Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Jul 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3919484)   #251
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Yep not a bad first day, I think this is the busiest Ive seen the classic on a Friday, not just spectators but the car clubs fairly full as well.

Standing watching, you can see how hard everyone trying in all the sessions, great to see those cars getting used as they should be.

Just one question tho, were was the Bentley being kept as I couldn't see it in the main wing garages?
Its in the International Paddock.Go along behind the garages If you see a Moto Historics truck its behind there.
Old 26 Jul 2019, 20:34 (Ref:3919485)   #252
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Attached Thumbnails
20190726_092409.jpg  
Old 26 Jul 2019, 20:41 (Ref:3919486)   #253
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little Day 1 Report/Summary.

F3-Great grid.Interesting mix of UK and French drivers.Be early so hope to srart good.

50's-What a mix of cars.One of the best grids.Everything from a Lotus Elven to a Lister Jaguar to a Cadillac Le Monstre.Definetpy prefer combined grids.

Thundersports-Great to see the Lola T310.Rare car and went very well.M8F is all fixed so should be interesting to see how it goes in the wet.

Pre 63 GT-Really competitive.However seeing what is a Pre 66 Jag in a Pre 63 is not great.The Pole car the Tojeiro sounds great.Gonna be a good one.Shame not to see the Hadfield DB4 GT.The breadvan is just stunning

Pre War-What a varied grid.Morgan Three Wheels to near lookalike GP Cars.Lovely.

F2-Most competitive grid by miles I think.Top 10 all sensational drivers.Remember a time when F2 struggled to get 20.

F1-Nice grid.Real quality on show.Great to see the Mclaren on Pole.

Pre 66 GT- Bit of an interrupted session but very high in Quality.Loved the cobras.

HGPCA-The noise of that Ferrari.No words to describe.,and the looks aswell.

Enduro Legends-Bit of a incosistent.Troubles for the Dallara,Gulf Aston and some of the GTs.What a driver Aaron Scott is.14th with a GT3 458.Doubt the Bentley will race if wet like Barcelona.

Sportscar-The T33 was fantastic.Big grid.Lots of V8s.All it needed was a 512 or 917.
Where have all the GTs gone.1 Porsche.

Touring ans Mini-Carnage will follow.One driver get very annoyed with another.In response nearly rammed him of the road.

Anyway this has become far to long.Hope all enjoyed the day (and the BBQ) and will enjoy tomorrow.Weather gods answer my prays.
Old 26 Jul 2019, 20:42 (Ref:3919487)   #254
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Well that GT Quali wasnt the best tbh.
Go back a page or two and Simon H commented about the (too) short 27 minute qualifying sessions. So here we have a perfect example of what can happen....

Despite a lecture in our Drivers briefing about having the tighter ‘modern’ Vale to negotiate, an MGB goes straight into the gravel on the first lap. So the Safety Car is deployed, and the first drivers do their 3 laps at mostly reduced pace. Second driver gets in, and on his first flying lap the session is red flagged. After a few minutes, Race Control decide not to restart the session, so a lot of second drivers only complete a couple of laps. Nothing has been said, but I presume the fact that they haven’t done the minimum will be overlooked, and that they will be allowed to start the race......

Anyway, still no proper rain! Think positive for the weekend....
Old 26 Jul 2019, 22:30 (Ref:3919498)   #255
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
After a few minutes, Race Control decide not to restart the session, so a lot of second drivers only complete a couple of laps. Nothing has been said, but I presume the fact that they haven’t done the minimum will be overlooked, and that they will be allowed to start the race......

Easy. Second driver goes first, does a green flag lap (two if it's raining?) that should give them at least 3 qualifying laps and all regulation boxes ticked.
Then a start lap, one flying lap, 3 under the safety car and in for a driver change so the second driver (really the first driver) can have the pleasure of taking the red flag. (Or the chequered if that comes out sooner.)

Should be a treat for the first drivers who never do the second stint.

Excellent value for the entry fee, surely.

Meanwhile, can anyone offer enlightenment about the 5 CF3 cars disqualified from qualifying?
Old 27 Jul 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3919531)   #256
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one for anyone interested, here's my vid from Fridays action showing the range of cars that running this weekend.

https://youtu.be/ZzcUMjwI0hI
Old 27 Jul 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3919541)   #257
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Easy. Second driver goes first, does a green flag lap (two if it's raining?) that should give them at least 3 qualifying laps and all regulation boxes ticked.
Then a start lap, one flying lap, 3 under the safety car and in for a driver change so the second driver (really the first driver) can have the pleasure of taking the red flag. (Or the chequered if that comes out sooner.)

Should be a treat for the first drivers who never do the second stint.

Excellent value for the entry fee, surely.

Meanwhile, can anyone offer enlightenment about the 5 CF3 cars disqualified from qualifying?
You’ve completely lost me there, Grant.

And no idea what the dsqs ere about in CF3. EDIT- c3.3- Cars found to be inilegible after practice, but subsequently approved for the race, will have all practice times disallowed....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 27 Jul 2019 at 08:37.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3919544)   #258
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It may have been track limits looking at geordieracing's video.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 10:44 (Ref:3919556)   #259
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You’ve completely lost me there, Grant.

That was the plan. Completely non-understandable on-the-fly revision of regulations for the benefit of all.

Quote:
And no idea what the dsqs ere about in CF3. EDIT- c3.3- Cars found to be inilegible after practice, but subsequently approved for the race, will have all practice times disallowed....
Thanks for that, Mike.

So the question then is why the relatively large ineligibility group for UK CF3 class runners post scrutineering and qualifying? It seems a little unusual.

(Dare one say also 'pointless'?)
Old 27 Jul 2019, 11:32 (Ref:3919560)   #260
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It may have been track limits looking at geordieracing's video.
You might think so Peter but none of those seemed to get any penalty - indeed no one did for track limits in the qualifying session.

The pair that took the widest line shown in the video qualified 2nd and 5th.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3919562)   #261
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Thanks for that, Mike.

So the question then is why the relatively large ineligibility group for UK CF3 class runners post scrutineering and qualifying? It seems a little unusual.

(Dare one say also 'pointless'?)
Maybe race is being run to different / Euro regs....?
Old 27 Jul 2019, 12:38 (Ref:3919567)   #262
Willmaz223
Veteran

Hope the rain clears soon Some good racing though.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 12:57 (Ref:3919568)   #263
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just checked the qualifying sheet and Mike is just ahead and Iain is just behind me. Hope it's a dry race, we could have some fun.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 15:25 (Ref:3919604)   #264
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just checked the qualifying sheet and Mike is just ahead and Iain is just behind me. Hope it's a dry race, we could have some fun.
Daft when your fastest lap in qualifying is lap1 when you are warming car, bedding new pads and scrubbing new tyres! A complete mess, and interesting that a considerable amount of cars only managed 5 laps or less.......

But, as you say, all to play for tomorrow!
Old 27 Jul 2019, 16:10 (Ref:3919617)   #265
Willmaz223
Veteran

Probably the most bizarre race end I've ever seen tbh.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 17:37 (Ref:3919654)   #266
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What was,? You can't just say that and not explain

Plenty of sun at Clay Pigeon today. Think I've got burned :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jul 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3919665)   #267
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent pre war race.
There have been plenty of decent races today despite the poor weather. Spent most of the morning standing in the rain as spray is your friend Looking forward to the last two race's this evening and we are due some dry running now surely.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3919671)   #268
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
What was,? You can't just say that and not explain

Craig Davies in his Mustang clipped Jakes Hills Mustang.Result was Craig Davies let Hill past again and didnt want to overtake again.Then on the last lap Hills styre caused by broken bodywork against the tyre made the tyre blow.Davies again and very good to see didnt pass.A double yellow at the final corner and Davies and Hill slowing meant Wolfe in third place caught them but didnt know to overtake due to yellows.Result was three went across line together.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 18:11 (Ref:3919679)   #269
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Daft when your fastest lap in qualifying is lap1 when you are warming car, bedding new pads and scrubbing new tyres! A complete mess, and interesting that a considerable amount of cars only managed 5 laps or less.......

But, as you say, all to play for tomorrow!
Well mine was my 5th lap and I was going a second a lap quicker each time. Not having a lot of time in the car always creates a problem for me. But if I can keep improving we could have a play together tomorrow.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3919688)   #270
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CF3 post practice penalties was for cars not running silencers. As clearly demanded in the final instructions. I'm told some competitors still argued......😂
I did suggest that six laps was not a given, and yet every briefing had a note on the screen about the necessity of each competitor doing the mandated three laps.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3919692)   #271
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
CF3 post practice penalties was for cars not running silencers. As clearly demanded in the final instructions. I'm told some competitors still argued......��
I did suggest that six laps was not a given, and yet every briefing had a note on the screen about the necessity of each competitor doing the mandated three laps.
Thanks Simon.

It seems odd that 5 competitors succumbed to the rule when they would all have some previous experience of UK CF3 with silencers AND could have had the point made to them by someone before they went out for qualifying.

There again, it's not like the start position on the grid is especially important for the purpose of the race. So perhaps they did not really mind about the grid penalties that resulted.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 19:02 (Ref:3919693)   #272
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
CF3 post practice penalties was for cars not running silencers. As clearly demanded in the final instructions. I'm told some competitors still argued......😂
Indeed it was made clear that three laps were required.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3919700)   #273
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Exactly the same @ the Mansell Raceway (previously Dunkeswell),my first visit and I'm impressed.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3919705)   #274
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah you are there are you? Yes they've spent a lot of money this year.

MiniMM is coming to Silverstone tomorrow, if you see him hand him a towel

Old 27 Jul 2019, 19:40 (Ref:3919714)   #275
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=midgetman;3919705]Ah you are there are you? Yes they've spent a lot of money this year.

Yes I'm the MUK Steward, all looks bright & shiny the Clubhouse is similar to GYG or Whilton Mill, very impressive especially as they've got Sky F1 on screens everywhere so from 2pm tomorrow I shall put up the do not disturb signs(some chance) - it's the Rotax O Plate.