Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2020, 14:40 (Ref:3964930)   #326
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Where would Formula E be without the ex Red Bull / Torro Rosso drivers...
Old 17 Mar 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3964938)   #327
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
But without Red Bull backing their careers may well have stalled (or ended) a lot sooner. Some of these drivers wouldn't have had the budget to get out of the national formulas without Red Bull backing. Yes they're ruthless but for a lot of drivers it's a case of take a chance with Red Bull or look for another career.
It's true, a lot of drivers wouldn't have even have got a chance without the Red Bull scheme. At the same time it can make or break a career, because once you have a chance the pressure is on to perform. Not saying it's good or bad, just one that should not be entered into lightly. You have to really show you have it or it's curtains
Old 17 Mar 2020, 15:39 (Ref:3964951)   #328
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
At the same time it can make or break a career, because once you have a chance the pressure is on to perform. Not saying it's good or bad, just one that should not be entered into lightly. You have to really show you have it or it's curtains
I'm not saying I disagree - but isn't that the case with nearly all other driver schemes?
I'm still not clear why Red Bull are being singled out as ruthless compared to others?
Old 17 Mar 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3964971)   #329
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm still not clear why Red Bull are being singled out as ruthless compared to others?
i would guess because Helmut Marko carries it that way?
Old 17 Mar 2020, 16:44 (Ref:3964974)   #330
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i would guess because Helmut Marko carries it that way?
Possibly - perhaps they are more vocal when releasing drivers than others, but I'm pretty sure none of the driver schemes entertain those not making the grade for very long.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 18:24 (Ref:3965001)   #331
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You never saw Mercedes dropping Bottas midway through 2018 for say Ocon. That’s the difference

Ok in some of Red Bull’s cases, like dropping Kvyat for Max, the results have been justified, but still, it can be really damaging for a driver to be dropped at a stroke
Old 17 Mar 2020, 18:53 (Ref:3965010)   #332
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
You never saw Mercedes dropping Bottas midway through 2018 for say Ocon. That’s the difference

Ok in some of Red Bull’s cases, like dropping Kvyat for Max, the results have been justified, but still, it can be really damaging for a driver to be dropped at a stroke
You could argue that it's less ruthless.

Would you rather get an F1 drive then be demoted, or just get cut from the programme before even starting a race?
Old 17 Mar 2020, 20:18 (Ref:3965044)   #333
S griffin
Veteran

No, sorry that argument doesn’t really stack up
Old 17 Mar 2020, 20:40 (Ref:3965052)   #334
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
No, sorry that argument doesn’t really stack up
So where is the ruthlessness?

In the junior programme, or in the mainstream team?

Kvyat dropped from the team is different to never getting a seat in the first place.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 22:47 (Ref:3965086)   #335
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
So where is the ruthlessness?

In the junior programme, or in the mainstream team?

Kvyat dropped from the team is different to never getting a seat in the first place.
I agree with you CR, I think that the Red Bull program is probably the fairest in racing, in that the best driver available to them in their program gets the seat. They don't hang onto drivers that they feel don't deserve the seat, and there apparently is room for redemption if they think a driver is worth it, like the case of Kvyat. This is how team selection should work imo.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 02:01 (Ref:3965121)   #336
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Junior driver programs are not social security. They require discipline, hard work, and above all, performance. It's like a lab experiment, the drivers are the candidates, under the microscope, being tested, and only the best will survive - and that is the point of the exercise.

RB get bad press, and I have no love for The Helmet, but credit where it is due.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 02:27 (Ref:3965131)   #337
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Iirc, Bottas was initially given a one year contract with Merc. However, he proved to be such an effective wingman for Hamilton, dropping him would have been a mistake.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3965149)   #338
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Iirc, Bottas was initially given a one year contract with Merc. However, he proved to be such an effective wingman for Hamilton, dropping him would have been a mistake.
I must admit, Bottas' continued employment at Merc validates the Red Bull approach completely. The only reason he is still there is because of the absolute dominance of Merc, Ocon should have that seat.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 07:54 (Ref:3965151)   #339
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I must admit, Bottas' continued employment at Merc validates the Red Bull approach completely. The only reason he is still there is because of the absolute dominance of Merc, Ocon should have that seat.
at least Bottas was never lapped by Hamilton where Gasly WAS lapped by Max Verstappen more than once.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 10:56 (Ref:3965197)   #340
S griffin
Veteran

I think the pressure from Red Bull doesn't really help if you want the best out of your driver. That's just how I see it
Old 18 Mar 2020, 11:01 (Ref:3965200)   #341
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I think the pressure from Red Bull doesn't really help if you want the best out of your driver. That's just how I see it
I know what you mean in terms of how it has been portrayed - I just think other programmes are equally as pressured. Possibly even more ruthless if they cut you earlier in your development, before you've got a drive in F1.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3965207)   #342
S griffin
Veteran

I think because those in the junior formula aren’t in the public eye as much as F1 it doesn’t seem to be noticed as much when they are dropped
Old 18 Mar 2020, 14:40 (Ref:3965257)   #343
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
But the reason Bottas IS there is because he has been a good no.2 driver. He has shown plenty of times that he is more than good enough to win regularly, but he also gets the word over the radio regularly which prevents him winning more.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 17:45 (Ref:3965366)   #344
S griffin
Veteran

Problem is Bottas has days when he can beat anyone, but he also has races where he disappears and that’s why he has yet to give his team mate a proper run for the title. Still it was good to see him win a couple towards the end of last season
Old 18 Mar 2020, 18:17 (Ref:3965377)   #345
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Problem is Bottas has days when he can beat anyone, but he also has races where he disappears and that’s why he has yet to give his team mate a proper run for the title.
Who's that a problem for?
Old 18 Mar 2020, 22:01 (Ref:3965417)   #346
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Sorry but is your modus operandi to pick apart every word of every one of S Griffin's posts?

Seriously. every.single.thread.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 22:02 (Ref:3965418)   #347
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
But the reason Bottas IS there is because he has been a good no.2 driver. He has shown plenty of times that he is more than good enough to win regularly, but he also gets the word over the radio regularly which prevents him winning more.

Which is a shame because I've been re-watching the 2016 Season Review and I loved the Rosberg v Hamilton drama and back and forth.
Old 18 Mar 2020, 22:03 (Ref:3965419)   #348
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Sorry but is your modus operandi to pick apart every word of every one of S Griffin's posts?

Seriously. every.single.thread.
Not trying to pick apart, just trying to understand what the point(s) being made actually are so that conversation can be engaged with.
Old 19 Mar 2020, 18:51 (Ref:3965601)   #349
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
as long as he at least is right behind to Hamilton that is no problem at all for Mercedes
Old 19 Mar 2020, 23:51 (Ref:3965671)   #350
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a few random thoughts.

The last time the Automotive industry took a similar hammering to this the manufacturers bailed out from F1. If this happens again the knock on will cause huge changes to everyone's plans for 2021. I think everything written about the driver changes for 2021 up to this point will be largely negated and that alone will be interesting in itself.

If any manufacturers pull out then those drivers will not have a job at all. A lot of ifs but consider this goes on for over 6 months even Ferrari would have to assess where they are at. Italy is in a worse position than China and there does not seem to be any signs of the virus spread slowing in Europe at all. If Mercedes withdraws along with Renault due to the financial health of the parent companies 2/3 of the engine supply just disappeared plus four cars off the grid and four drivers headed for the unemployment office.

I doubt that the F1 we now know will exist after this but I hope I am wrong, come to think about it this might force a re-think of the whole thing which won't be a bad thing. I don't think we have begun to see the knock on effects of this crisis and a lot of what changes will occur cannot be foreseen by anyone.

Doom and gloom or reality?