Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 23 Feb 2021, 03:03 (Ref:4036364)   #126
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Chip Ganassi has been fined and ejected from the next race for violating NASCAR's Covid-19 protocols.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 07:49 (Ref:4036373)   #127
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Chip Ganassi has been fined and ejected from the next race for violating NASCAR's Covid-19 protocols.
If Chip did his violating mid race would they throw a caution? And send the track blowers after him?

Rules are rules I suppose
Old 23 Feb 2021, 17:29 (Ref:4036468)   #128
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://racer.com/2021/02/23/opinion...ourse-fatigue/

Interesting read, but rather than road racing fatigue its more like "Nascar don't know what the dog gone heck they are doing" fatigue. Between excessive caution flags and the continued use of stages.

Also any winning driver can finish 30th in every race until the "playoffs" now. What motivation is that? Im surprised some drivers have not taken weeks off for the heck of it after they get a win and are assured of a top 30 in points position.

Miss Winston Cup so much. I don't watch the races at all by the way. I just read about the dumpster fire that happens week to week. At least for now until the Sebring 12 hours comes our way.
Old 24 Feb 2021, 20:55 (Ref:4036811)   #129
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
https://racer.com/2021/02/23/opinion...ourse-fatigue/

Interesting read, but rather than road racing fatigue its more like "Nascar don't know what the dog gone heck they are doing" fatigue. Between excessive caution flags and the continued use of stages.
https://racer.com/2021/02/24/tv-rati...ona-road-race/

Obvious the answer is NO Kelly only you and your TERRIBLE press releases only reporting is tired of it. We get you want to love on some mile and a half tracks but the racing there has been GARBAGE lately. 99% of it is down to the car, NASCAR has followed F1 down the wind tunnels are king rabbit hole. And they have forgotten racing isn't time trials, there are other cars. The new car has at least been testing with one other car, they need 4 or 5 at a time and of all 3, although the bodies are damn near identical.

Oh, the ratings for the road course matched the 500 if you didn't want to red the article. 2.8/4.75 million, down only fractionally from the 500. Yes, the rain delay hurt but the junior boys had a .76/1.24 million for the road race and .9/1.6 for their superspeedway event. Viewers aren't tired, only the garbage I don't want to work that hard drivers she talks to are. See the Busch idiots last year without practice, oh wait, you can't learn to drive around your problems, guess you aren't as good as you think cause others did fine.
Old 25 Feb 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4036942)   #130
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Remove the stages, make most of the races shorter.
Old 25 Feb 2021, 17:28 (Ref:4036957)   #131
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Yeah. One race, one chequered flag, one winner.

Shorter would be better for me - I have not stayed awake long enough to watch a Cup race from green to chequer in a long time. A real long time...
Old 25 Feb 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4036968)   #132
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yeah. One race, one chequered flag, one winner.

Shorter would be better for me - I have not stayed awake long enough to watch a Cup race from green to chequer in a long time. A real long time...
Same here. Last time I pulled this off was in 2001. But I can follow the 12 hours of sebring from start to finish no problem.
Old 25 Feb 2021, 20:45 (Ref:4037002)   #133
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
You sir should be in charge. Daytona 500, World 600 great. The rest 250-300 miles and no more than 2 hours, and go STRAIGHT THROUGH, points at the end.

Hell I would even go with no practice except a couple tracks on the calendar, allowing for tracks of similar makeup. Roll off the trucks Sat morning, quali after GN guys go out and let's race. Could even run everything Sat and Sunday. GN quali morning, Cup around noonish, GN race, Cup race Sunday afternoon and done. Trucks when applicable can filter in and allow Friday running as needed.
Old 26 Feb 2021, 02:45 (Ref:4037044)   #134
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m in.
Old 26 Feb 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4037138)   #135
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've always liked the qualifying the day of race for these guys but certainly mixing it up with not every race being the long enduros is what they need to do. Make the big races mean more and that will have to trickle down to the lower 2.

But I'm not watching much at all until the stages go away. I can stomach The Chase if I have to but the bullshit cautions and stages just drive me up the wall. The stages are pretty much competition cautions anyways, so its double maddening for me.

If they want something like stages, just do heat races; that's what they're after anyways. It would be great at short tracks especially. 30 lap / 12 car heat races with the possibility of a one off local dude trying his luck. Last chance qualifiers followed by the main event. I'd cozy up to the TV on a Saturday night for that!
Old 26 Feb 2021, 15:58 (Ref:4037154)   #136
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I still think that Cup and Xfinity should do heat races on Saturday (60-80 miles Cup, 40-60 miles Xfinity), and a feature race on Sunday (200-300 miles Cup, 150-200 miles Xfinity).
Old 26 Feb 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4037196)   #137
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
If they want something like stages, just do heat races; that's what they're after anyways. It would be great at short tracks especially. 30 lap / 12 car heat races with the possibility of a one off local dude trying his luck. Last chance qualifiers followed by the main event. I'd cozy up to the TV on a Saturday night for that!
Ask and you shall receive, well for Bristol dirt at least. 15 lap heat races to determine the starting lineup, 4 races to be run on Saturday. 250 lap race on Sunday, and yes there will be stages.

https://racer.com/2021/02/26/heat-ra...-bristol-dirt/
Old 26 Feb 2021, 18:40 (Ref:4037210)   #138
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The chase is bogus. As of a few yrs ago Nascar said the champion every year would have been the same w/o it. I don't think so. One year Harvick had a 295 pt lead going into the chase. Before the chase, he could have skipped a race and finished 25th in another and STILL had the points lead. Even a hothead like him drives a bit different with a big cushion.

For the record, I hate the front chicane at Daytona. Nascar claims the cars would be going 210 at the braking point for turn 1 w/o it. So what. Aren't they all supposed to be RACING drivers?

I attended the 24 '91-'95 and have watched nearly all available coverage for the last 20 years. I have observed 2 things: Rarely does an hour pass w/o a RACING driver blowing the bus stop. Rarely is there a restart w/o a RACING driver going too deep into turn 1.
Old 27 Feb 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4037313)   #139
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
, and yes there will be stages.

So f-ing dumb.
Old 27 Feb 2021, 16:19 (Ref:4037330)   #140
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
You sir should be in charge. Daytona 500, World 600 great. The rest 250-300 miles and no more than 2 hours, and go STRAIGHT THROUGH, points at the end.

Hell I would even go with no practice except a couple tracks on the calendar, allowing for tracks of similar makeup. Roll off the trucks Sat morning, quali after GN guys go out and let's race. Could even run everything Sat and Sunday. GN quali morning, Cup around noonish, GN race, Cup race Sunday afternoon and done. Trucks when applicable can filter in and allow Friday running as needed.
Are the Trucks still an appeal to fans? I'm not sure. A NASCAR "sprint" series using either cup or grand national cars with races less than an hour with no pit crew needed could work I think. Same for a road racing only series for stock cars (perhaps NASCAR and IMSA could co-sanction that). I think those would appeal better than ARCA or Trucks.
Old 27 Feb 2021, 16:22 (Ref:4037331)   #141
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belt driven View Post
The chase is bogus. As of a few yrs ago Nascar said the champion every year would have been the same w/o it. I don't think so. One year Harvick had a 295 pt lead going into the chase. Before the chase, he could have skipped a race and finished 25th in another and STILL had the points lead. Even a hothead like him drives a bit different with a big cushion.

For the record, I hate the front chicane at Daytona. Nascar claims the cars would be going 210 at the braking point for turn 1 w/o it. So what. Aren't they all supposed to be RACING drivers?

I attended the 24 '91-'95 and have watched nearly all available coverage for the last 20 years. I have observed 2 things: Rarely does an hour pass w/o a RACING driver blowing the bus stop. Rarely is there a restart w/o a RACING driver going too deep into turn 1.
They don't want their precious Cup cars be seen to be outpaced by GT4 cars. I wonder if anybody has estimated what the Cup cars lap times are at Daytona without the pit entrance chicane? Anybody know this?
Old 27 Feb 2021, 20:00 (Ref:4037347)   #142
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It just shows that NASCAR should stick mainly to ovals. Nothing wrong with a few road courses, but they would be less distinguishable to other race series if they used them all the time. Quite frankly running ovals with chicanes hasn’t worked and should never have been done in the first place
Old 1 Mar 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4037713)   #143
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Many things posted here I'm sitting here nodding my head and saying yup.

NASCAR cars are pretty crap on anything other than an oval. Keso said that the other day and he is right in my opinion. However, watching talented guys having to work hard to get a big heavy blob around a race track is entertaining. So I would like some non oval tracks, but would be disappointed if ovals weren't say 75% of the meetings.

Silly chicanes I don't like at the best of times. A NASCAR Cup car is not a little go kart, so a chicane is always icky.

Shorter stage free races are the way to go for me. Big long races for the prestigious always been that way things like the Daytona 500 and Coke 600. They would be more special by being stand out long races, just like say Bathurst in Supercars.

I do think practice and qualy are good things, but to keep costs down make 'em much shorter. Say 1 hour track time for practice and another 1 hour qualy session. Do 'em on the day of the race so Cup cars only run Sunday, xfinity Saturday.

The Chase has and always will suck. Harvick is my champion from last year. I do love Chase, but in any sensible world old H was the man over the full season.
Old 6 Mar 2021, 21:16 (Ref:4039281)   #144
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crazy restarts in the truck race at LVMS last night, hopefully we'll see something similar in the other races.

Also, if you want to get a taste of what it's like driving on the Bristol dirt there have been some other cars trying it out - here's an onboard video from a Late Model:

https://youtu.be/Bx-zm92TbcI

Looks pretty darn cool, can't wait to see NASCAR hit the track.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 01:15 (Ref:4039299)   #145
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
They don't want their precious Cup cars be seen to be outpaced by GT4 cars...
Too late.

Last fall at the Charlotte Roval, the Xfinity cars got 2 dry laps in before rain. The rest of the race was at least damp.

The IMSA GTLM/GTD race started on wets: the whole race was either wet or frog drowning. Fastest lap was only 2 mph slower than Xfinity dry.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 16:43 (Ref:4039452)   #146
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
NASCAR needs sorting out and soon. They've tried doing new innovations like 'oval road courses', but it hasn't worked. They should concentrate mainly on the ovals and try and make the racing less gimmicky. Other series like Indycar and IMSA are doing just fine. Time NASCAR took it's head out of the sand and went back to basics
Old 7 Mar 2021, 22:19 (Ref:4039512)   #147
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, we had 15 years of Brian France screwing things up. It wouldn't surprise me if it takes years to fix all he screwed with.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 23:08 (Ref:4039523)   #148
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Normally I avoid watching these 1.5 Mile tracks because they used to be pretty boring but whatever they’ve done is really good. This has been very exciting, it’s like Daytona for the first 10 or so laps of a restart.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 23:52 (Ref:4039530)   #149
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Normally I avoid watching these 1.5 Mile tracks because they used to be pretty boring but whatever they’ve done is really good. This has been very exciting, it’s like Daytona for the first 10 or so laps of a restart.
Yeah the restarts have been wild and very entertaining.

Great to see Larson picking up the win. I had a feeling his talent combined with Hendrick material would be a winning combination.
Old 8 Mar 2021, 02:38 (Ref:4039539)   #150
WyldStallion
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It just shows that NASCAR should stick mainly to ovals. Nothing wrong with a few road courses, but they would be less distinguishable to other race series if they used them all the time. Quite frankly running ovals with chicanes hasn’t worked and should never have been done in the first place
I disagree with this. The tracks are not the problems. Its the stages, the "playoffs", the way they handled the Bubba Smollett debacle, and the lack of star power amongst the recent crop of new drivers. Think about it, can you name a genuine star in NASCAR whose rookie year came in 2010 or later? I can only think of 1...Chase Elliott.