Kevin Magnussen 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Jan 2021, 00:45 (Ref:4032286)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Magnussen

Who’s the best? Jan or Kevin?

I thought of this thread as Jan was mentioned today isn’t he F1 forum and Kevin has just been leading the Daytona 24. Maybe one day we’ll have this discussion in Sportscar forum too?

Chose your criteria. F1 only, all racing, whatever...
Old 31 Jan 2021, 08:04 (Ref:4032394)   #2
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I saw Jan in F3 many times and he could apparently walk on water . But in F 1, it was clear his laid back temperament was letting him down and he underdelivered to an embarrassing level. Elsewhere , he's thrived . I know far less about Kevin's career outside F1 but he struck me as being completely at home in F1 - tough , fast , committed.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4032420)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting that so far it is 6-1 to Kevin..... Personally, I think that Jan was probably the greater talent. Sadly not rewarded in F1, although he has had a great sportscar career that may be F1 fans have less knowledge of. Kevin? A workmanlike job in F1, but often ragged and with a suspect temperament at times.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 11:21 (Ref:4032428)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Interesting that so far it is 6-1 to Kevin..... Personally, I think that Jan was probably the greater talent. Sadly not rewarded in F1, although he has had a great sportscar career that may be F1 fans have less knowledge of. Kevin? A workmanlike job in F1, but often ragged and with a suspect temperament at times.
I don't think it could be summed up any better Ayse 👍🏻

I'll only add that one of Jan's strongest weekends was, I think, his last one? Can't quite recall. But if he was on a good course of improvement it's a big shame Stewart didn't retain him. I mean Jos hardly did any better when he took over.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 11:31 (Ref:4032431)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I've thought of another poll!

Jan or Tommy Byrne?

( i'll get me coat)
Old 31 Jan 2021, 12:52 (Ref:4032452)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I've thought of another poll!

Jan or Tommy Byrne?

( i'll get me coat)
I've got it here for you. Bye......
Old 31 Jan 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4032494)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Both had great natural talent, but Kevin was probably the one who made more use of it

Jan was described by JYS as the best natural talent since Senna, but was way too lazy and his pace over long distance made people point the finger at his lifestyle, notably his diet of Marlboros and Big Macs

Kevin also very naturally talented, maybe was a bit unlucky that after his debut season with McLaren he never got a car to get him on the podium again and his more dedicated approach meant he was always going to have a longer career than his Dad. Just a shame his track manners often left something to be desired...
Old 31 Jan 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4032532)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i still can't decide, this is like "daddy or chips".

the main reason kevin riled everyone up is that most of them didn't race in proper formula ford like he did. you just don't learn the same close racing skills in formula renault and equivalents because you get fewer opportunities to pass in the first place due to the aero.

i think jan is the better sportscar driver, but kevin was the better f1 driver. that said, i think if jan was racing now, with the better driver support we have now, he'd probably have the upper hand.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 18:05 (Ref:4032593)   #9
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I've had the privilege of interviewing both Stewarts and it was clear that they adored Jan the man ( as it were ) but had doubts from very early on about his legendarily laid back temperament.

This is direct quote from Paul - " ...he just didn't know how hard to work . Even on his very first meeting with us ,Jan turned up dragging his arse in dirty jeans , but we knew he was good , and it was almost as though it was too easy for him .He had magic dust around him ".