Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 9 Mar 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3513433)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMG would have probably paid them all to be there

Top Gear will get them far mroe coverage and attention than they are doing themselves.

They would literally have bene falling over themselves to be there and do anything possible.
Old 9 Mar 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3513435)   #27
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distracted View Post
Did anyone think the actual racing bits were muddled? I kept seeing cars racing that hadn't been on the start line. I need to watch it again to be sure. Maybe to get camera angles?
It was very muddled: I counted at least seven different cars in the six car Semi Final!

I'm sure they ran the cars on certain sections just to get certain shots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyXPics Facebook
...I seriously doubt they had cameras here when cars were on the normal round Chessons!

The podium video on Petter Solberg's Facebook page certainly implied there was a winner, but perhaps that was just set up for the camera. Some of the drivers certainly seemed to be putting on a show (and smashing some panels up) for the camera...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyXPics Facebook

One thing that has surprised me though: were no professional media (i.e. photographers) invited to the event?
Old 10 Mar 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3513519)   #28
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at that jump Steve, you wouldn't want to run wide at chessons. A new Mabbs bank maybe...
Old 10 Mar 2015, 10:34 (Ref:3513619)   #29
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Looking at that jump Steve, you wouldn't want to run wide at chessons. A new Mabbs bank maybe...
Possibly! As I said above its not as far onto Chessons as I initially thought, but I think there is still more than enough bank there to flip a car.

Be interesting to see how the MSA view the jump and whether its deemed safe enough to stay. I also wonder what the drivers think, some Facebook comments seem to indicate that there were a lot of suspension issues on the day as a consequence of the jump?
Old 10 Mar 2015, 10:46 (Ref:3513624)   #30
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You really think the MSA have any idea rallycross is even run in this country?

My only doubt would be that if you have two cars running a joker, they might try and run side by side on the jump exit/

IMG will love it as they will get rollvers, body contact. But, let's face oit the joker at Lydden has always been a huge compromise, far too long, far too tight and far too dangerous on the start.

But as I say IMG dont care as they want pop sponsored bangers

THe professional media would have been there, Tim would have controlled it as he does everything else, hence why noone one else woudl have been invited.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 11:23 (Ref:3513636)   #31
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
THe professional media would have been there, Tim would have controlled it as he does everything else, hence why noone one else woudl have been invited.
I can understand the control of images until the broadcast date of the rallycross episode.

Aside from a handful of shots on the BBC America site I have seen very few images from the day. Given how heavily they have been pushing the feature on social media I'm surprised that ERC24, RX Inside or Rubber Duck weren't present so it would get maximum coverage through all the well known rallycross sites.

I have noticed a few paddock shots care of Hal Ridge, so perhaps there will be a few more images on the Rallycross World site.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 12:23 (Ref:3513653)   #32
andyterry16
Rookie

andyterry16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure why some people seem so negative about 15 minutes of advertising on the most popular motoring program on TV. Ok, they messed about with the spotting, but at the end all three were very enthusiastic. As to 'A shame it was held at Lydden' where else would they have it? Brands - oh they grassed over the Paddock Hill section, Blyton - more basic than Lydden, Knockhill - Solberg hacking up to Scotland - Croft - probable noise limits these days. That leaves Lydden in the UK.

I know that not everyone is happy the way things are going but judging by the comments at work about the program a few people are keen to go and see it in the flesh. Rather than all the negative outlook that's take all the positives and hope more people go to watch. I also hope the British series makes the most of this.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 12:46 (Ref:3513664)   #33
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The reasons are fairly simple.

Lydden is the best track in the UK, but as race tracks go in Europe it is very basic facilities are basic as is most of the venue.

Two things, in its favour that makes it charming, accesible and non health and safety obsessed, it's getting that way but still not bad.

Secondly, if you are going to fork out a few quid to go and take kids family etc you could do with it being a bit nicer, a cafe praps, some seating to sit around and eat, decent loos not just one block. a shop maybe. Things that bigger venues might have. Never going to happen at Lydden is it?

As for positives about WRX, it looks great on paper. But when you are reading about a timing sponsor being announced and a logitics sponsor being announced neither company of which you have heard of I just feel theya re running before they can walk and always have. I want to see more cars, better support classes, paying some attention to heritage and history instead of going to stupid places liek Portugal, Argentina and Turkey where there is a tiny interest and the tracks are garbage.

Lydden is hanging on in there coz they pay a bunch to have it there, they have largely disregarded normal motorsport there sadly. But their biggest event is a tuning day. Not rallycross. If Pat hadn't been there from the start with IMG we would be just like Valkenswaard, Nyiraid, Kuovala, Maasmecehelen, Sosnova and others and be priced and marketed out of the calendar. We have to thank Pat for that.

WRX is great at the moment, but what I would like to see is some thought for the future, there is none. It is all about now, making as much money as possible.

With the people involved, (most of which have been involved for decades and should give a damn) I would just like to see some more interest in feeder formula, national series and the future, rather than plonking in some has been local guy from whatever country to try and stoke some interest.

Top Gear love it, that is clear. But beyond WRX rallycrss is on its knees in Europe really other than a few places, and IMG couldnt give a monkeys.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 13:23 (Ref:3513680)   #34
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You really think the MSA have any idea rallycross is even run in this country?
They certainly do.
I was their Steward @ Blyton (what a cracking venue) last March.

Last edited by BertMk2; 10 Mar 2015 at 13:31.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 00:17 (Ref:3513869)   #35
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm so glad this episode aired before all of the Clarkson controversy hit. Looks like there's no new Top Gear for at least three weeks... I'd have been peeved to wait that long to see this bit!
Old 11 Mar 2015, 01:01 (Ref:3513882)   #36
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't like the lack of car race meetings at Lydden, but other than that, there are few venues I would prefer to go to.

It's the only track I would buy food at. And if you don't, your car is parked trackside so you can easily walk back and eat sandwiches, none of this getting scanned in and out to get back to car as is the case at many other tracks.

I would hate to see Lydden developed too far, fenced off paddock or garages that hide cars away. I'm not a fan of joker laps, and would prefer cheesons as it was when there was an wide outside line. But other than that, Lydden is a great track for viewing and provides great racing and plenty of passing opportunities.

I actually wish more circuits were like it!!! I just don't see the attraction of developed tracks. None of the changes at Brands have been better for the spectator. The Grovewood Centre didn't really block anyone's view, but the Foulston Centre took away a large part of that great spectator banking, and the flipping air conditioning units are on the side. The "DTM" debris fencing on the inside of surtess has ruined spectating at that point. And the new garages and pitlane were higher and just block the view.

And can anyone tell me the point of "the wing" and new pitlane at Silverstone?? All it does is hide all but 4 pit lane garages in a big hole, and block that classic view across to hanger straight....

Of the two Kent circuits, I know which one I prefer. The less developed one, that hasn't grassed over its Rallycross track!!! So well done to Top Gear for once again using it as a filming venue. and well done to Lydden for getting on Top Gear...and agreed, lucky it was shown before the series was suspended...
Old 11 Mar 2015, 11:28 (Ref:3514053)   #37
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
THe constant harpng about Brands Hatch is getting tired, it will NEVER go there again, unless there is a temporary facility in pLACE.

Palmer would NEVER pay the money IMG would want, as a lot of other tracks have decided they can't, and to be brutal, rallycross just would not get a big enough crowd to warrant him doing this.

I would expect muh change at Lydden, but it is a very basic place. That is fine for us fans, but for a lot of folk there are not the facilities you would get at even a town fete. Let alone a sports venue. You get what you pay for and the tickets are relatively cheap.

THe Wing has been acknowledged as a disaster in much the same way Wembey or the Dome were, it's what happens when big organisations give an idea to someone who knows nothign about the sport.

As for complaining about viewing at Brands, the two palces are pretty much the same, very few meetings there where you would not be able to find anyehere to sit, and if you want to take pictures, well tough cheese.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 11:47 (Ref:3514072)   #38
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
As for complaining about viewing at Brands, the two palces are pretty much the same, very few meetings there where you would not be able to find anyehere to sit, and if you want to take pictures, well tough cheese.
Thankfully the GP circuit remains free of high fencing in most places. I fear its only a matter of time before that high catch fencing starts appearing out in the woods though.

For all its faults Lydden is still my fave track as it (so far) hasn't become overdeveloped, nor pushed the spectators away from the paddocks or put them behind high fencing to watch the racing. Long may it remain that way.

Back on topic I have to say that I too am glad the Clarkson issue developed this week. Some news reports are claiming that incident actually happened last week, but was only reported on Monday. Good thing they didn't report it on the day, or the World Rallycross episode would have got canned as well!
Old 11 Mar 2015, 14:48 (Ref:3514138)   #39
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The thing with Lydden is the venue is pretty safe anyway, if it was going to be developed it would have happened when McLaren bought it years ago, but they clearly didnt do theri research very well and realised noise issues were a bad thing.

It's such a simple layout, hardly easy for anything major to happen. You are protected by huge banks most of the way round.

I doubt the Top Gear thing would have much impact, all people are talking about now is Clarkson, and rallycross will have been long forgotten.

Politicians do it all the time, it's called releasing news when something massive has happened! Sort of gets lost in the ether!