Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Dec 2020, 14:22 (Ref:4020593)   #476
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
TF Sport set to join LMP2?

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/el...c-salih-yoluc/
Old 4 Dec 2020, 22:09 (Ref:4020689)   #477
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be a nice surprise if TF sport do so.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 13:44 (Ref:4029228)   #478
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Ultimate will be back for 2021 with an Oreca 07 supported by Tech 1 (just like Panis)
Drivers will be their familiar trio of Lahaye-Lahaye-Heriau

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/ultimate/
Old 8 Feb 2021, 07:43 (Ref:4034015)   #479
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DTM refugee Jonathan Aberdein joins #22 United crew.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...mp2-squad.html

I think that's a good enough excuse to take another look (and listen!) at his dad's old SA Modified Saloon Audi. What a beast...
https://youtu.be/tyyGDbpYUuU
Old 8 Feb 2021, 15:14 (Ref:4034102)   #480
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
DTM refugee Jonathan Aberdein joins #22 United crew.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...mp2-squad.html

I think that's a good enough excuse to take another look (and listen!) at his dad's old SA Modified Saloon Audi. What a beast...
https://youtu.be/tyyGDbpYUuU
I don't like the coffee table on the rear, for the rest
Old 11 Feb 2021, 14:40 (Ref:4034683)   #481
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A non-Ferrari, non-Porsche entry in GTE.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...-for-2021.html
Old 12 Feb 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4034823)   #482
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
43 Car Entry for the season. Great entry size, but a bit disappointed that Only 5 cars are not Oreca P2. Ligier P3 or Ferrari GTE. Variety has gone unfortunately, it needs a re-set in my opinion.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...ns-series.html

Last edited by LC2guy; 12 Feb 2021 at 13:29. Reason: link
Old 12 Feb 2021, 19:20 (Ref:4034876)   #483
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well an Aston for me to cheer, if we are allowed to actually attend any races.
Old 13 Feb 2021, 17:42 (Ref:4034975)   #484
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The lack of variety is a shame and it seems the ACO isn’t very pro active addressing the issue, especially in the prototype classes, P3 is a concern considering we are still in the early days of this rule set, does anyone know why Ligier seems to be the car of choice when a Duqueine won the championship last year?

No criticism on a full grid by the way just more variety would of been good
Old 2 Mar 2021, 18:07 (Ref:4038022)   #485
Mike E
Veteran

Robert Kubica, Louis Deletraz and Yifei Ye at Team WRT.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...lms-squad.html
Old 7 Mar 2021, 14:55 (Ref:4039422)   #486
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
The lack of variety is a shame and it seems the ACO isn’t very pro active addressing the issue, especially in the prototype classes, P3 is a concern considering we are still in the early days of this rule set, does anyone know why Ligier seems to be the car of choice when a Duqueine won the championship last year?

No criticism on a full grid by the way just more variety would of been good
I agree about variety but what can you do about it?
Old 7 Mar 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4039454)   #487
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Remove the limit on number of constructors but leave the cost capped price for a chassis. Smart design and development will come up to the surface and competitors will recognize it and will try to take advantage of it.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 09:01 (Ref:4040481)   #488
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Remove the limit on number of constructors but leave the cost capped price for a chassis. Smart design and development will come up to the surface and competitors will recognize it and will try to take advantage of it.
Agree with this. Also remove single engine manufacturer, but cost cap the engine.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 11:35 (Ref:4040514)   #489
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They won't find any new fans for endurance racing because it's too boring to watch a 3 hour race for most of the public. They already have lost some old fans who used to cheer the tech variety which was the key point of interest for those who are not interested in (or not being a relative to) drivers. And nobody cares about the situation. Success.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4040529)   #490
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
They won't find any new fans for endurance racing because it's too boring to watch a 3 hour race for most of the public. They already have lost some old fans who used to cheer the tech variety which was the key point of interest for those who are not interested in (or not being a relative to) drivers. And nobody cares about the situation. Success.
That may be the case for the casual viewer, yes. For me, I hugely enjoyed watching all of the ELMS coverage last year, I also watched all of the MLMC races and all of the AsLMS. It's good immersive racing and that's why I watch racing. Tech variety is all well and good but it isn't the be-all and end-all for everyone. Times change....
Old 15 Mar 2021, 13:54 (Ref:4040562)   #491
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
43 Car Entry for the season. Great entry size, but a bit disappointed that Only 5 cars are not Oreca P2. Ligier P3 or Ferrari GTE. Variety has gone unfortunately, it needs a re-set in my opinion.
Variety is everything for me. I have zero interest in this entry list and therefore the series this year.

I thus find myself in disagreement with Aysedasi. That may be the first time this has happened, which at least reassures me that I am able to form an independent opinion .
Old 15 Mar 2021, 16:53 (Ref:4040604)   #492
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do think both tech variety and good racing is achievable though. We had more variety and just as good racing under the previous set of regulations in LMP2 as well.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4040607)   #493
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can understand where those interested in tech and tech variety are coming from. Different constructors and different engines would undoubtedly interest me, but then I'd have to wade through 10,000 posts decrying BOP.... I'm joking (of course). But the bottom line is that the racing needs to be good. I've watched many forms of racing over the years when it was dominated by single constructors, but there was great racing. The best race I've watched for years was on my one recent visit to a BTCC meeting - Thruxton back in 2019 (?). No, not the BTCC, but the mini race on the same programme. It was sensational.

I don't think it's so much of a difference of opinion (which in itself is absolutely fine) but just a different viewpoint.... (I also have to accept that there has been another element to my interest over the past season).
Old 15 Mar 2021, 17:13 (Ref:4040613)   #494
blankfile
Racer

blankfile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Take the lmp2 regs and slightly increase cost cap, free up the engine and chassis. BOP the engine/powertrain to the gibson including hybrid systems balanced out with extra weight and call it lmp1. Thats what i'd do.
That way you'd still have the slightly faster prototypes for teams that want to spend just a little more without resorting to a full on manufacturer/hypercar.
You'd also return to the old battle of prototype vs gt1 ish with these classes.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 17:18 (Ref:4040614)   #495
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I can understand where those interested in tech and tech variety are coming from. Different constructors and different engines would undoubtedly interest me, but then I'd have to wade through 10,000 posts decrying BOP....
I’m not even bothered about the tech tbh. Or even the racing! My perspective is primarily that of a spectator taking photos. I regularly have no idea who wins the races I attend until I get home and read about it. It’s all about the sensorial experience - what the cars look and sound like.

That’s very much not a typical motor racing fan view - yours is much more so. ELMS does offer close racing, even if it is artificial .
Old 15 Mar 2021, 18:34 (Ref:4040628)   #496
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I’m not even bothered about the tech tbh. Or even the racing! My perspective is primarily that of a spectator taking photos. I regularly have no idea who wins the races I attend until I get home and read about it. It’s all about the sensorial experience - what the cars look and sound like.

That’s very much not a typical motor racing fan view - yours is much more so. ELMS does offer close racing, even if it is artificial .
Yeah, I do get that, as an amateur racing photographer myself.

The thing is, artificial or not, great close racing is still great close racing. Just look at some of the battles we've had in GTEPro in the last few years. For all the whining about the impurity of BOP, it's actually give us a race to watch instead of a Mercedes-style procession...
Old 15 Mar 2021, 19:02 (Ref:4040635)   #497
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The thing is sportscar racing has always given us great variety. And while I’m not always a fan of BoP, it does seem to work in ELMS, so we do get great battles in all classes and it balances out, so the cream rises to the top come the end. ELMS is not my favourite series, certainly it’s not as good as WEC or IMSA, but it has enough going for it to make it worth watching
Old 15 Mar 2021, 20:45 (Ref:4040663)   #498
Mike E
Veteran

I'm somewhere in between on this. Of course I want good racing but I also have no time for spec series. LMP2 is almost at that point in reality of course because of the ACO's deeply flawed 4 constructors/frozen homologation approach.

On the face of it, it is quite a pure formula because there is a technical rule book and no BoP. But without the ability to develop, of course everyone gravitates to the best chassis. United Autosports even sacrificed their UK distribution deal with Ligier in order to have a shot at winning. You would have to say that worked out for them.

When I took my brother-in-law to LM for the first time about 7 years ago one of his first observations was how different all the cars sounded. He is not a racing fan but he was pleasantly surprised.

Even GTE is getting very samey, despite BoP. And if it wasn't for BoP everyone in Am would be running a Ferrari. The sooner it is replaced by GT3 the better.

As for LMP2 and LMP3, they are 'successful' in the sense that the grids are full. But they have failed to protect the anointed constructors, except Oreca in P2 and Ligier in P3. The idea of being able to build cars in large numbers because of limited competition might have seemed like a good idea at the time but it hasn't worked out that way. I hope they can think of a way of improving it. Which probably means BoP...
Old 15 Mar 2021, 20:59 (Ref:4040667)   #499
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
ELMS has kind of stagnated recently. It does seem there isn’t the interest there once was. It seems it can’t compete with the WEC. As a result it doesn’t seem that important for the teams that have competed in the past. BoP is now a necessity in the series

Shame really, but it hasn’t really progressed the last few years. Now teams like UA see more sense in competing in the WEC and a lot of teams left in ELMS are there because they have nowhere else to go. WEC has it’s faults, but it’s still got plenty of different teams and constructors/manufacturers competing and that’s how sportscar racing should be

With the new Le Mans rules coming in, you wonder how long ELMS can go on for. Unless there is a big demand for a return to LMPs at Le Mans, how can this series stay sustainable and relevant? GTs are the only classes likely to stay relevant and let’s face it, we have enough GT series as it is, so it would hardly be an improvement if was just that class competing. So that would be the end of that idea

It’s still a good series in it’s own right, but it’s starting to lose it’s relevance
Old 16 Mar 2021, 10:41 (Ref:4040749)   #500
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LMDH top class is an intriguing possibility for ELMS. Maybe 2024 onwards?

Especially if you get some ELMS teams stepping up or adding a LMDH to their programmes. A bit like you get P2 teams running P3 cars now.