Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Feb 2021, 20:20 (Ref:4034567)   #376
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
fair question.

i guess this is where my n.american/other sports i watch/political beliefs slant comes into it for me because this practice is such common place over here.

in the NBA, for example, the trading of players between teams requires an exchange of a similar amount of assets (so everyone knows everyone's salary). this protects small market teams from just losing out to the big teams who can afford to pay more. add in revenue sharing and salary/budget caps and you start to get a framework for a more balanced distribution of talent and resources. all this requires the teams to be transparent with us the fans from whom they generate this revenue in the first place.

does it always work...of course not but the overall trajectory, imo, has been a greater number of team capable of winning. so a more successful sports league. naturally i want the same thing for F1.

i've taken a few stabs at this now...not sure i can answer it any better.
I get exactly where youíre coming from and donít necessarily disagree with you :-)

I suppose thereís a massive difference...being from Europe Ummm used to seeing massive disparities in wages....take football for instance. How is it fair that someone can earn £200k a week, play against someone who earns £200 a week......

...a lot of that comes down to talent, marketing and success.

Unfair? Probably....both players do the same job, kick the same ball, play on the same pitch, but one is more successful and therefore is far more marketable....itís all about return on investment.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4034568)   #377
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Drifting (slightly) off topic, but we regularly hear discussion about whether a driver would perform as well in a lesser car. Maybe the NFL-style franchise system would work for F1?

Each team has a place on the grid, and the numbers are fairly fixed. There is very little inclination that new teams are looking to join or leave, so why not run it in a franchise manner?
The personnel at each team consists of a common 'roster', and new entrants to the sport are 'drafted'. We'd then have teams faced with the question of whether they want to spend part of their cap on a driver like Hamilton, or a designer like Newey.
Would you want to risk a deal for a Russell, or settle for the experience of a Bottas?
Ummm karting, formula Ford, formula 3, formula 2....the best drivers win I equal cars then end up in the best teams in F1.

Even in draft sports, teams have their stars.

You canít tell me that Brady, Mahomes, Crosby, Ovechkin get paid the same as a 4th liner....just like in F1, there are stars, and there are the others.

Letís not forget the effort put in to get to the top.

Itís no fluke that Hamilton beat Alonso in his rookie year....he got there on talent... sometimes I think people forget that.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 20:42 (Ref:4034570)   #378
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Ummm karting, formula Ford, formula 3, formula 2....the best drivers win I equal cars then end up in the best teams in F1.

Even in draft sports, teams have their stars.

You canít tell me that Brady, Mahomes, Crosby, Ovechkin get paid the same as a 4th liner....just like in F1, there are stars, and there are the others.
Which is similar to NFL.
Players go through school, college then get drafted into the main league. Once there, the best establish themselves and then earn huge contracts.
If you compare Mahomes with Brady - KC were happy to build their roster around him, sacrificing some of their cap elsewhere. Whereas NE reached the point that they didn't want to make that sacrifice for Brady, so released him.
You could compare that with Verstappen and Hamilton. RBR may want to pay big for MV, and utilise free agents elsewhere on the roster or draft picks. Mercedes on the other hand may opt for a more balanced roster, and release LH.
You'd then have other teams deciding on if they want to make an offer to LH, or feel he is too expensive. The best drivers will always get the biggest contracts, but you may also see teams taking a punt on a driver.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4034703)   #379
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!
Drivers' salary caps have been written about on this and other threads, and they were also discussed at today's Commission meeting, but no decision was taken as yet. Along with the matter of the proposed sprint races, it will be talked about again at further meetings.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 17:56 (Ref:4034711)   #380
Aysedasi
Bubbling over...
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Like everyone else I'm sure, I can't wait........