Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Jul 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3434206)   #1
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Beany should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lap of Brands Hatch GP in a Historic Touring Car

And it was ONLY one lap as the alternator belt departed taking the dipstick with it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJO0...ature=youtu.be
Old 15 Jul 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3434212)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as you said it would! Time to have the head off that smokey Jag I think......
Old 15 Jul 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3434216)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Never mind looked like a lot of fun for a while. I'm sure you were one of the crowds favorate cars. Mrs Delta came Sunday and she loved the saloon car race.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3434218)   #4
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Just as you said it would! Time to have the head off that smokey Jag I think......
I'm glad I wasn't the only one creeping off the startline

I did notice your smokey twin pipes into Druids....not as much smoke as I made 2 minutes later though.

If I had a pound for every person that said "Have you go a Porsche engine in that?....and typically I'm installing in a Porsche 911 cooling fan before Croft so the cash is gonna be rolling in!!
Old 15 Jul 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3434220)   #5
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Never mind looked like a lot of fun for a while. I'm sure you were one of the crowds favorate cars. Mrs Delta came Sunday and she loved the saloon car race.
Had a great time in the wet on Friday testing. Chronic understeer at Druids and Clearways so we disconnected the front anti roll bar and the car was transformed.

Handled better in the dry too so we've thrown the front anti-roll bar in the bin. My wet setup is now also my dry setup....Go figure
Old 16 Jul 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3434476)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
one of the best looking tin tops there. first time I've seen it since we were at Oulton Park, I think that was 2009 or 2010!!!
Old 16 Jul 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3434490)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
With little weight at the front of the Beetle and stiffer than stock springs and shocks no doubt and weight taken out I'm not surprised it doesn't need a front A/R bar. I bet it was lifting a wheel and three wheeling through most bends before in typical Porsche style, maybe an A/R bar on the back may help.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3434668)   #8
Beany
Rookie

England
Aldershot, Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
With little weight at the front of the Beetle and stiffer than stock springs and shocks no doubt and weight taken out I'm not surprised it doesn't need a front A/R bar. I bet it was lifting a wheel and three wheeling through most bends before in typical Porsche style, maybe an A/R bar on the back may help.
Yep...the front felt close to lifting. Front/rear bias is rubbish at 39%/61%, springs are standard all round and because it has swing axle rear suspension you can't really use a rear anti-roll bar...instead it uses a Z-bar which is designed to INCREASE body roll. Sounds weird I know, but thats how you get a Beetle to handle.