Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Mar 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2153569)   #1
Karting_jenny
Rookie

United Kingdom
Letchworth, Hertfordshire
Karting_jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV Graphics/Adverts

Firstly not sure if this has been mentioned before...but here we go.

Secondly the tv graphics this season are very Indy/Champ car esk...but its certainly different and a great improvement from last season. As for the adverts for the panasonic tv, interesting i must say....are they gonna alternate between different bands or just gonna stick with whoever it is (I know the band but forgot who it is.)

Also i was one of perhaps thousands that got up at 4ish to see the gp. Great race.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2153573)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I quite like the new graphics, pretty snazzy. Still a bit tricky to read at times, but certainly better than previously.

It's about time they put some actual effort into the presentation.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2153612)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like them, it is certainly an improvement.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 13:34 (Ref:2153633)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh ITV have done alot to improve imo. The whole website, aswell.

It was refreshing to see a decent sponsor (Sony, I believe it was), even if Maiden (I could be corrected) was a little annoying after the 10th or so time. But still, i'd rather hear Maiden than some idiotic chickens... How did they ever manage to become a big sponsor?!?!

Selby
Old 16 Mar 2008, 13:34 (Ref:2153634)   #5
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The graphics are definitely a step forward from FOM, although at one stage I missed the wording to tell us that the graphic was currently scrolling fastest laps - I couldn't understand why Massa was shown as being P3! I put it down to lack of sleep

You're right Jenny, it's very like champ car... perhaps they could/should constantly scroll the positions throughout the race? It's not like it takes up any significant screen space, and it's subtle enough not to be a distraction.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2153641)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It needs to be a bit slower hah

Selby
Old 16 Mar 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2153674)   #7
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sony advert was getting very annoying by the end.

The ticker needs to move to the top of the screen and cycle thru faster, basically what speed channel have but in the style of F1 graphics.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 16 Mar 2008, 15:36 (Ref:2153780)   #8
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby
even if Maiden (I could be corrected) was a little annoying after the 10th or so time.
Disagree, love the song!

The scrolling graphics were good for sure, not so keen on the opacity of them - no transparency would be better IMO, still - better.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2154058)   #9
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another graphic that I hadn't seen before was the pinpoint location of a car, shown on a map of the circuit. Useful when watching a pit stop to give you an idea of what position the driver will emerge in after his stop. I presume it's possible thanks to some sort of GPS transmitter rather than the car's transponder.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2154060)   #10
Karting_jenny
Rookie

United Kingdom
Letchworth, Hertfordshire
Karting_jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iron Maiden...i knew the music but totally forgot who they were.

Maybe make the graphics slightly larger, last season i had to stick my glasses on just to see who was where etc...
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2154137)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's the name of the track?
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2154145)   #12
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I Play With Madness, from the 1988 album Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

....or Albert Park, depending on which 'track' you meant

Last edited by Kidzer; 16 Mar 2008 at 21:45.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2154152)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, it was 'Madness'...I couldn't work out whether it was madness, magnets or matches.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2154153)   #14
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
What's the name of the track?
Albert Park
Old 17 Mar 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2154507)   #15
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
Another graphic that I hadn't seen before was the pinpoint location of a car, shown on a map of the circuit. Useful when watching a pit stop to give you an idea of what position the driver will emerge in after his stop. I presume it's possible thanks to some sort of GPS transmitter rather than the car's transponder.
This was awesome. It was a shame the only time I saw it, it actually didn't matter as the two drivers weren't even that close.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2154509)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I liked the graphic that showed the track with sections turned yellow to show where there were waved yellow flags - useful for giving the viewer an impression of exactly where an incident has taken place, as it's not always easy to tell on first glance. I thought it could have been used a bit more yesterday though!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Mar 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2154576)   #17
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
The commentators said something about GPS transmitters on every car, which is what the pitwall monitors have shown for the last few seasons. I don't get why they wouldn't have that available online together with the Live Timing that we already get...
Old 17 Mar 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2154607)   #18
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

At the risk of starting a heated discussion, here's a quote from Ross Brawn last year:
Quote:
It’s a very frustrating business to watch F1 on British TV. It’s definitely a new experience for me to watch it with a different perspective and also the quality of commentators on English TV. We’re used to having all the data and all the split times and we can see the race developing. What’s clear when you watch it on the TV is that you don’t get that information. Our commentators don’t seem very good at conveying what is going on. It’s very frustrating to watch a race and not have that information which is available to everyone at the track.
So as you have already mentioned mjolnir, the data is available to the teams and officials, so why not provide it to the fans too?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2154734)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good point. It seems that Bernie doesn't like to share...
Old 17 Mar 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2154815)   #20
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
That's a wee bit hypocritical coming from the team that doesn't like to give out its pit radio... (his ex-team of course)

Selby
Old 17 Mar 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2154828)   #21
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like the new info scroll down on the bottom of the screen, but everything else was fine. At least the commercial interruptions were minimal compared to the standard US NASCAR races.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2154836)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, there's live timing on the site. I have that running during commercial breaks. The GPS stuff could be put in that, but it might chew up a lot more bandwidth. But a track map showing the yellow flag area should be used all times yellows are shown - maybe the same with other flags ...

Re radios : IMO it should be added to the regulations that teams should only be allowed five minutes of "off time" per race.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2156355)   #23
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About the graphics, I would like to see FOM adding one for qualifying. At the end of each segment, have graphic which shows that driver has gone past chequered flag, and is not able to improve anymore. MotoGP has used it for a long time already.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2156426)   #24
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hear hear to that Bleu- I was getting worried at the end of Q1, not knowing who's finished and who might've knocked Webber out!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 19 Mar 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2156447)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe change them from transparent to solid ...