Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 4 Feb 2021, 12:22 (Ref:4033415)   #61
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There's some info on the '92 BMWs here - https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...=128944&page=2

Also remember, the 1991 VL cars were M3s, the 1992 cars were 318s...
Same tech, different badge.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 12:27 (Ref:4033416)   #62
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Same tech, different badge.
I thought the M3 was an E30, and the 318 was an E36? Hence Neal switching later in 1992.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4033418)   #63
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
I think there always was some different interpretations of what the BMW models were. Neal didn't do much with the M3 and ended up in the 318 after he wrecked the M3 at Donnington
Old 4 Feb 2021, 12:38 (Ref:4033421)   #64
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I thought the M3 was an E30, and the 318 was an E36? Hence Neal switching later in 1992.
Sorry, what I meant was that how the cars were badged for marketing and what they actually were was basically unrelated.

The M3s started as 2.3s, then 2.5s, then 3.0s, then 3.2s etc. And when the E36 came out there was no M3 for a year or two, the 325i was the quickest one.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 12:49 (Ref:4033426)   #65
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Sorry, what I meant was that how the cars were badged for marketing and what they actually were was basically unrelated.

The M3s started as 2.3s, then 2.5s, then 3.0s, then 3.2s etc. And when the E36 came out there was no M3 for a year or two, the 325i was the quickest one.
Cheers - I just recall there being talk of differences between the 'M3' and '318' in terms of the race builds, and some of the differences were outside of factory changes.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 13:02 (Ref:4033430)   #66
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah good stuff. I also didn't realise that Neal had switched from the ex Prodrive coupe to a 4 door self built BMW in 1993. I did note he changed car number during the that season however...

Shame things never worked out with Dowson for Neal and Leslie in 94, the Mazda was a decent mid-field car early on. Leslie posting a couple of 8th place finishes. Then of course Neal had his big accident and a few rounds later the entire programme ended.

Was it the 94 Shoot out where Neal raced the bright green 323? I remember coming over to England and going to that race but can't remember if that was 94 or 95, my memory is hazy from those times.

I certainly remember attending the race, staying in the UK for 4 weeks, flying home and still getting back in time to watch the 'delayed' highlights on SuperSports back in Zimbabwe. It's just the actual years are lost on me.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 14:56 (Ref:4033455)   #67
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, good look back. I wonder why Neal made the switch of cars midway through 93? I guess the change of number was to bring more luck. 77 would be luckier than 13

Mazda really didn’t look good in 94, the team did their best and Leslie did get a couple of good results out of it, but the car was nowhere. Neal didn’t look comfortable in that car, although that accident wasn’t his fault
Old 4 Feb 2021, 15:17 (Ref:4033461)   #68
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes has a real shot at the championship!redshoes has a real shot at the championship!redshoes has a real shot at the championship!redshoes has a real shot at the championship!redshoes has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yep, good look back. I wonder why Neal made the switch of cars midway through 93? I guess the change of number was to bring more luck. 77 would be luckier than 13
There was rule change coming in 1994 that would require cars to have at least 4 doors, albeit privateer teams would still be allowed to run existing 2-door cars for a period. Switching to the 4-door mid-season was a way of getting ahead of the game.

Number change was for exactly that reason. 13 was considered unlucky, he couldn't use 7 as 1-10 were reserved based on prior year championship finishing order, so used 77 instead.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4033499)   #69
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is very superstitious and tried to beat them by doing away with them all and running number 13. He soon switched back after a run of bad luck.
Old 4 Feb 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4033500)   #70
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
those Mazdas ended up as backmarker in the 1997 NATCC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi21Yeic3KQ
Old 5 Feb 2021, 11:55 (Ref:4033584)   #71
S griffin
Veteran

I rewatched my 93 BTCC Season Review video. What a season, great mix of cars and performances could swing race by race. Very competitive season, with plenty of good racing. My favourite race that season would probably be the British GP support race.

One thing that isn’t picked up on is Winkelhock’s recovery in Rd 13 at Brands. After his early incident with Leslie, he worked his way back up to sixth and had the first five in sight, before he locked up, ruined his tyres and went off.

And Radisich really was the form man come the end of the season. A case of what might have been
Old 7 Feb 2021, 11:22 (Ref:4033815)   #72
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I rewatched my 93 BTCC Season Review video. What a season, great mix of cars and performances could swing race by race. Very competitive season, with plenty of good racing. My favourite race that season would probably be the British GP support race.

One thing that isn’t picked up on is Winkelhock’s recovery in Rd 13 at Brands. After his early incident with Leslie, he worked his way back up to sixth and had the first five in sight, before he locked up, ruined his tyres and went off.

And Radisich really was the form man come the end of the season. A case of what might have been
94 might have been his year if it weren't for the Alfas.
Old 7 Feb 2021, 11:29 (Ref:4033819)   #73
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
94 might have been his year if it weren't for the Alfas.
This comment is seen a lot, but who was the runner up? Not him.
Old 7 Feb 2021, 11:43 (Ref:4033824)   #74
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
This comment is seen a lot, but who was the runner up? Not him.
There's a reason why I said "might", he was one of the faves going into 94, Menu could have equalled Rouse's record with better luck.