Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jan 2021, 13:58 (Ref:4032060)   #1891
Aysedasi
Bubbling over...
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
This one might be a bit tricky to go into and all this might be worth an interesting separate thread Ayse?
Ah, quite possibly, but it could well develop into yet another thread about Tommy Byrne.....

It is interesting though. I returned from the 'wilderness' to start watching racing again around 1984/85. I watched a lot of F3 over the period between 1984 and 1990. Due to their (and my) links with Racing for Britain I closely followed Johnny Herbert and Andy Wallace and was disappointed when Wallace never made it to F1. Looking at the list of champions, it's littered with drivers who did well in F3 but never really made it in (or to) F1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...hree_champions

I remember driving and being driven around Donington park on a Saab day by Kelvin Burt and if you look at the British F3 champions between him in 1993 and (say) Danny Ric in 2009 who just didn't cut it in F1, there are a lot of them. Whether that says more about the changing face of F1 or the once fertile breeding ground provided by F3, I don't know...

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Jan 2021 at 14:08.
Old 30 Jan 2021, 14:40 (Ref:4032072)   #1892
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
F3 is all about huge amounts of junior testosterone, driving under powered cars absolutely flat out for a short period of time. F1 is driving cars with huge power kept in check by incredibly clever engineering for a couple of hours at a time. This was magnified back in the 2 litre halcyon days we're talking about.

Despite everyone being able to do it on PlayStation, it takes a special person to cut the mustard at F1 level. The driving of the car may actually be the least of the problems, and drivers who aren't 100% the real deal are chewed up and spat out. Some don't even get there because they just don't have "it". Whether it be the political skills to profit from a "junior scheme" or the fact they just can't handle the jump in power and speed it's not having the full package that matters.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 10 Feb 2021, 21:45 (Ref:4034577)   #1893
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Vilnius
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New sponsor ? Rich with energy?........
Old 10 Feb 2021, 22:22 (Ref:4034583)   #1894
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
New sponsor ? Rich with energy?........

No, really?
Old 11 Feb 2021, 06:43 (Ref:4034616)   #1895
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
I thought I saw a team advert or announcement about this the other day. But thought it was a dream (a bad one) so ignored it!
Old 11 Feb 2021, 06:48 (Ref:4034618)   #1896
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did hear this last week. Wasn’t sure if wind up or not!
Old 11 Feb 2021, 06:55 (Ref:4034620)   #1897
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
There was also something going round this week (on Twitter?) about how Storey is indebted to Bernie.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 07:40 (Ref:4034627)   #1898
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
You may recall that Williams met with RE, believed they had a deal and then learnt that RE had signed with Haas..
Old 11 Feb 2021, 07:47 (Ref:4034630)   #1899
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I was just hoping it was some confusion between the team name and Mr Storey's Christian name.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4034637)   #1900
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There was also something going round this week (on Twitter?) about how Storey is indebted to Bernie.
And there’s still plenty who think BCE is the money behind the new Williams ownership.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 08:39 (Ref:4034639)   #1901
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I was just hoping it was some confusion between the team name and Mr Storey's Christian name.
Yes, Williams and William S would not be a perfect match!
Old 11 Feb 2021, 10:09 (Ref:4034652)   #1902
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Vilnius
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Hynes career stall was odd but strongly suspect him not being extremely well financed and/or not linked to a development scheme had a major bearing.

I certainly fully expected him to progress to F3000 but if he didn't have the wherewithal to do that, F1 was never on. Shame, he was clearly a top talent.

Too tall for the cars of the time?
Old 26 Feb 2021, 20:33 (Ref:4037222)   #1903
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!gert has a real shot at the championship!
https://www.gptoday.net/nl/nieuws/f1...r-naar-renault

Dutch website GP Today announces that Williams and Mercedes are to split at the end of 2022 with Williams moving back to Renault.

Not sure how much credibility we have to attach to this story?
They also launced rumours about Sauber going to Renault earlier
https://www.gptoday.net/nl/nieuws/f1...rmen-voor-2022

I'll believe it when sites like Autosport confirm it.
Old 27 Feb 2021, 09:21 (Ref:4037253)   #1904
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
https://www.gptoday.net/nl/nieuws/f1...r-naar-renault

Dutch website GP Today announces that Williams and Mercedes are to split at the end of 2022 with Williams moving back to Renault.

Not sure how much credibility we have to attach to this story?
They also launced rumours about Sauber going to Renault earlier
https://www.gptoday.net/nl/nieuws/f1...rmen-voor-2022

I'll believe it when sites like Autosport confirm it.
They only signd an extenton to the deal in 2019, taking them through to 2025. Plus they have just extended to include transmissions / powertrains.

It seems to lack substance and I will wait for official word. I suspect if it is just rumour both parties will confirm that in the near future. Or admit it.
Old 27 Feb 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4037276)   #1905
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

If that happens it would make it pretty clear that manufactuers can only afford to supply and maintain 3 teams (including their own) with the cost caps coming soon?