Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Jul 2002, 18:20 (Ref:342658)   #1
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park Gold Cup

Oulton and the HSCC are reviving the Gold Cup meeting at the end of August.

Just wondering what memories people have of this race and of Oulton in general.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 01:01 (Ref:343032)   #2
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can remember going to the Gold Cup inearly 60's when it was still a pukka non-championship F1 race when all the top teams raced. Cannot remember the outcome of the F1 race that day but will always remember the supporting Saloon Car race when Clark, Hill & a very young Ickx climbed into works entered Team Lotus Cortinas along With a certain John Surtees in his own team entered version. John had qualified in pole but the car let him down in the race but I thouight it wonderful to read later that a certain bloke called Colin Chapman, had been seen in the paddock , looking underneath the Team Surtees Cortina. Wonder what John had done? Just a small thought but one I always treasure from Oulton. Saw the Gold Cup Back in early 80's when it was awrded to the winners of a 2 driver Thundersports event, seem to remember that Pete Lovett was one of them. No disrespect, but the names on that cup cannot be remembered in the same vein as the latter day winners.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 10:05 (Ref:343237)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone know who won it in 1984?
Old 26 Jul 2002, 10:20 (Ref:343246)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is the event which replaces the old "Coys" Historic Weekend.

It'll be interesting to see if mit is as successful as the Silverstone events.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 10:23 (Ref:343250)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um,

For "mit" read "it".
Old 26 Jul 2002, 10:59 (Ref:343272)   #6
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Anyone know who won it in 1984?
Peter Lovett/Ian Taylor in a Lola T594C-Mazda.

Bob Marley
Old 29 Jul 2002, 03:58 (Ref:344964)   #7
Rutle
Rookie

Rutle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a dim and distant memory - but if it serves me correctly, when I went to the Gold Cup - sometime in the early to mid '70's - it was a mixed F1 and F5000 grid. The F1 cars were current GP cars and the Gold Cup along with the Race of Champions at Brands were non-championship races which most of the manufacturers - notable exception being Ferrari - usually entered.

What I do remember though, was seeing those cars blast down the long straight and through the fast right hander that was Knicker Brook (no chicane then) and then the slight left hander up the hill and under the bridge towards Druids. Now that was exciting!!!