Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 27 Feb 2001, 03:24 (Ref:66939)   #1
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As everyone already knows, Kevin Harvick, Richard Childress' Busch Grand National driver was tapped to drive the #29 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet. I think he drove a quite respectable race today, but my question is this: Should he have been designated to replace Dale Earnhardt? Except for the number and color of the car, he is driving Dale Earnhardt's car. Harvick is a talented young driver, certainly a future Winston Cup star, but will the pressure of being Dale's replacement be too much? Would it be too much for any rookie? I'm afraid that people will put far too much pressure on him, expecting him to perform like Dale would. I think possibly a veteran driver, one already use to the stresses of Winston Cup racing might have been a better choice. I don't envy Harvick the task that lies ahead of him. I wish him luck. Your opinions?
Old 27 Feb 2001, 06:27 (Ref:66947)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Harvick will do just fine. I think he will be a definite rookie of the year contender if he gets to race in all of the Winston Cup races.

I don't think anyone expects him to replace Dale Earnhardt, so I don't think there will be that kind of pressure.
Old 28 Feb 2001, 04:09 (Ref:67125)   #3
dei3fan
Rookie

United States
Stockbridge Ga.
dei3fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was probably a question of availability of drivers and Harvick was the logical choice. I agree with joe though, I don't think anyone will expect him to perform like Dale E. just because he drives those cars. Besides Richard knows his stuff and wouldn't put him in that car if he didn't think he could handle it. also don't forget he has a top notch team and equipment and Kevin Hamlin as chief and 'coach'. Probably the best deal for a rookie since Hendrick signed up a young kid named Jeff Gordon.The more I think about it the more I like the idea of putting a rookie in that car.almost any veteran would be percieved as trying to fill dales shoes( talk about pressure! )whereas a rookie will be viewed as a 'new beginning'.
Old 28 Feb 2001, 23:38 (Ref:67285)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
harvick will do just fine, no pressure on him whats so ever, just the pressure he puts on himself - could win a race this year possibly, kenseth did in 2000