that bad off, Alex Job recieves factory assitance..."

Yes, but the rules are so out of whack with the BMW that they still have no chance. Kudos to the ACO for acting to solve the imbalance.
Old 1 Dec 2001, 20:54 (Ref:181039)   #8
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the aco made the right call on this, but i do take issue with bmw somehow being cowards(i agree how bmw made their lmp program lame duck in 200 after it became clear they were way outclassed was sad, but so is leaving factory backed prototype racing to build an suv) by going gt racing with a suspect car, when porsche did nearly the same thing when they first came up with the gt3r in 99. lest we forget when the car was first debuted, Porsche’s two hand-built examples were essentially un-homologated, pre-production prototypes that were untested in competition, and there was no guarantee that any more would be produced in that exact form. so both companies have bended the rules, with ACO apporval, in the past, so the war of words between the two as to who is guilty is moot. what is good is finally the aco will be bringing the gt class back in line with what it is intended to be.
Old 1 Dec 2001, 21:34 (Ref:181051)   #9
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dr. Austin
[B][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by H16

"I wonder if Porsche remembers the Dauer LM?

There is little danger that the ACO would homologate the 962 to race in the current GT class!

But BMW had better pray that Porsche doesn't pull a similar stunt on them. All Porsche has to do is jam their v-10 in the back of a boxter coupe and the GT class would become GTP-3. Then, of course, the entire concept of the class would become a farce, which the BMW has almost made it. The big danger is squeezing out the privateers, but Porsche always sells what they race, so at least the privateers would have something with which to be competitive. It would be pretty funny to see the GT cars blowing off the Corvettes.

Porsche don't always race what they sell. The Dauer 962 and GT1 come to mind. Basically, if Porsche are araid of BMW they shouldn't be racing. I don't care how many priviteers they support, if the cars can't compete, then they should be out.

Remember that the LMRs were virtually unchanged from 1999 to 2000. I am suprised they kept up as well as they did with the R8s considering that. And remember that they have a big commitment to Formula one, a full LMP program would not be wise from a money standpoint.
Old 1 Dec 2001, 22:38 (Ref:181064)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by H16

"Porsche don't always race what they sell. The Dauer 962 and GT1 come to mind."

The Dauer was supposed to be a road car. But we all know that was a farce. There was no world championship in 1994, so Porsche built what they felt would win LeMans that year and they did a great job. Just like BMW has done a great job railroading their new GT car into the series. But Porsche sold '96 and '97 model GT1's and leased the 98 models.

"Basically, if Porsche are araid of BMW they shouldn't be racing."

Porsche was never afraid of anyone. They just want to race to the same rules as BMW, and then they will beat them. BMW is racing a car that you can't even buy, compared to the 911 that anyone with the money can get. The day you can buy the BMW off the showroom floor with a v-8 in it, it becomes a legitimate car. Until them, it is not a real car. It is a factory hot rod. Of course Porsche has twisted the rules before, too, but in the case if the Dauer, it was not asked back by the ACO.

Besides, how do you homologate a car that does not exist? In 1969, Porsche had to produce 25 copies of the 917 that actually ran. A promise to complete the production run was not enough. A warehouse of parts to build 25 cars was not enough. The Fia wanted to see 25 running examples before they would grant homologation. There are stories that they weren't so strict with checking on Ferrari, but another story.

If you can't buy one, it is not a production car.

"don't care how many priviteers they support, if the cars can't compete, then they should be out."

As far as Porsche, the cars are totally competitive, except the ACO allows BMW to run a car that does not exist. The privateers shouldn't be forced to buy their cars and then have to compete against one off factory cars. They can't put any motor they want in their cars, so why should BMW be allowed to? Absurd. Let Porsche jam a 962 engine in the 911 and we will see how lame the BMW really is.

"Remember that the LMRs were virtually unchanged from 1999 to 2000. I am suprised they kept up as well as they did with the R8s considering that."

Yes, they were great cars, but the company lacked enough committment to develop them. They lacked enough committment to even finish the season in 2000.

"And remember that they have a big commitment to Formula one, a full LMP program would not be wise from a money standpoint."

I agree. but it would be nice to see someone compete with Audi. Beating up on the privateers is soooo lame. If BMW is so great, let's see what they can do against Audi.
Old 2 Dec 2001, 17:34 (Ref:181324)   #11
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't BMW release a road-going M3 GTR, then everyone will be happy. And maybe my dad can trade in the 5-series....
Old 2 Dec 2001, 18:13 (Ref:181343)   #12
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Splatz, send me your mailing address and i will send you a CD with 10,000 sportscar images and artwork and posters. This will solve the problem you are having with reference material. It's free, just send me your address.