Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 22 Apr 2007, 21:28 (Ref:1898011)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dobro International Raceway

Built in the US in an attempt to win a future F1 contract away from Indianapolis, Dobro IR is a multi layout venue consisting of a Club, Long Perimeter, a shortened perimeter and the GP Layout. It is also possible to use a “shortened GP” layout.

The S/F straight is on a gentle incline, which continues through the Right handed T1. The circuit crests out onto a plateau in the slight breaking zone of T2 making it semi-blind. The circuit remains on the plateau through the esses of T2, T3 and and slightly sharper T4 corner.
The Circuit then drops down off the plateau making a downhill approach to T5 the entry into the GP infield.
The perimeter circuit continues down through a kink before levelling as the GP Circuit rejoins.
T5 is an open hairpin that should see some overtaking, the exit levels out as it flows quickly into T6 & T7, slight “S” bends which due to low kerbs most formula straight line.
Turn 8 is a left handed corner that sets up for T9, a sweeping left hander that cars accelerate through. Good drive through the corner allows overtaking chances at T10.
The Club circuit breaks off to the right half way down the straight between T9 & T10, with a sweeping right hander, that leads to a 90 degree overtaking spot. The club circuit rejoins the main circuit through a slight “S” bend ... the 2nd part is the final corner onto the S/F straight.
The Track levels off at its lowest point, at the breaking zone for the T10 hairpin.
From the exit of the hairpin the Circuit slowly begins to climb through the kink that is T11 and onwards along the straight levelling out through the sweeping T12.
The circuit then straightens and levels out as it leads into the fastest corner on the circuit… flat out for many categories… The sweeping Turn 13.
Categories using the shortened layout are required to brake almost as soon as they have straightened out of T13 for the downhill double right handed cut out section.
From T13 it’s a long flat out run down to T14 an open hairpin that is slightly banked allowing the brave to stay on the out/high side possibly gaining an advantage back down the Return straight.
The Return straight drops downhill gently as it approaches the merge from the cut out, making the penultimate Turn 15 a downhill approach.
Turns 15 and 16 are a double Left handed combination, separated by a short straight. Had the approach not been so long it might have been considered a double apex corner, but with overtaking possible it’s likely a driver would have to defend rather than take the "double apex" line.
The circuit levels out on the short straight and begins to gently climb on the exit of the final corner onto the S/F straight.

Club: 2.1 Miles (3.36km)
Perimeter: 2.9 Miles (4.64)
GP: 3.75 Miles (6km)

Comments, Critiques and edits welcome as always.
Attached Thumbnails
Dobro IR.jpg  
Old 23 Apr 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1898593)   #2
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The three 90 degree corners surrounding the main straight make the track quite American-looking indeed.
I like the fast-curved backstretch that the GP circuit shares with the perimeter circuit.

But even though it's called Dobro, the blot shape of the track looks nothing like the musical instrument of the same name.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1898629)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
But even though it's called Dobro, the blot shape of the track looks nothing like the musical instrument of the same name.
I wasn't aware that it was a guitar
I took the name as I have done for many of my designs from a Kevin J Anderson series of SciFi novels which uses Dobro as the name of a planet.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 23 Apr 2007 at 14:46.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 14:46 (Ref:1899371)   #4
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guitar shape that would possibly be the best shape for a racetrack is that of the Weissenborn guitar. Feel free to google for it :-)
Old 25 Apr 2007, 07:59 (Ref:1899888)   #5
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love the fast outer sections, esepecially that fast right hander in the bottom left, that would be a challenge.