Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 8 Jun 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2706939)   #26
MESHGA
Racer

MESHGA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh but it did! im not the one doing the dreaming!
how the hell do you think those meetings during 2002 to decently where financed?
Hard earned cash from people who loved to race but cant aford a mod car thats how .
Not having a go mate but take away S/H and what would the meetings been like if happened at all? I tell you very large gaps between the 20 odd cars entry
Old 8 Jun 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2706940)   #27
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross certainly needs tidying up, firstly I'd cut the number of championships 1 GB & IRE championship for starters, France, Norden (all Scandanavian countries), Central European, and Eastern European Championships. Thats just five Championships, 3 standard FIA classes Div 1, up to 1600 fwd, over 1600 rwd,non turbo with regulations and homologation. These 3 classes will be eligible for the European Rallycross Championship. Other classes are then open to Championship organisers discretion, named support classes.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2706944)   #28
dcdesign
Racer

Belgium
Oostmalle, Antwerp
dcdesign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For national championships, you can't work with only EURO-classes.... many guys coming from club-level rallycross, don't got big budgets, but they want to step up, take one step at a time...

They mostly have a overaged car, with decent power, but not out of engines following the international rules... 240Bhp out of a 1600cc is very costly, while 240Bhp out of a 2000cc or a 2500cc maybe, is rather do-able...

Also, stock-classes aren't the solution... as you see the stockhatch-class, there are big differences between the fastest, and the slowest... and because of the limited tuning, those differences are made through cheap parts, and very costly parts... also, many of the rallycrossdrivers are mechanics themselves... if you're family has a big BMW-dealership, then racing with a Citroën or a Peugeot, or a Swift, isn't an option...

Just get a free class, like modifieds, but make sure it is do-able to take part in it... If the class is ruled by some lightweight builds, with around 300Bhp, then i'm not going to think about spending 20k for building a BMW E30 M3, just for driving at the back... In Belgium, some years ago, there was a guy, with a stock BMW M5 E34, he only broke out the interior and welded in a rollcage... he was able to score podiums with that car... Because his concurrents with the big modified bmw's, had around the same capacity, and the same minimal weight...
Old 8 Jun 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2706979)   #29
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What you see on the continent is that a lot of drivers come in with a near standard car. Then after a while they get the hang of it and gradually save for more mods. Their car becomes more valuable and perhaps sometime they could move to a different car/class. They literally grow into the sport.
If you have standard classes you can't "grow". You can either spent a lot of money to get the expensive parts or you must find a way to step up to Supermods/Swifts.

The next point was also mentioned by dcdesign and I agree with that in that I think standard classes are aimed at the wrong kind of crowd. On the continent you see a lot of guys that are driving for the social part as much as for the competition part. They are often mechanics, they are driving their favourite brand of car and enjoy working and developing it, and most importantly they are there for the longterm. These are the drivers that form the core of your racemeetings. At the moment there is nothing for these people to start Rallycross in Britain.
Stockhatch has a massive turnover and not a lot of drivers step-up to different classes, so it's obviously not attracting any longterm commitment from drivers. If there is going to be a new class I would not recommend another Stockhatch.

A point mentioned by chunder which I also agree with is that Rallycross must build on classes that are used in other motorsport disciplines. If you look at the succesful championships in Europe: French Div4 is equal to the popular rallycar class FA and also includes kit-cars just like in rally. Div3 is the T3F class from ice-racing and is also used in Autocross. In Belgium all the classes are build on Group A which is of course also a rallyclass. In the Nordic countries the supernational class is also used in rallies and hillclimbs. Even Euro Div1a is derived from Super1600/A6 rallycars.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2706981)   #30
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First off I think there must be not to many different classes, as this results in low entrylists, like Div 2 is at this moment. First off all the classes must not change to much, as did Div 2 in the past.

Supercars:
I still believe the 45 mm has to go, especially since they weigh so much. Why limit the supercars while super 1600 is hardly limited? What everybody is saying about 1,9 sec to 60 mph and comparing with F1. The cars still seem slow once they are on the move (50 mph on). Launch control should go to, bring back wheelspin and unequal starts. Limit the use of high-tech materials. Headsets should go to. For the rest keep it as it, no point in going back to spaceframes, this makes all cars worthless.

Super 1600:
Keep it as it is. You could buy a rallycar or build your own (like Snoeck did). Only ditch the launchcontrol and maybe sequential gearboxes.

Current Div 2:
Well this is the black sheep. Personally I think it is stupid to make an affordable class when you allow RWD modifications. Especially as FWD will be bigger due to European emissions. This means you need money or need to be very handy. I'd rather seen Super 2000 kitcars, like the old Xsara's, Clio's, 306's, Ibiza's, Golf's and Megane's.

European Championship:
To be honest maybe only Supercars and Super 1600 should be egible for the European Championship, no Div 2. And maybe other class structures should only be introduced for National clubman racing. Maybe there you should be allowed to drive whatever you can afford or build? This works for rallying too!
Old 8 Jun 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2706983)   #31
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
A point mentioned by chunder which I also agree with is that Rallycross must build on classes that are used in other motorsport disciplines. If you look at the succesful championships in Europe: French Div4 is equal to the popular rallycar class FA and also includes kit-cars just like in rally. Div3 is the T3F class from ice-racing and is also used in Autocross. In Belgium all the classes are build on Group A which is of course also a rallyclass. In the Nordic countries the supernational class is also used in rallies and hillclimbs. Even Euro Div1a is derived from Super1600/A6 rallycars.
The problem with that, is that every country has it's own regulations and exceptions.

Another point which could be a "problem" in the future is the current trend of downsizing and turbocharging of engines. Only Honda is fully commited to N/A, but Renault and BMW have partially turned into turbocharged engines. maybe we should consider a new type of Div 1a in the distant future: 1.2-1.4 turbocharged FWD cars...
Old 8 Jun 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2706988)   #32
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
The problem with that, is that every country has it's own regulations and exceptions.

Another point which could be a "problem" in the future is the current trend of downsizing and turbocharging of engines. Only Honda is fully commited to N/A, but Renault and BMW have partially turned into turbocharged engines. maybe we should consider a new type of Div 1a in the distant future: 1.2-1.4 turbocharged FWD cars...
We are talking about British Championship so it makes sense to go with that which is popular in Britain added with the European classes.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2706990)   #33
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
First off I think there must be not to many different classes, as this results in low entrylists, like Div 2 is at this moment. First off all the classes must not change to much, as did Div 2 in the past.

Supercars:

Super 1600:

Current Div 2:

European Championship:
I like your thinking! 1975DCS for president!
Old 8 Jun 2010, 23:49 (Ref:2707018)   #34
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The main thing I think everybody has to concentrate on here is finances. I know that people have been interviewed on the TV hailing the RX150's & Swifts as a budget entry level class with a 20k price tag, but to the majority of club level drivers that is totally unattainable. These classes are fine for guys with a large disposable income who want to have a go at motorsport, and hopefully once they have had a go a decent percentage will be hooked and stick around, not disappear after a season, but these sort of people are few and far between
The thing is, we need to encourage larger numbers than this into the sport, so a class like the Stockhatch's is vital for the people who have a budget of only a few thousand and little mechanical knowledge. There just needs to be a cap on the class so that one or two drivers don't spend megabucks and walk away with it. One radical way of doing this would be a rule that states the championship winning car must be put up for sale at the end of the season for a set price, say 4k.

The current class structure of Supercars, Supermods, a one make class and Stocks is fine, but I think a bit of selective marketing aiming the right class at the right competitor is needed. It's no good trying to push at 20k class at a driver who only has a 5k budget.

It's OK saying we want new classes but we have to think who will build the cars for these classes. In fact in the past on these very pages possible new classes have been suggested, organisers have provided places for these cars, and where are they?
As for adopting European classes, history shows that this has not worked in the UK, and I don't think that will change in the foreseeable future.

Championships? It doesn't really matter how many championships you have. There used to be loads, often with four or five championships being raced for at one meeting, currently the BTRDA & MDA championships are both being competed for in the same races. The important thing is not to have too many meetings. If a driver has a budget for say six meetings, then he can only do six meetings no matter how many are scheduled on the calendar. The more meetings there are in a year the thinner the entry, regardless of how many championships there are.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 07:40 (Ref:2707099)   #35
daz2202
Racer

England
Canterbury
daz2202 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=silver bullet;2707018] One radical way of doing this would be a rule that states the championship winning car must be put up for sale at the end of the season for a set price, say 4k.
QUOTE]

If anyone has £4k burning a whole in there pocket then you can have last years winning saxo

(Also got a 205 for sale too £1500)
Old 9 Jun 2010, 11:35 (Ref:2707196)   #36
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silver Bullet makes some very relevant points. As he suggests you don't necessarily need one championship just everybody working together, sharing events and venues and working to the same class structure.

If I had more time, money, mechanical knowledge and a place to store a car, I would love to have a go at rallycross. I certainly could not afford to start in RX150's or Swifts. There is very definitely a need for a budget class.

The need for people to be able to develop a car through the classes without spending a fortune is very relevant as well. There's a place for the more exotic machinery too.

The ROC tried to get 1A going and the fore runner to the current Div 2 but it just hasn't taken off. The Scandinavian's have proved that you don't need to run to Euro regs to have a thriving championship. I'd advocate five or six classes, ranging from Juniors through to Supercar. On the subject what's going on with the Juniors? Only two entries for Blyton! This needs to be the starting point for any over haul of the class structure and by the looks of it, it's the area that needs the most urgent attention.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2707249)   #37
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The juniors is another example of a class showing promise then going into serious decline,and this a class that was supported by all championships.

I know past form with erc classes in this country hasnt been great but i do believe if the BRC made a commitment to div 1a it could be a success. Interestingly modifieds seem to be on the up in the more budget orientated BTRDA championship where theres a good range of cars and bloody good racing, but in the BRC they are in serious decline. Forward planning is needed, no point saying right we are going to have a 1a class as well as supermods next year because you would probably get 2 cars but if they said supermods will be replaced by 1a from 2012 then maybe it would work. Whatever happens if anything ever does its about long term planning, making a commitment and sticking to it.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2707272)   #38
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
I think and hope it would possible to run 1A alongside a Super Mod/National catergory. The BRC entry for Blyton is better than I thought it would be for Super Mod, with Tapscott and Turpin also attending according to Rallycross Online. I'm slightly confused as to the cost of building/purchasing a 1A car. Recent ERC coverage (which I know is'nt the most reliable) were quoting 70k. Looking on Rallycross online and looking at some of the cars in the UK, they seem a bit cheaper. What's realistic, if Hal Ridge is reading this maybe he can shed some light as he's just built one. There's a place for the larger engined rear wheel drive stuff as well, it's where you pitch it and how you regulate it though either as the secondary class to Supercar or as a cheaper alternative to Supercar and 1A.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2707611)   #39
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
The juniors is another example of a class showing promise then going into serious decline,and this a class that was supported by all championships.
Juniors, stock hatch and modified all suffered from a similar malaise - a few people spending a lot of money driving up costs and disheartening the average clubman. Ok its their money and they have the right to spend it but it has a deleterious effect on the sport as a whole.

You have to start from regs that keep costs affordable. Yes I think we should look at 'folkrace' regs for rallycross clubman classes (junior/stock hatch) - at the last meeting the winning cars should be put on sale for a maximum price.

Perhaps the point needs to be made more forcefully that stockhatch is mainly a novices entry level class? How would people feel about excluding drivers from stockhatch after they've won a certain number of meetings or championships, thus requiring them to step up to modified/revivals etc the following season?
Old 9 Jun 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2707628)   #40
Gedwardes518
Rookie

Gedwardes518 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but the "folkrace" idea would not work.

A) People would not want to sell their cars after just a year of racing. The time, effort and money that would of been put into the cars (even if we are talking small amounts in the motorsport world) will see drivers walking away from the championship if something like that is put in place. No way would i sell my car after a year....

B) People wont bother putting the time, effort and money into their cars knowing that they will just have to sell them at the end of the year. This will lead to poorly present cars on the same par as banger racers cars, say good bye to any tv coverage then and attracting sponsors.

Haven't we been trying to push the sport forward for the last x amount of years, putting in force "folkrace" regs would be like stepping back to the stone age.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2707832)   #41
MESHGA
Racer

Dont like to nit pick mate but many banger racers spend more on 1 car for a race meeting than you mite think!
But thats besides the point !
We arent all million aires so a 200k + deal to drive a car from the best and i will say the nicest man in Rallycross isnt an option for 99.9 % of us so

1 lets get real
2 sort out some regs to get new people to race
3 get the racers who are out there who want to race but are out financed (to many to name) racing again by getting a good cost effective class based around s/h regs but newer than 205s

Rallycross has lost to many good racers to other motorsports isnt it time we stopped the rot and smelt the roses?
Old 9 Jun 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2707837)   #42
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJM View Post
I like your thinking! 1975DCS for president!
Well today the elections are being held (in Holland)...
Old 9 Jun 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2707839)   #43
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Supernationals are no way to go either (as a budget class), as these are in the same price league as Div 1a...
Stockhatch racing in Holland and Belgium in the late 80's, early 90's also proved not to work: a lot of illegal tuned cars making the class expensive in the end. And there was little money for a protest against this... Maybe really cheap racing is not possible, especially not if you want it to be representive enough for television coverage...
Old 10 Jun 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2708032)   #44
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris

Keep ur eyes out for the new MDA Class
Old 10 Jun 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2708183)   #45
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
New MDA Class!? Is this the BMW Mini class that was proposed a while back or something else we don't know about. Do we need anymore classes at the moment?

Trying to pull everyone's comments together, it would seem to point towards five or six classes. A junior class, a budget entry level class, some sort of resonable cost effective modified class, a 2 wheel drive class for people with a bit more to spend, supercar and possible a sixth class for either 1A, another cost effective modified class or stock 4WD.

In some respects it seems quite similar to the old BRC classes that used to be detailed on their old website, Supercar, Super Modified, Modified, Stock Hatch and Juniors!
Old 10 Jun 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2708218)   #46
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedwardes518 View Post
Sorry but the "folkrace" idea would not work.

Haven't we been trying to push the sport forward for the last x amount of years, putting in force "folkrace" regs would be like stepping back to the stone age.
I accept it wouldn't be for everyone. However it doesn't seem to have hurt the sport in Scandanavia where folkrace attracts huge numbers of drivers, many of whom then feed in to mainstream rallycross. Years ago in Britain we used to have autocross to feed into rallycross but that is now all but dead so we need something else.

You can still demand minimum standards of presentation for all cars in folkrace and, of course, set a maximum selling price that reflects the full costs of building and maintaining a car (plus a bit more). Its not there to stop people spending a reasonable amount - just to deter stupid money. It places the emphasis on the driver rather than on the car.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2708260)   #47
jimmynova
Rookie

England
Birmingham
jimmynova should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on bigted what's the news on the mda class i'm looking to start building a stockhatch for next year but if theres a new budget class coming out i'd like to know before i start!!!
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2708335)   #48
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Something on the MDA website about the New BMW Mini Rallycross Car being on show at Blyton Fun Day Sunday and Drakart Superlight Buggies doing some racing?
Old 10 Jun 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2708408)   #49
MESHGA
Racer

Could be a good alternative to the swifts
Old 10 Jun 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2708515)   #50
adamszx636
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ramsgate Kent
adamszx636 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi all just my 10 cents worth , a few things that i as a clubman rallycrosser ( currently not racing due to cost ) think dont make people stay racing are

1) entry cost for BTRDA stock hatch is the same give or take as that of an MSA Supercar entry ?? The guys running supercars obviously have a large amount of money more than the average stockhatch driver and also most have various sponsors helping out in different ways??? Can there not be a graded pricing to encourage new people to get in to rallycross and to continue in the sport ?? I.E S/Hatch £75, Supermod £125 and supercar £175 or simiular??

2) Stock cars should be stock cars?? ok with safety/protection/and suspension mods , but no engine mods be it "chips/remaps, induction kits or any other mod from factory standard, this would i think help get newer cars into the class as handling and power etc generally gets better the newer the car is.

3) Cap BHP , if your car is rolling roaded and is over the agreed limit, its illegal simple, stops people spending money on things to get more and more power, after all its a "stock class"

4) The reason i believe that there are so many 205 still in stock hatch are that they on paper produce more BHP than any other 8v hatch and can run at a lighter weight in accordance with BRDA regs, which state that the Saxo/106 must be no less than 910kg but the 205 can be 895kg, so with the weight difference coupled with the BHP of a post '87 205 GTI of 115bhp compared to the saxo vtr's 100BHP ??!?!?!?!??! so this give no incentive to bring in newer cars.

just a few ideas for people to ponder over :-)