Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jun 2019, 18:12 (Ref:3908661)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
All I can say at the moment is YIPPEE!
Old 8 Jun 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3908662)   #52
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Old 8 Jun 2019, 19:01 (Ref:3908664)   #53
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
And how was scrutineering if I may ask?
Old 8 Jun 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3908666)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
356s and MGBs ignition checked......
Old 8 Jun 2019, 20:27 (Ref:3908674)   #55
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Good day for Elva
Grumpy got it up to fourth annoying the Cobras and then the super fit Yorkshire man bought it home to win class by a lap and eleventh overall.

The next outing is the fleet of Talbots and Alta in Pre War at Silverstone with the 356 and Elite in TT at Silverstone

Elva put away until Monza or Spa 6 hours.

Next year Le Mans Classic .
Old 9 Jun 2019, 04:48 (Ref:3908711)   #56
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Good day for Elva
Grumpy got it up to fourth annoying the Cobras and then the super fit Yorkshire man bought it home to win class by a lap and eleventh overall.
Can’t tell you how good it was to see Michael get out of the car in parc ferme with a huge grin on his face, John! Great result for the car and the team.

Old 9 Jun 2019, 05:24 (Ref:3908717)   #57
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Mike . You need some praise as well . Class P2 and P 22 overall . Sorry I did not get along to get in the way . We were still prepping cars . 👍
Old 9 Jun 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3908719)   #58
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What an organisation you have here! You go through the forum to say hello when your tents are door to door. Snobby!
Old 9 Jun 2019, 06:23 (Ref:3908722)   #59
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The idea is Have Richard Bradley in Alta at Silverstone.
He was so close in FJ yesterday
Good bloke and one of Deltas army
Old 9 Jun 2019, 07:04 (Ref:3908730)   #60
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The idea is Have Richard Bradley in Alta at Silverstone.
He was so close in FJ yesterday
Good bloke and one of Deltas army
Yep I can’t tell you what pleasure we have running him . As I have said over on T break the only down side is he supports Arsenal . He is looking forward to that drive at the Classic John .
Old 9 Jun 2019, 07:09 (Ref:3908734)   #61
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CER 1 race.917 and 512 running together,1st and 2nd.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3908755)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Not quite so close together at end, but good to watch in early race! The B19 finished P3 in class and P5 o/a, so another podium for the team this morning!

For you, Will.....
Attached Thumbnails
615E3172-37E8-4287-8A0C-BFB41EA212A0.jpeg  
Old 9 Jun 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3908765)   #63
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Newish 2.0 L Cup seems to have been a very good addition
Cracking race it looked like at the front.

512 or 917? I could never decide.

Sound 512.

Looks 917.

Lovely pic Mike.2 Wins for that car now.Doesn't the owner also have a Martini one.One is Road legal I think 😍.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 12:59 (Ref:3908781)   #64
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks for the pics, Mike. Impressive max speeds, 275/ 274 for the Ferrari and Porsche. Really fast. 250 kph for the best Batmobile is not slow… Congratulations to all involved in your team and… the other one, of course!!!
Old 9 Jun 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3908820)   #65
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, a quick resume of our 60s Endurance race, as it’s raining at the circuit now and I’m hiding from it.

Gareth started the Elva and fought his way up to 4th overall at one point, which was impressive, to say the least. Michael took over at half way and ‘nurtured’ the car home for 11th, winning class GT2 by nearly 2 laps from the Brit 26R of Alex Montgomery and Nick Sleep. The favoured Elans either broke or fell off, which is not unusual..... 5th in class and 30th o/a in the numerically big GT2 field were the Stephens family and their familiar 356, ahead of many 911s, all the MGBs and other supposedly faster cars. Excellent result as usual.

The two SLRs got good starts, but with the shiny one from several places higher on the grid. Both were started by the owners. The red car started to misfire at high revs on the straight after 30 minutes or so (usually pulling 7k by braking point), but the lap times were only a little slower, so Simon pressed on. John’s car was climbing up the order, got ahead of the Healeys and looked good for GT3 honours. One SC period during the first hour. Both cars then swapped to second drivers, Bill taking over the shiny one and me the red car. Almost immediately there was another short SC period, but I could already feel the misfire problem. For most of the lap it wasn’t a hindrance, but on the straight it was costing a couple of seconds. During the SC period the shiny car suddenly stopped on the side of the track. Bill refused ‘assistance’ and after a few minutes found the problem to be the low tension wire into the dizzy. He managed a ‘bodge’ repair and rejoined, but quite a lot down. From then on it was flat out to the end, apart from one more SC to recover a beached car. By now the red car was P2 in class, and able to slowly draw away from the Healey behind. Then, with less than 10 minutes to go, the class leading Healey spun at the end of the main straight, only rejoining the track after I was past. Talk about all your christmas’s coming at once!

So that’s why it all looked a bit confused on live timing, Gerard! We assumed that the under 2.5 litre championship podium would be Elva, 26R and red SLR, but the goal posts seemed to have moved again, and the GT160 was not included in the category. So 26R, SLR and first 911 home instead. The shiny Morgan still finished 29th o/a and 5th in the Under 2.5s, so some valuable championship points gained. With main opposition not entered or finishing much lower down the order, not the disaster it could have been.....

Next stop, Hungary!
Old 10 Jun 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3909003)   #66
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Phew Mike, this is a race report. As you understood live timing was almost impossible to understand specially when your red SLR took the lead. I didnt know about your driver's mechanic skills, gosh he's a godd spanering partner too.
I guess your misfire troubles came from the dizzy as well or is it more serious? I wont comment about the Elva category input. What a fast car.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3909025)   #67
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Comments on Elva would be welcome!
Should be quick car.
Built for 65 Le Mans
Only two BMW cars built with other one owned on West Coast of US.
Chris Amon used it later as his road car!!
Old 10 Jun 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3909044)   #68
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sorry John, I've not been clear here. Yes its a rare car, wonderful and really fast no doubt about that. I was trying to tell Mike that I won't comment the fact that the category input can change during the same season for a given car. This I won't comment because its up to any organisation.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3909061)   #69
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Sorry John, I've not been clear here. Yes its a rare car, wonderful and really fast no doubt about that. I was trying to tell Mike that I won't comment the fact that the category input can change during the same season for a given car. This I won't comment because its up to any organisation.
Not understanding but I am very old!
What is the category input?
Class?
Peter Auto decide that?
Old 10 Jun 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3909088)   #70
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I'm very very old, no worry. From Mike's sentences:
We assumed that the under 2.5 litre championship podium would be Elva, 26R and red SLR, but the goal posts seemed to have moved again, and the GT160 was not included in the category. So 26R, SLR and first 911 home instead.
Yes, Peter Auto or any organisation can decide this I guess. They introduced that a copy/continuation/recreation could have a kind of rating vs authentic cars in a near future. Good thing imo. May be its my understanding which is not good, Mike will confirm I hope.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3909102)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes, Peter Auto or any organisation can decide this I guess. They introduced that a copy/continuation/recreation could have a kind of rating vs authentic cars in a near future. Good thing imo. May be its my understanding which is not good, Mike will confirm I hope.
The ‘moving goalposts’ we’ve often experienced in the Under 2.5 litre results revolve around whether a car’s HTP declares it as a GTS or GTP. In previous seasons the Porsche 904 would bounce in or out of the category, and we were told that at least one car had papers as a GTS car, but others didn’t. We also at one time had Lotus XVs included, then not. I’ve no idea what Michael’s Elva is classed as on its papers, but if it’s GTS then I would have thought it should be included. But as we’ve repeatedly said, PA Make the rules.....

Regarding the red car’s misfire, Gerard, my first guess is the Rev limiter. It’s one of those small boxes that seem to have a reputation for unreliability! After that, it’s replace Master Switch and Ignition Switch. I’m not a fan of the latter on race cars, but the owner likes it!
Old 10 Jun 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3909112)   #72
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If you're talking about a brand starting with an O and ending with an X, I had issues too with the basic version. Misfires then later a brand new rev counter kaput!
Old 10 Jun 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3909154)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
If you're talking about a brand starting with an O and ending with an X, I had issues too with the basic version. Misfires then later a brand new rev counter kaput!
I think the make may begin with an A and end with H, but looks the same. Same thing happened when the car raced at Silverstone last month (while I was at Spa), fine for 30 mins or so then high speed misfire starts. Suggests to me electronics starting to fail.....
Old 10 Jun 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3909215)   #74
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yep, looking on some forums leads you to this kind of conclusion. I presume you have a narrow choice, either no limiter, or an MSD box or this kind of gizmo. Do you remember the old style Bosch rotor arms? At first glance no very much encouraging but experience showed those to be convenient and reliable. In one word, simple.