Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Do you want Saturday Sprint Races?
Yes, I want Saturday Sprint Races 10 32.26%
No, I don't want Saturday Sprint Races 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Feb 2021, 01:36 (Ref:4034610)   #31
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They should use Austin Maestros. Not sure there is a GT3 version though

https://youtu.be/tXlMbP-uQt4
Old 11 Feb 2021, 07:27 (Ref:4034624)   #32
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They could do a spot of karting. Oh, how it would be a dream to see them perform in equal machinery like that (as much as I enjoy the constructor nature of F1). Although can you imagine any accusations of unequal machinery, different set-ups and questions of karts suiting individuals' driving styles or not?
Old 11 Feb 2021, 08:41 (Ref:4034641)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They should use Austin Maestros. Not sure there is a GT3 version though

https://youtu.be/tXlMbP-uQt4
Or how about BMW M1s? I guess the modern equivalent of that Procar series would be the Porsche Supercup. Without the F1 drivers though!
Old 12 Feb 2021, 18:50 (Ref:4034874)   #34
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Times yesterday seemed to be indicating that the plans were for a single practice on the Friday, with qualifying for the Sprint race on Friday afternoon.

Sprint race on Saturday to be approx one third normal race distance, with the results of the Sprint race to determine the grid positions for Sunday's race, and some championship points for the first 8 in the Sprint race.

Supposedly to be trialled at 3 meetings this year, if teams sign up to it.
Old 12 Feb 2021, 21:13 (Ref:4034894)   #35
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think I like the points AND positions from the sprint race. No problem with a sprint championship within the season, don't offer the sprint race at every race meeting. But I'm sure they will come up with something stupid and it will annoy more people than it should.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 04:56 (Ref:4035166)   #36
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could be a really good thing if they are allowed to run unlimited fuel flow and engine mapping as well and the tyres last the whole race when the driver is actually hanging it all out in a real sprint race but that won't happen. They should also make energy harvesting and use unlimited as well and see who can actually RACE 9/10 for the whole time. A sprint race should be just that, a no holds barred race.

What will happen when one of the stars totals a car and it can't be repaired in time or he finishes up injured and can't compete the next day.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 07:19 (Ref:4035173)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
What will happen when one of the stars totals a car and it can't be repaired in time or he finishes up injured and can't compete the next day.
Well raised reservations but I think these days teams have become quite good at turning a pile of junk into a sparkling new steed in fairly short time.

With reserve drivers being urged to attend events by their teams anyway (standing by to sub for Covid positive regulars) there will already be someone ready to jump in.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 07:41 (Ref:4035181)   #38
bathurst77
Racer

Australia
NSW
bathurst77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbathurst77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im still concerned that if they parc ferme the cars after the sprint, so the chassis and aero set up engine mapping and even tyres you run in the sprint is how you start the main race.
Will we see all the cars jamming into the pits near the end of the sprint to get new tyres and sunday set up screwed on.

18 laps of sprint, followed by pitlane traffic jam and fastest pit competition, then 2-3 lap balls to the walls sprint to the flag to scrub the tyres and get a grid spot

actually that sounds rather fun!

then theres strategy, as far as saturday vs sunday points .. it really does add a dimension. pit late on saturday race Or stay out to get saturday points and best grid position, then pitting really early in the main event for tyres and set up changes.

I wasnt in favour but now im warming to it for a handful of races, less than half.
but im dead against reverse grid, your grid position is earned by how good you and your team are, not by a coin toss - leave that stuff for the weekend amateur clubby "fun racers".

Last edited by bathurst77; 15 Feb 2021 at 07:51.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 07:46 (Ref:4035183)   #39
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!chunterer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
im still concerned that if they parc ferme the cars after the sprint, so the chassis and aero set up engine mapping and even tyres you run in the sprint is how you start the main race.
Will we see all the cars jamming into the pits near the end of the sprint to get new tyres and sunday set up screwed on.

18 laps of sprint, followed by pitlane traffic jam and fastest pit competition, then 2-3 lap balls to the walls sprint to the flag to scrub the tyres and get a grid spot

actually that sounds rather fun!
😅😅 yes that sounds mega!!
Old 15 Feb 2021, 21:01 (Ref:4035331)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
while i have been an advocate of playing around with the format, i would have a problem with a sprint race not being able to give us quali tires, low fuel, clean air, fastest lap that can be done by that car.

but as long as F1 bury that experience within Q2, rather in the middle of the hour instead of at the end of it, then qualifying as a whole, for me at least, is going to feel anti climactic which will naturally lead me to want to see alternatives.

like bathurst77, i also enjoy the strategy compromise between saturday and sunday but i also need to see a fast car go as fast as it can go.

im not sure if all of those 'asks' can be fit together?
Old 15 Feb 2021, 23:39 (Ref:4035351)   #41
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is no way that Grosjean or his car was going to race the next day. Perhaps they need to re-introduce T cars because I can't see a true sprint race happening any other way due to the drivers trying not to bin it at the front of the field and those at the back causing mayhem trying to climb through the field. I am all for it if they can actually have a no holds barred SPRINT race....bring it on I say and let the panels fly, let's see some true knock down, drag out sprint racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Well raised reservations but I think these days teams have become quite good at turning a pile of junk into a sparkling new steed in fairly short time.

With reserve drivers being urged to attend events by their teams anyway (standing by to sub for Covid positive regulars) there will already be someone ready to jump in.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 23:50 (Ref:4035353)   #42
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe they're actually thinking of using Sprint Cars for the sprint races? Scrape out a dirt oval at each Grand Prix venue and "let's go racing boys"!

640 odd Kg, 900 Bhp - methanol V8s at 9,000 rpm could provide the yin to the current F1 cars' yang?

Old 16 Feb 2021, 00:18 (Ref:4035356)   #43
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpeebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is no way that Grosjean or his car was going to race the next day. Perhaps they need to re-introduce T cars because I can't see a true sprint race happening any other way due to the drivers trying not to bin it at the front of the field and those at the back causing mayhem trying to climb through the field. I am all for it if they can actually have a no holds barred SPRINT race....bring it on I say and let the panels fly, let's see some true knock down, drag out sprint racing.
Car was no problem as spare easily built up from sub-assemblies, but I’m not sure rules allow reserve driver to start without qualifying anyway. So what’s different to someone being ruled out after qualifying before now?
Old 16 Feb 2021, 03:54 (Ref:4035361)   #44
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There is no way that Grosjean or his car was going to race the next day.
I think HAAS has already resolved this issue.
Old 16 Feb 2021, 23:40 (Ref:4035509)   #45
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Car was no problem as spare easily built up from sub-assemblies, but I’m not sure rules allow reserve driver to start without qualifying anyway. So what’s different to someone being ruled out after qualifying before now?
If drivers are precluded from the Sunday main event then the teams will throw their toys out of the pram and have a sulk and that will be the end of sprint racing which BTW won't be a true sprint race just a short warm up thing. The teams will all eventually come to the same recipe on how to best run the "sprint" race and normal order and operations will ensue from there.