Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Feb 2003, 16:36 (Ref:519407)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota Indy 300 thread

It's almost here! Just four days left and the 2003 IRL Indycar Series is go! It looks like it's going to be the best year for Indy Racing, and it all kicks off under the beautiful backdrop of Miami. In my opinon, Penske will be the team to beat. They have two great drivers, and shiny new Toyota engines. After the Test in the West, it looks like Chevreolet have the weakest package, it may be that Hornish will not three-peat this year. He is more than able to do so, but will he be hindered by his engine? I would love to see Dario win though, I was a fan of his in CART and I'm sure can can bring home some good results this year.

Predictions anyone?

Last edited by Down F0rce; 27 Feb 2003 at 16:37.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 17:17 (Ref:519447)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tony Kanaan if Honda does the business, Castro Neves if Toyota are on top
Old 27 Feb 2003, 17:35 (Ref:519463)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon at least 8 of the top 10 on the grid will be from CART, and the only chance a Chevvy has is if unreliability, a big collision or well-timed yellows come into it. The times, they have a-changed in the IRL, the little guys are finished.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 21:27 (Ref:519696)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel a little sorry for Dario actually... He was duped into believing Cart would be dead and that his only option was the IRL, and now he's seriously regretting it. Same with Kannan I'm betting.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Feb 2003, 22:32 (Ref:519775)   #5
AGRfan
Rookie

AGRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mikey is going to win, with kanaan in 2nd,and dario 3rd. it's going to be all AGR!( i,m hoping ). but i do think mikey will win.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 06:01 (Ref:520126)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I feel a little sorry for Dario actually... He was duped into believing Cart would be dead and that his only option was the IRL, and now he's seriously regretting it. Same with Kannan I'm betting.
Now do you know this for sure or are you getting it off somewhere like champweb

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
The times, they have a-changed in the IRL, the little guys are finished
Any of the smaller teams that are gone weren't competitive and were only there because Tony George was propping them up, he pulled thier support and they dropped out because they couldn't cut it, it was inevitable. Some will come back, or new one's join, over the next 12-18 months anyway, as equipment becomes available. Remember all of the cars, engines etc... used last year cannot be used this year.

Should be a good race. The Chev's will be alright, they aren't that far behind and top end speed isn't a deciding factor on this type of track.

Having said that the race will be between Andretti and Castroneves i reckon.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 10:36 (Ref:520275)   #7
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now do you know this for sure or are you getting it off somewhere like champweb

Came straight from Jimmy Vasser at the Cart Town Meeting in Portland on Wednesday night. Kanaan isn't chippa either.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 14:28 (Ref:520459)   #8
AGRfan
Rookie

hey snout, i wouldn't listen to anything jimmy says or cart when it comes to tk ,df, and ma . because it's all hearsay, if they didn't want to be there they wouldn't. now, back to jimmy, isn't he the one that wants to race in nascar. another series that goes left , 95% of the time. at least the irl is a openwheel series. because i would rather drive any ow car than a big tank with a bunch of hillbillies.OPENWHEEL RACING 4 EVER!!!!! later
Old 28 Feb 2003, 15:19 (Ref:520503)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure if I'd welcome Dario back, he had the same information as Paul Tracy, and look what they respectively chose. Dario isn't even a good oval racer, at elast Kanaan had that excuse. Tony Kanaan's a charismatic likable chap and a stylish racer, he'd be welcome back, Dario's only ever looking out for Dario. That's what got him in this mess.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 15:34 (Ref:520515)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know Jimmy and Dario were very good friends in 2000, so I'd be inclined to believe what he says about Dario. Dario was duped, made a bad decision and now he has to live with the consequences. Anyone know how long his contract is?

Last edited by Jay; 28 Feb 2003 at 15:37.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Feb 2003, 18:03 (Ref:520646)   #11
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Chevys are down on horsepower. Sam Hornish will have trouble defending his title this year since Toyota and Hondas have much more power. I hope GM will have to match their engine power of TRD and Honda.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 05:15 (Ref:521130)   #12
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey snout, i wouldn't listen to anything jimmy says or cart when it comes to tk ,df, and ma . because it's all hearsay, if they didn't want to be there they wouldn't. now, back to jimmy, isn't he the one that wants to race in nascar. another series that goes left , 95% of the time. at least the irl is a openwheel series. because i would rather drive any ow car than a big tank with a bunch of hillbillies.OPENWHEEL RACING 4 EVER!!!!!

Well thems the facts on audio at Cart.com, you can sweat on them as you want.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 06:45 (Ref:521160)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
can we just get back to talking about the upcoming race about all???????
Old 1 Mar 2003, 11:34 (Ref:521297)   #14
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ticket giveaways may exceed ticket sales Our sources in Florida tell us Toyota and Marlboro are each giving away 5,000 free race tickets to this weekends IRL opener in Homestead, Florida. As of Friday only 2,300 race day tickets were sold our sources say, meaning that the 10,000 giveaway tickets may exceed the actual tickets sold. Actually, more than 10,000 are being given away, since the track and others give out complimentary tickets as well, as they desperately try to fill the stands with bodies to avoid a PR nightmare.

Havent we posted this before, camcartfan?

Last edited by Down F0rce; 1 Mar 2003 at 16:57.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 15:23 (Ref:521415)   #15
AGRfan
Rookie

hey , who will win the pole? i think it will be kanaan. GO AGR!!!!!!
Old 1 Mar 2003, 17:10 (Ref:521485)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sharp looks good for the pole at the mo. Watch out for anyone using a Toyota though, I think that could be the engine to beat this year.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 13:21 (Ref:522329)   #17
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
less than six hours away people! I am really looking forward to this race. Tony Kannan and Michael Andretti will both be looking to make an impression and give AGR a good start. But what interestrs me more is the row behind them...Sam Hornish and Helio Castroneves. Anyone who saw the Chevy 500 will know what a great show these guys put on (it was one of the greatest battles I have seen, it ranks up there with Villenuve and Anroux or Prost and Senna, IMHO) and neither will be holding back, in fact no one will. This could be the best race ever, and the best part is I could be saying that a lot this season.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 18:38 (Ref:522566)   #18
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new dallara is hideous!! The narrow front beak, and that rear end, it is so back heavy, not as sleek lookking as last year, these thing will not do well on a roadcourse as rumors suggest will be added(oofcourse these are oval racer i know..) The GForce looks much better balanced, too bad we couldn't see a falcon out there
Old 2 Mar 2003, 22:39 (Ref:522835)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I really enjoyed that race. Some great battles between Andretti and Kannan, and the Penkse boys too. Pity about the traffic at the end, I think Gil could have just made it past. Still, well done Scott