Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 7 Sep 2001, 16:30 (Ref:143185)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 power steering, mechanical vs electronic

Just read a report of BAR testing a new mechanical power steering unit as next year "electronic"power steering will be banned.

Anyone out there have a more or less laymans term explaination of the two, and specifically, how the electronic one works and also why it is being banned. (I realize the last part is probably hoping for too much, who can explain sometimes FIA tech descisions.)

thanks,
Old 7 Sep 2001, 17:36 (Ref:143227)   #2
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a mix of real knowlege & half arsed guess(like everything i post in this forum?)!I'm pretty sure the main reason is to make sure they can't add a four wheel steering function(which is not permited).A mechanical system has only hydraulic hoses running into it so there's no chance of a computor being conected to the steering.
Old 10 Sep 2001, 11:38 (Ref:144354)   #3
wuzak
Rookie

wuzak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RWC, I don't think that the banning of electronic power steering is anything to do with 4 wheel steer, as this has been banned for many years.

The real reason, I suspect, is that electronic power steering has the potential to be programmed to give different steering rates and loadings at the touch of a button.

The logical extension then would be use a computer to control the transition from one steering program to another (as the car knows where it is on the track).

As only two teams currently use electronic power steering, Ferrari and BAR, it is probably not a major issue to ban it.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 10:29 (Ref:145965)   #4
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read that news issue on a site too and I don't think it's only BAR and Ferrari using electronic powersteering as reports from the past two\three years have indicated that there's hardly any team that doesn't use it. Even Arrows use it from the beginning of this season so that leaves only Minardi to be a doubtful powerless competitor.

The thing abiut the switch to mechaniccal systems is that the regulations have changed this season, only implementation has been scattered over different start data.

The idea behind the new regulations is to liberate electronics in the driveline area (engine, clutch, gearbox, diff and their controls) and to ban electronics in all other areas (suspension, steering, braking and their controls).

The ban on electronics involved in braking already dates from 1998 and was extended more stringent at the start of the current season; the ban on suspension electronics is active from the start of this season; the liberation of the driveline electronics started off from the Spanish GP this season ... and finally the ban on electronic steering will be in force from the start of the 2002 season. That's why they're developing mechanical solutions.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 18:22 (Ref:146162)   #5
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thanks all for the responses, will perhaps come back to the discussion another time. djb
Old 16 Sep 2001, 13:39 (Ref:146930)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um...next time i say something so dumb,everyone feel free to tell me how stupid i am!!! ......4 wheel steering indeed.I did have something bright & insightfull to say about it but must have lost the plot at 2:15am-can't think what it was now
Old 17 Sep 2001, 22:23 (Ref:147648)   #7
twin 40's
Rookie

twin 40's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
supposition here but...

surely the teams will be able (1 to 2 years) create a form of four wheel steering by programming the traction control to react to lateral g forces.

So if the car was to turn right then power is taken from a rear wheel to effectively drag the car round in the desired manner. This would therefore mean less steered angle and in theory higher cornering speeds.

As someone else put it - half arsed guessing but it sounds kind of feasible to me.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 08:21 (Ref:147762)   #8
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By using the electronics of steering and diff in an interactive way a similar effect to four wheel steering is very well possible.

And when something of a performance enhancement in F1 is even remotely possible you bet it is in use.
Old 20 Sep 2001, 12:26 (Ref:148658)   #9
wuzak
Rookie

wuzak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember McLaren using a system, dubbed "fiddle" braking, in which the inside rear wheel had more braking bias than the outside wheel, thereby increasing the steering effect. Don't know how it was activated. It was banned a few races into the season after Ferrari protested. Interestingly, Ferrari had such a system banned by the FIA prior to the season - perhaps its operation was a bit too clever.

Also, I thought that there was a proviso in the regulations that required the diffs to mimic the action of a purely mechanical diff. Does anyone know if this is true?