Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:46 (Ref:897147)   #51
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I hope its a bad day for Michelin..."

Surely he said I hope it's a bad day for Bridgestone?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:47 (Ref:897148)   #52
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Motorsport gain if the TV ratings fell?

I think in the long run there may be a positive side if the TV ratings for F1 fell.

1.The main sponsors are only interested in the exposure TV brings, that falls away so will they. The money will become tighter, the grid will even up. Less money would be spent on complex electronics, to keep the lap times good compared to current, cheaper soloutions would need to be found, big fat slicks. Less money could be spent on aero packages, cheaper soloution, simple wings.

2. The major car companys will see there profiles harmed and pull out, leaving the way open for the Paul Stottard to clean up, and the reemergance of private teams. (maybe some will even arrive at meetings towing there one car behind a ford tranny van)

3. Less major car companys would mean fewer Engines, private companys would then develop engines and sell them to the few teams still around.

4. The trickle down effect from the smaller teams would see them branch out into other forms of racing.

5. Silverstone and the other tracks, butchered in the name of progress could be returned to there proper layouts that have only succeeded in creating dull racing in all other classes.

Let the flaming begin!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:53 (Ref:897154)   #53
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first race, and everyone has had enough. How pathetic is that?

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:00 (Ref:897161)   #54
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
The first race, and everyone has had enough. How pathetic is that?
Because they are true fans, and know what they are instore for.

Complete and total domination by Ferrari. Yet again.

F1 needs to remember there are a multitude of ever improving series, that offer everything F1 does not.

DTM, LMES/ALMS, IRL, ETCC, WRC etc.

And treat the fans with respect.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:04 (Ref:897167)   #55
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It's not pathetic, it's to be expected in the circumstances.

Most people were looking forward to a hotly contested first race after the absence of F1 from our screens over the winter. Pre-season testing and all the pundits told us to expect that. But it didn't happen.

We can hope things will be different in Malaysia, but don't forget Ferrari were a second quicker on Thursday, when it was not cold.

As for McLaren, well, Kimi was right, wasn't he?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:24 (Ref:897183)   #56
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hardly think that after one race you can say, that Ferrari will completely and totally dominate the series. I'm glad the teams don't share your attitude, or else they would be packing it in already.

McLaren is a team that will not sit idly by and let this happen. They will do whatever it takes to get there car straight, and be competitive this season.

Same for Williams. They have a new, and revolutionary car, that will take some time to get the best out of it, but I expect them to be competitive to, and soon.

How about BAR? They have made a huge leap this year, and could find themselves in the top4, and maybe even the top3!

Alonso gave hope for Renault also. They'll be in the hunt.

Sorry JAG, but you didn't tune in, and you think you didn't miss anything, but I think you did, and its your loss, not F1's...

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:55 (Ref:897203)   #57
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm hopeful the season will pick up but you have to admit that was one pretty boring weekend...still, Mallory next weekend so who needs F1
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:15 (Ref:897222)   #58
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Because they are true fans, and know what they are instore for.

Complete and total domination by Ferrari. Yet again.

F1 needs to remember there are a multitude of ever improving series, that offer everything F1 does not.

And treat the fans with respect.
Sorry to be saying this, but... what a load of . The race was great and a masterclass in how to go racing. A lot of teams (McLaren, Toyota, etc.) got it wrong this time. F1 is ever-changing and you cannot possibly say with any air of authority, let alone certainty, that it will be "complete and total domination by Ferrari".

The same goes for all the doomsayers in this thread. Wake up and smell the coffee!!!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:26 (Ref:897229)   #59
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the race to be disappointing, depressing, and dull as dish water.
In my opinion it wasn't a "great race". To condemn the season as a foregone conclusion is, admittedly, a little hasty. But it's the lack of competition which encourages peoples pessimism, mine included.
Let's all hope that close racing returns like last year, even if MS/Ferrari wins again.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:37 (Ref:897237)   #60
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was dull.

I am a Ferrari fan but, impressive as the display was, it is not something I want to see so often. Domination is interesting from time to time but close racing is what really excites me.
Not Ferrari's fault - though the team is at fault for past machinations on which current frustrations are building. But I really hope someone catches them soon.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:39 (Ref:897239)   #61
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
So I assume if Schneider, Audi, Penske, BMW or Loeb wins the next event fans will not watch these series for the rest of the year either?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:48 (Ref:897244)   #62
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i think it is the frustration of most f1 fans Adam. for a quite a few years weve seen only one guy being WDC and only one team winning.... ppl however forget that last year we had a great championship eventhough MS won..
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:51 (Ref:897245)   #63
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
So I assume if Schneider, Audi, Penske, BMW or Loeb wins the next event fans will not watch these series for the rest of the year either?
no tips for the next IRL race adam? i was going to place an accumulator at the bookies...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 18:27 (Ref:897273)   #64
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The underlying problem I think was that there was absolutely no contest for the lead at all. I don't have a problem and I don't think anyone else will either with Ferrari winning if they fight for it..

Having said that I don't have a problem with them winning by this margin. It's not up to them to slow down it's down to Williams, Mac, Renault to get their a*** in gear...quickly!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 18:27 (Ref:897274)   #65
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
no tips for the next IRL race adam? i was going to place an accumulator at the bookies...
Bet the house on Hornish...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:02 (Ref:897304)   #66
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
kdr, I didn't want to be too specific because it is so unpredictable that is why I went for any Penske

The accumulator is not that bad an idea. Although I fear Michael might not be that much of a cert.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:08 (Ref:897306)   #67
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who cares which Penske it is? That fact is those two ALWAYS race each other, they always put on a great show and end up with a brilliant race. That's the key difference.

If Ferreri would let Schummy and Barrichello just go at it I will bet everything I own that the race would have been fantastic and we all would have loved it.

It's not the fact that Ferrari are dominating, it's the fact they they don't race each other and we end up with a borning race, at least at the front. They may disagree, but the fans want to see some action and the fans are the single most important thing in all of motorsport.

That's my two pennies anyways.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:11 (Ref:897307)   #68
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well said there. I caught the last 20 laps or so of the IRL last week will certainly be tuning in for next race!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:14 (Ref:897311)   #69
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great It'll be a good one!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:16 (Ref:897313)   #70
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Who cares which Penske it is? That fact is those two ALWAYS race each other, they always put on a great show and end up with a brilliant race. That's the key difference.

If Ferreri would let Schummy and Barrichello just go at it I will bet everything I own that the race would have been fantastic and we all would have loved it.

It's not the fact that Ferrari are dominating, it's the fact they they don't race each other and we end up with a borning race, at least at the front. They may disagree, but the fans want to see some action and the fans are the single most important thing in all of motorsport.

That's my two pennies anyways.
Right on Down Force!

Let em race in F1, the way they do in the IRL! Team orders, what are those?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:34 (Ref:897329)   #71
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the other series I mentioned, the fans are treated well, and allowed to get up close to the cars and drivers.

If there is domination so be it, these series have other attractions to them for the fans.

If F1 racing is not up to scratch, what can the fans look forward too. Being hearded behind 6 ft fences, hoping to catch a fleeting glimpse of their favourite driver. As for taking a look at the great cars in the paddock forget it. Thats reserved for engineers and supermodels.

Meanwhile they pay £100+ for the priverledge, and are told by the powers that be that they, the hardcore fans, are unimportant, and threatened with having there countries race taken away and relocated in some far flung corner of the world.

Great way to treat the fans at a time when the sport is struggling to keep fan interest.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:44 (Ref:897337)   #72
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I can't disagree with that.

My point was that if the problem with F1 isn't that Ferrari had a good race. Yet it seems that is what has got people being negative about F1.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:49 (Ref:897341)   #73
JAG
Veteran

England
I agree, Ferrari are superb, like Audi and Mercedes in LM, DTM.

They just need to let there drivers race. Having said that does anyone seriously believe Barichello has it in him to beat Schumacher.

The problem with F1 is that even when the field is close, the current car regs make it very difficult to pass etc.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:49 (Ref:897342)   #74
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been on this board for nearly 5 years and been an F1 fan for more than 30. I don't think I've ever seen this level of disappointment expressed by the members.

I admit that I was yawning as midnight approached last night-surprising considering how I could barely contain my excitement all week. I am no fan of TGf and hardly a Tifoso, but I am awed the consistency and the expertise that Maranello continues tomuster every year. Maybe the romps are not entertainment, but they are notable. It is astounding to me that in this, his 15th season, Michael Schumacher has remained such a force in the sport. Compared to Fangio, Michael would have quit in 1997!
Or rather, compared to Schumacher, Fangio would have retired in 1966! Clark would have been racing into 1974. Gilles Villeneuve until 1993!

We are blessed to see such longevity and such domination. it may be tedious at times but I cannot nbelieve we will ever see its like again.

That said, I suspect that had it been warmer, the Michelins would have been more effective. And since its inception, Melbourne has been a "Bridgestone" track.

Williams will catch up and Renault is looking promising and even BAR shows promise. I am worried about Mclaren though.

BTW, I stayed with the race to the end, but went right to bed and had no trouble falling asleep.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:53 (Ref:897347)   #75
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
... Having said that does anyone seriously believe Barichello has it in him to beat Schumacher....
I do. Just give him half a chance and he will. It's a battle we simply must be allowed to see!