Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Nov 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2575974)   #51
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
My own opinion is evidence enough.

Sportscar racing isn't splashed across the mainstream press, the sport relies on enthusiasts to spread the word, if a program ticks the right boxes it will reach a wider audience through Youtube, videogames etc.

There's too many forms of entertainment out there to settle for second best.

Nissan are trying to pass off a second rate, cut and shut, 'GTR' that bears no resemblance to the real deal, while bypassing the GT competition in GT2.

Nissan have a simple choice, take on the GT2 manufacturers, or spend the big bucks in P1/GT500 (if they wished to bring that over here).

Don't insult a tech savy Gran Turismo/Forza audience, and potential future customers, with second rate machines that suit the marketing execs rather than the engineers and enthusiasts.

FIA GT1, Grand Am, IRL, A1GP etc., there's a reason why no one gives a ****, the potential audience are more clued up than those shovelling this crap.

Not that I'm a big fan personally, but the reason Drifting and tuning is gaining an audience at the expense of traditional motorsport is because of the technical freedom and 'cars the star' philosophy, in other words what motorsport used to be about.
So I take it your objection is the differences in engines then? If Nissan did a Homologation special with a 5.5 V8 for the road, would all be good then? (As others such as Porsche do)
Old 4 Nov 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2575979)   #52
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
My own opinion is evidence enough.
Everyone's entitled to have an opinion, but here's a fact.

The organizers of the Nürburgring 1000k race lost money every single year they had an LMS race at the track - for next year they opted for FIA GT1 instead of LMS and hope to break even with that.

FIA GT at Oschersleben drew considerably larger crowds than LMS ever did at the 'Ring.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2575981)   #53
AFC-911
Racer

AFC-911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
So I take it your objection is the differences in engines then? If Nissan did a Homologation special with a 5.5 V8 for the road, would all be good then? (As others such as Porsche do)
I can't speak for JAG, but I'd be ok with it if they sold a couple hundred examples with the V8.

Keep in mind that I would rather see them compete with the big boys.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 02:17 (Ref:2576077)   #54
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that 300 is the minimum needed for the new FIA GT rules.

The engine would not really be the hard part, it's production based Nissan truck V8.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 02:18 (Ref:2576078)   #55
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
According to AUTOSPORT(of Japan), Toyota keeps holding their F1 factory.
Then, the employee of Köln needs their job!
Joe Saward says:

The company is understood to have studied a variety of options to keep the team alive, notably selling it to the management or to a third party, but the conclusion reached was that it would be cheaper to simply close it down, given the redundancies that would have been required as a result of the plans that were agreed by the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) to bring down F1 staffing levels.

The news will be a major blow for the staff in Cologne, many of them who relocated to Germany to work for the team. There is no other F1 activity in the region as Mercedes-Benz currently does almost all of its F1 work in Britain. The nearest F1 team is Sauber in Switzerland.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/...firms-pullout/
Old 5 Nov 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2576127)   #56
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
'particularly with the whole 'green technology' thing that F1 has ignored for so many years.'

Just about the only good thing they(F1) did in recent years,not jumping on the silly 'green fuels' band wagon...
Old 5 Nov 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2576161)   #57
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
'particularly with the whole 'green technology' thing that F1 has ignored for so many years.'

Just about the only good thing they(F1) did in recent years,not jumping on the silly 'green fuels' band wagon...
I think getting a greener image is a good thing, it has to be now, although I'm not keen on the silent cars it is producing!
Old 5 Nov 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2576171)   #58
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
There is a comment article on DSC which speculates that F1's loss could be Le Mans gain. I cant read the detail as my subscription has lapsed, however DSC never usually write stuff without there being some substance behind it.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 08:40 (Ref:2576176)   #59
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post

No, its the reason we're now losing manufacturers from F1. Unless racing adapts to the way things are it will become extinct.

Whether you think global warming is anthropogenic or not is totally irrelevent as the media and politicians think it is anthropogenic. As such racing had to adapt to this.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 5 Nov 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2576206)   #60
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is there for toyota to aim for at LM?

First japanesse car marker to win LM? already done
First japanesse driver to win LM? already done
First diesel car to win LM? already done
First hybrid to win? now that would appeal.

Like it or not the direction motorsport will take over the coming years is going to need to refect the changing market. Hybrids/fuel cell cars are going to be a large part of the market now that they attract tax savings and the supply costs are falling.

Being the first Hybrid to win LM will be a target worth aiming for and Motorsport has long been used to bring forward new ideas.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2576224)   #61
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
anthropogenic.

Now there's a good word

What does it mean please?
Old 5 Nov 2009, 10:56 (Ref:2576265)   #62
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
anthropogenic.

Now there's a good word

What does it mean please?
man made
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 5 Nov 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2576275)   #63
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you
Old 5 Nov 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2576313)   #64
scoff
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
scoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post

Nordic, about the first ones. Wasn't that the same when they re-entered in '98? I agree, I expect them to do something hybrid.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2576430)   #65
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoff View Post
Nordic, about the first ones. Wasn't that the same when they re-entered in '98? I agree, I expect them to do something hybrid.
Good point, I can only assume toyota hoped to be the first car begining with T and ending in o painted red powered by a Turbo v8 in 1998!

It really was a lovely car the GTone, if toyota do come back I can only hope some of the spirt of the that and the earlier TS010 is captured.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2576469)   #66
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I'm unsure what evidence you have to make such statements?
So far the Nissan GT1 didn't do much to me so I agree with JAG.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2576475)   #67
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
So far the Nissan GT1 didn't do much to me so I agree with JAG.
The Nissan GT-R GT1 was built to a different set of rules than all of it's competitors except the Ford GT, which the GT-R was faster by the end of the year. You cannot compare it to the C6.R, MC12 and DBR9, which were racing to a different set of rules. They took a development mule, and raced it in public, a year in advance of the actual class introduction. That development mule is also not the final product that will be raced this year.

If someone introduced a 2011 rules LMP-1, and raced it at LM this year, would we consider it to be a car with no future, because it wouldn't be able to compete with current rules LMP's?
Old 5 Nov 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2576604)   #68
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post

Like it or not the direction motorsport will take over the coming years is going to need to refect the changing market. Hybrids/fuel cell cars are going to be a large part of the market now that they attract tax savings and the supply costs are falling.

Being the first Hybrid to win LM will be a target worth aiming for and Motorsport has long been used to bring forward new ideas.
Thats like saying why did Audi enter when German drivers and cars had won before.

The Japanese have not won Le Mans, and you could even go so far as to say ORECA won it for them, with no Japanese drivers in the car.

If a Japanese car won with Japanese drivers in it, then I don't think the Japanese public could give a flying fish as to how they did it, hybrid or no hybrid.

If Toyota were to enter LM the best way to promote the brand would be to shove some Japanese drivers in a works Toyota on the top step of the podium at Le Sarthe. They can not fail again. Money spent on developing a competitive hybrid system is money wasted which could have been spent on developing the outright performance of a bog-standard LMP petrol.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2576694)   #69
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
The Japanese have not won Le Mans, and you could even go so far as to say ORECA won it for them, with no Japanese drivers in the car.
Sorry but hasn't Mazda won at La Sarthe? So therefore... the Japanese have won.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2576699)   #70
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
when it comes down to it, one of the arguments for Toyota making a new sportscar is the potential it has for long-term future marketing. Nearly a decade of F1 and no-one will remember any of the cars from that period. Yet how many people have made a connection with the GTOne from games such as Gran Turismo, Forza and the other ones. When I tell people I'm going to Le Mans each year, someone will invariably ask me if there'll be cars like the Toyota or Bentley and this is usually where they've discovered it. This year's Aston has the same potential if they're able to follow the same 'cult' placement route.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 05:21 (Ref:2576808)   #71
CPMW
Rookie

CPMW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92scotland View Post
Sorry but hasn't Mazda won at La Sarthe? So therefore... the Japanese have won.
Yeah.. the car is as important than the drivers. I think the rotary engine screams Japanese and Mazda. And it was a committed factory effort.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2576845)   #72
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
There are now reports that that from the current 700 staff at Cologne about 150 will be saved.

Last edited by deggis; 6 Nov 2009 at 07:53.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2576850)   #73
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
700 staff, it was over 1,100 a year ago.

Where did you here this, got a link?
Old 6 Nov 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2576902)   #74
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
If Toyota were to enter LM the best way to promote the brand would be to shove some Japanese drivers in a works Toyota on the top step of the podium at Le Sarthe. They can not fail again. Money spent on developing a competitive hybrid system is money wasted which could have been spent on developing the outright performance of a bog-standard LMP petrol.
A very outdated comment. Petrol is here for a while yet but the future at the top step of the Le Mans podium is reserved for other technologies. To spend money making a petrol car go quicker is only ever going to be a short term solution, and if Toyota want to make a positive impact after F1 then they'd need to show commitment to the future of automotive technology, and they'd need to prove that they can make it work. That future is very unlikely to involve petrol.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2576929)   #75
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola T70 View Post
700 staff, it was over 1,100 a year ago.

Where did you here this, got a link?
1100? Does that count the actual racing team? Many people might have been already laid off. Yashida Tamashima (or something like that, likely mispelled name!) said some months ago how the board kept slashing the budget for 2009 again and again.

But the link: http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mod...opic=8&catid=0

A Toyota staff member has told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport magazine that, following the announcement of the carmaker's withdrawal from formula one, he heard rumours that only 150 employees will remain at Cologne for the next racing project.

About 700 staff currently work on the team's F1 engine and chassis programmes in Junkersdorf, in the west of Cologne.

One option for the withdrawing owners of F1 teams is to sell the operation as a going concern, but team president John Howett said on Wednesday that he believes Toyota Motorsport GmbH will instead be scaled down in order to participate in "grassroots motor sport". Le Mans has been mentioned as a likely alternative.

Toyota Motorsport GmbH = absorbed TTE

Last edited by deggis; 6 Nov 2009 at 11:06.