Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Do you want Saturday Sprint Races?
Yes, I want Saturday Sprint Races 10 32.26%
No, I don't want Saturday Sprint Races 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Feb 2021, 00:30 (Ref:4033676)   #16
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
And all this talk of extra races etc helps meet the mandate to reduce costs how?
Asking for a friend.
More races on the same weekend isnít really a cost increase (relatively) and the cost per race becomes much better!
Old 6 Feb 2021, 01:17 (Ref:4033679)   #17
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
And all this talk of extra races etc helps meet the mandate to reduce costs how?
Asking for a friend.
Less practice and more racing would make little difference to costs. The mileage would be the same.
Old 6 Feb 2021, 01:42 (Ref:4033681)   #18
2 litre Touring Car Star
Racer

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

At the moment, we are talking hypothetical. Why not have a couple of sprint races during the season and see what they bring?
Because it's cheap.
Old 6 Feb 2021, 07:27 (Ref:4033700)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...r7Xk60S5g.html

In the above article, Stefano Domenicali doesn't elucidate the sprint race format or intention really, other than implying it's to make it more 'attractive or interesting'.

I will therefore also abstain on the voting for now while awaiting further details. Of course, it raises questions:

- is it also going to require teams to 'show their hand' in terms of pace in free practice in order to qualify well for the sprint race, or how will the sprint race grid be decided?

- Will its focus be on giving a grid position for the Grand Prix and providing some entertainment along the way? That being so, how short does it need to be to ensure exciting battles resolved in a short timeframe, with drivers knowing they have limited time to get their moves done?

- How can it be ensured that the Grand Prix remains the star attraction? Does a sprint race risk shifting attention to that instead of the main event and changing viewer habits towards shorter races? (not something I'm keen on).

Furthermore, personally, I love qualifying. I love the pure nature of aspiring for the perfect lap and watching them on full chat.

I wouldn't necessarily be against it, and even seeing it trialled this year, but I would like it to be fleshed out more first before I can comment much.
Old 6 Feb 2021, 21:01 (Ref:4033769)   #20
B0U170NS
Racer

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd definitely like to see it tried out although no championship points given out. Starting positions based on championship position but reversed would be interesting but if that's too far then determine positions from one of the practice sessions.
Old 7 Feb 2021, 14:00 (Ref:4033846)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
All for another race on a weekend!

Preferably in addition, not instead of qualifying.

If it's going to be for juniors/reserve drivers then it wouldn't affect qualy at all.
Old 8 Feb 2021, 18:26 (Ref:4034150)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
All for another race on a weekend!

Preferably in addition, not instead of qualifying.

If it's going to be for juniors/reserve drivers then it wouldn't affect qualy at all.
I can't dispute the logic or passion - we all love racing, so why shouldn't we want more? I can't help but feel it detracts from the Grand Prix, though, or does it become a part of the Grand Prix?

I can certainly defend it on the grounds of it being racing, and secondly on the fact they're all gathered there anyway (rather than having more race weekends), but with the sense that we have sometimes reached saturation point with more than 20 races, would this not maintain or add to that feeling?
Old 8 Feb 2021, 18:33 (Ref:4034154)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
We do all love racing, thatís correct, but we get enough of that on a Sunday. There has been talk of sprint races deciding the grid in the past, but nothing has come of it. Frankly I think things are fine the way they are race weekend wise

It could work and it would be intriguing, however I donít think itís needed that much. Really we have too many GPs anyway. Letís hope for a great season ahead and hope things get better, as there are plenty of other things F1 could improve on, so Iíd rather on making the racing simpler and better than this sprint race idea
Old 8 Feb 2021, 21:47 (Ref:4034184)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I can't dispute the logic or passion - we all love racing, so why shouldn't we want more? I can't help but feel it detracts from the Grand Prix, though, or does it become a part of the Grand Prix?

I can certainly defend it on the grounds of it being racing, and secondly on the fact they're all gathered there anyway (rather than having more race weekends), but with the sense that we have sometimes reached saturation point with more than 20 races, would this not maintain or add to that feeling?
If it gives young or reserve drivers a chance (or dare I say it, superstar motorsport celebs from other disciplines) then it is probably a feature and a benefit.
Old 8 Feb 2021, 22:15 (Ref:4034189)   #25
BTCC frog
Racer

BTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBTCC frog should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
If it gives young or reserve drivers a chance (or dare I say it, superstar motorsport celebs from other disciplines) then it is probably a feature and a benefit.
Then it would basically be a support race, which I think would be a good addition. My objection is if it was part of the Grand Prix (like a second race), and the drivers were given championship points. If it was a support race, for junior drivers, I would be for it.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 03:46 (Ref:4034203)   #26
bathurst77
Racer

Australia
NSW
bathurst77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbathurst77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SO many questions

does it earn points in constructor championship?

DO we let alternate drivers in instead of or in addition to sunday racers, the teams 3rd driver or "wild cards" in an extra car or in one of the 2 sunday cars to spice things up?

How would these saturday only drivers affect sunday grid position, and if a sunday driver is substituted by a one off driver, where will the main normal driver grid?

Wil the cars "parc ferme" after the race, so no special sprint set ups (including aero, suspension and engine modes)?

what if the car is damaged (likely) ? can they fix it overnight?
If a driver has an off on saturday and doesnt finish, is he back of grid on sunday?

DO they get supersoft tyres for saturday, do they have to use the same set of tyres to start on sunday as they raced on saturday?
WHat if they get a puncture or similar?

will we see drivers diving into the pit on the last lap to put on their sunday tyres or change set up for the main race?

Who wil be the 1st 10/10th-er to make a "saturday championship" points table. DO we award a "king of saturday sprint" at end of year?

Last edited by bathurst77; 9 Feb 2021 at 03:52.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4034280)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Then it would basically be a support race, which I think would be a good addition. My objection is if it was part of the Grand Prix (like a second race), and the drivers were given championship points. If it was a support race, for junior drivers, I would be for it.
The website run by ex Autospoders seems to be sure that the intent is for it to be for regulars, a points earning race and will have some sort of reverse grid intent?

This is the opposite of what was being reported before, no?

I'm not for it on that basis.

As I said previously, if it's for juniors/reserves it gives drivers and teams more opportunities to check each other out for the future and would be of huge benefit to everyone.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 11:24 (Ref:4034448)   #28
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r has a real shot at the podium!steve_r has a real shot at the podium!steve_r has a real shot at the podium!steve_r has a real shot at the podium!
Looking to other series that do more than one race per weekend, and how this affects the grid order of the successive races:

BTCC - has success ballast and partially reversed grid (randomly selected number of cars reversed between the top 6 and 10) for the 3rd race of the weekend based on race 2 results. Now, I love BTCC, but that is not the way that I would want F1 to go down.

WSBK - Had partially reversed grids based on previous race. The difference of course is that overtaking is very much easier. Jonathan Rea would often go from 10th to 1st within just 2 laps.

BSB - Successive race grids are set by fastest lap order from the previous race. This works well in this series. When BTCC introduced this it was a failure as many drivers did not properly compete in the 1st race, and just tried to set a one off good lap to get a favorable grid position in the next race.

World Touring Cars - Unless things have changed in the last year or so, this is the ultimate example of what not to do. They reverse grids, add very random and crippling success ballast, and have baffling stewards who used to give penalties for the tiniest contact and ignore other shunts. Like F1 but far worse!

I know that there are other series out there that have various rules with Saturday races determining Sunday grids. I don't think that there are any "perfect" solutions out there.

Last edited by steve_r; 10 Feb 2021 at 11:39.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4034460)   #29
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that a sprint race will just detract from the main race on a Sunday ....... and I don't see that it will spice up the grid for the main race - best packages will still shine through maybe with one or two exceptions following the odd issue and /or accident.
If it really is to spice things up ...... how about going back to something like the BMW M1 Pro Car races of yesteryear? Twenty identical, professionally prepared, high performance race cars (and I don't meant TCR or similar - maybe GTE/GT3 spec or better) and let the drivers race each other without worrying about damage to their precious F1 cars - maybe we would then see who is the best driver! That would spice the grid up a bit!
Old 11 Feb 2021, 00:41 (Ref:4034601)   #30
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
I think that a sprint race will just detract from the main race on a Sunday ....... and I don't see that it will spice up the grid for the main race - best packages will still shine through maybe with one or two exceptions following the odd issue and /or accident.
If it really is to spice things up ...... how about going back to something like the BMW M1 Pro Car races of yesteryear? Twenty identical, professionally prepared, high performance race cars (and I don't meant TCR or similar - maybe GTE/GT3 spec or better) and let the drivers race each other without worrying about damage to their precious F1 cars - maybe we would then see who is the best driver! That would spice the grid up a bit!
Would be nice, was entertaining to watch the IROC guys in the US take on heavy (911s once, American heavies mostly Camaro and Firebirds with a couple Dodges) even cars setup by one guy so they were a test of driving around what you don't like and making the best of the car for the day.

BUT with all the fun contracts what cars do you use? Can Ferrari guys be seen in an AMG GT3, same for MB guys in a 458? What about Lance, & Vettel, and his new Aston branding? McLaren as well. The rest? Well build a racing Alfa above TCR and Haas, are they gonna bring a Cup car? Although that would be fun and stupid. Red Bull can bring their soapbox cars and Juniors can bring the fancy race suits. Alpine has some cars out there but I don't think they are current outside of the one make series. Williams? Well maybe a Jag with their fun bits like they've built in the past for everyone in the field and a Williams car can win again.

Assuming you would use GT3, (GT4 has McLaren, MB AMG, Aston) given the rarity of extra current GTEs lying around. Currently only Ferrari has GTE of the entrants, so maybe collect up a bunch of Porsches. Or they all get a Carrera SuperCup car for the day?