Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Feb 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1834617)   #1
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Totally agree Sarah,moderns are not as "interesting" to drive,especialy if thier slick shod. Most of our cars will still be here when that lot have gone to rust
Don't forget tho, the moderns of today are the Classics of the future....

(Never one to miss an opportunity - now maybe we should start a 1990s Series in a couple of year's time in the CSCC... perhaps I should be buying up Focus STs...)
Old 7 Feb 2007, 05:27 (Ref:1835112)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueWench
Don't forget tho, the moderns of today are the Classics of the future....

(Never one to miss an opportunity - now maybe we should start a 1990s Series in a couple of year's time in the CSCC... perhaps I should be buying up Focus STs...)
Are you thinking of a new racing concept,like one make!
Old 7 Feb 2007, 07:44 (Ref:1835146)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Maybe the start of a new thead,but what of the "Future Classics".One of the attractions of our current classics is the simplicity of them,no [LEGAL] Electronic Ignition,no ECU,s etc,I dread to think of the problems that any modern future classic will bring purely on the electrical side alone.Ford Focus in forty years time?
Old 7 Feb 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1835176)   #4
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Maybe the start of a new thead,but what of the "Future Classics".One of the attractions of our current classics is the simplicity of them,no [LEGAL] Electronic Ignition,no ECU,s etc,I dread to think of the problems that any modern future classic will bring purely on the electrical side alone.Ford Focus in forty years time?
If in 40 years we look af a Focus ST as we look at the 40 year old cars of now like Healeys, Coritnas MGBs Alfa Bertone, Where is the world going to .
Old 7 Feb 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1835184)   #5
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
If in 40 years we look af a Focus ST as we look at the 40 year old cars of now like Healeys, Coritnas MGBs Alfa Bertone, Where is the world going to .
Don't forget, when those cars were 15-20 years old they were scrapped, unused, worn out and unloved. Just think of the Capri for goodness' sake. So then you get to a stage where they are RARE! That's when they become much-loved, by the little boys (and girls) who were 10 years old when their heroes were driving them (from the Sweeney to The Professionals and Starsky & Hutch). They come and watch our Swinging 60s cars because they loved them then. Have you not spotted that crowds (!) at HGPCA events are in their 60s, at TGP are in their 50s, at CSCC are in their 40s, and our Tin Tops have teenagers drooling over Honda Integra Type Rs. It was ever thus. Not that the "crowds" matter, since the circuits don't promote Club events (see another thread)
Old 7 Feb 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1835258)   #6
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This may be a new thread but does anyone seriously beleive that internal combustion engined cars will be racing in 40 years time?
Old 8 Feb 2007, 06:02 (Ref:1835983)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
This may be a new thread but does anyone seriously beleive that internal combustion engined cars will be racing in 40 years time?
It may be a little selfish but will we care?
Old 8 Feb 2007, 06:10 (Ref:1835984)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

Somehow I cant see many "modern cars being around in 40 yrs ,no dought there will be someone who finds some moderns attractive enough to give them Barn space,but I really don,t see there being the kind of followers there are in todays classics. I think the Yoot o thisss day won,t be interested enough
Old 8 Feb 2007, 11:28 (Ref:1836197)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All the recent GT cars for starters - Vipers, CR5 & 6, DBR & DBRS9s, 550/575s, MC12s, S7Rs etc etc. They look and sound spectacular and probably won't need a computer genious to make them run.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 13:13 (Ref:1836266)   #10
Tuscan 6
Racer

England
Tuscan 6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SRO has announced the GT90s Revival series for 1990's GT1 and GT2 cars, plus a GT3 category for cars from one make series from the 1990's (Porsche Cup, Ferrari Challenge etc etc). Naturally I am biased, but I have thought for some time that the TVR Tuscan Challenge cars are future classics, and the emrgence of this series, for which they are eligible and potentially very competitive (within GT3) would seem to confirm this.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1836654)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan 6
SRO has announced the GT90s Revival series for 1990's GT1 and GT2 cars, plus a GT3 category for cars from one make series from the 1990's (Porsche Cup, Ferrari Challenge etc etc). Naturally I am biased, but I have thought for some time that the TVR Tuscan Challenge cars are future classics, and the emrgence of this series, for which they are eligible and potentially very competitive (within GT3) would seem to confirm this.
Someone had better start making a chassis jig then
Old 8 Feb 2007, 21:21 (Ref:1836728)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I'm looking through things like racecarsdirect.com and the back pages of Autosport, I can't help but think that mid-1990s Porsche GT2s and 2000s GT3 RS will be going for an arm and a leg in 20-30 years time. If you look at old Autosports you'll Chevron B16's and Lola T332s being broken for bits as they were worth more than the things as joblots. GBP45K will get you a GT2, easily good for 200mph with stonking track performance.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 21:32 (Ref:1836741)   #13
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Zip, Formula First, Multisports, Eurosaloons
Old 9 Feb 2007, 07:22 (Ref:1836988)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I agree on the Porsche thing ,but when I suggested a new thread ,I was thinking more on the line of run of the mill saloons/sportscars.Most of todays Porsches etc are possibles as are the Lambos/Ferraris ,but I was just wondering of other peoples thoughts on the lower end of todays cars,Mazda mx5 sort of thing
Old 9 Feb 2007, 07:43 (Ref:1836997)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
All the recent GT cars for starters - Vipers, CR5 & 6, DBR & DBRS9s, 550/575s, MC12s, S7Rs etc etc. They look and sound spectacular and probably won't need a computer genious to make them run.
Ooh a Viper GTR/S. I'll have to keep this job for a bit longer then.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1837027)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
City Rover, Honda Jizz, Kia picanta. . . .am I on the right track ?

inmy opinion there isn't anything potentially classic about 90% of modern cars, there must be more 50's and 60's cars on the road now than 70's and 80's ones, and I think that trend will continue
Old 9 Feb 2007, 09:06 (Ref:1837080)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Chevy Camaro IROC 1987!!!

OK beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I luv em and they have plenty of potential, are simple to modify and work on (if you dump the computer and run on a simple 4 barrel Holley), sound awesome, are a crowd pleaser and get gobs of power out of them and parts are so, so reasonable as they use the wonderful Chevy Small Block V8 that can be built for less than the price of a top CVH engine, oh and conversion to renewable fuels would be very simple!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 9 Feb 2007 at 09:16.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 09:25 (Ref:1837091)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Y'know Al, when reading your posts folks could be forgiven for thinking you have anunhealthy obsession.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 09:37 (Ref:1837111)   #19
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Y'know Al, when reading your posts folks could be forgiven for thinking you have anunhealthy obsession.
He like Camaros as well
Old 9 Feb 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1837130)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alan, you're getting 'racy' in your advancing years!

Al, I don't think it is beautiful exactly, but it looks great. I'd have thought it was already close to classic status and it's certainly not 'modern' even to this aging enthusiast (I have PM'd you re image size!).

I guess my list was of obvious choices and I have a penchant for closed GT cars both ancient and modern, if you hadn't noticed already. One of the delights of last season was to see the BMW Z4M coupe win on its debut at Silverstone in the Britcar 24 hour race, and that is also destined to become a classic. It has since won another 24 hour race and come 2nd in another so almost iconic to me already.

Last edited by John Turner; 9 Feb 2007 at 10:01.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1837131)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yer right Peter, there is this other guy I know similiar name to you in fact and he is exactly the same about Capris!

Resized JT!
Old 9 Feb 2007, 09:58 (Ref:1837138)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks Al, and yes you have a point about Mr Mallett; I think he feels the same way about MGBs, too!
Old 9 Feb 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1837139)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol,

Poor soul, I'm sure he'll get over it.

Zef,

I think John made a good point earlier whereby referencing the higher end of the scale would suggest that those are the future Classic Racing cars. The other thing might be that if a famous driver is connected with a car, that model will also become a classic. Right now I can't think of an example but hopefully you get my drift.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1837155)   #24
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
The other thing might be that if a famous driver is connected with a car, that model will also become a classic. Right now I can't think of an example but hopefully you get my drift.
I agree with that. For instance the Lotus Cortinas with Jim Clark etc. I can't see many current BTCC cars becoming similar icons. The last one I can think of is the Cossie Sierra.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 10:25 (Ref:1837173)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well there are about potentially 20 or 30 famous drivers associated with one of my 70's cars, do you think that will make it worth lots when I eventually finish it? And yes Pete its one of them boring old V8 Camaro things. :-)