Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Feb 2019, 10:57 (Ref:3884776)   #1801
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fair comment Mike. At least they go round in circles and turn both left and right. I just dont like the Nintendo type activation zones and attack modes. Oh and I share your thoughts on 'fan boost'

As Gérard might say 'chacun * son goût'
Old 17 Feb 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3884778)   #1802
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Fair comment Mike. At least they go round in circles and turn both left and right. I just dont like the Nintendo type activation zones and attack modes. Oh and I share your thoughts on 'fan boost'

If it’s attracting a younger audience to watch motor racing, then it has to be a good thing. You never know, they may start taking an interest in old farts racing as well!
Old 17 Feb 2019, 11:26 (Ref:3884780)   #1803
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Et comme on dit dans notre sud, avé l'assent…*
Old 17 Feb 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3884787)   #1804
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I don't know why it is but I cannot get interested in FE at all despite having a keen interest in just about all forms/disciplines of motorsport over the years possibly with the exception of drag racing. 2 or 3 years colleagues who have been motor racing pals for years seem to find it exciting to watch but I find it leaves stone cold dumb, whether it's the lack of sound from an internal combustion engine, the ridiculous looking bodywork appendages(to me at least) or the gimmickry nature of the format I'm unsure but in any event I find it plain dull. I detest having anything rammed down my throat and much as I can understand the necessity for a switch from fossil fuels, it just seems to me that we are being dragged kicking and screaming into an era of electric boredom in motor racing. Thankfully, FF1600 is still strong along with the many other classic and historic racing formats.
I agree,electric racing is boredom beyond belief,in the next 20 years all the main sports will be mostly electric or going towards it.

Why?

You have only got to look at the environment and the state of the living world.I agree that Motor Sport as a results of what it is does affect the environment but I also see that M'Sport is getting targeted in a way that stuff on the road isn't.I might well be wrong so please feel free to correct if I might be.Thats why historics is so good as its the last ground of motorsport barring some exceptions that still has true great motorsport in it and is not dictated by ever changing rules.

Another point anyone else watch the 2hr Williams documentary.Bludy brilliant and really was an eye opener for me anyway .

Also someone on the Big Question just proclaimed his support for Reading FC.I dont supposed we k ow anyone else who supports them...😁😁.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3884789)   #1805
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If it’s attracting a younger audience to watch motor racing, then it has to be a good thing. You never know, they may start taking an interest in old farts racing as well!
For me it holds no interest,I wont go into why as they have already been explained on this forum.

My dad often goes how the only he hates about historic is that generally is for people with a large amount of money and time that means they can do it.There are obviously certain areas of historics such as the HRDC,HSCC roadsports etc.I look at historics last year for example HSCC clubbies and the grid sizes were quite poor for example at Cadwell and Snetterton.Me personally would drive anythinv offered but the money side is just ridiculous which is why certain modern clubs such as 750 mc are very popular.Also when I look at podiums of historics and pictures then I'd say at least 75 to 80% of driver are above 40 which I dont have a problem with to a certain extent as Im there for the cars but it does make me wonder wgat the future for historics is when I see it.I hope I haven't annoyed people from sharing my point of view and what i think of the current state.

Looking back this has swayed a bit fron the original quote but I'd like to think it has contributed a bit
Old 17 Feb 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3884800)   #1806
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You never know, they may start taking an interest in old farts racing as well!
My bet would be only if it is not noisy and takes place in City centres - or at least City environments.

You're more likely to see electric bicycle racing becoming a sport.

IMO.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3884810)   #1807
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As I said, Marmite! If anyone doesn’t like FE, then fine. Just don’t watch it......

If the figures don’t add up, eventually it will die, or at least coverage will.....
Old 17 Feb 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3884812)   #1808
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Willmaz223;3884787]I agree,electric racing is boredom beyond belief,in the next 20 years all the main sports will be mostly electric or going towards it.

I don't like the look of the single seater with its side pods etc, but I do like the electric Jaguars, I saw them testing @ Rockingham last year (from the trackside) and was very impressed, so much so I'd happily jump in one.
The acceleration was particularly awesome.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 16:17 (Ref:3884820)   #1809
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've just (re) watched the Williams documentary that was mentioned on here a few days ago, having recorded it from TV last night.
I have to say that I found it a fascinating and disarmingly honest(I was going to say frankly honest but that sounded cheap!) from all of the contributors. I was impressed the first time I saw it but that was late at night after (possibly) a few glasses of wine, this afternoon, stone cold sober I appreciated it so much more.
I'd strongly suggest to anyone who hasn't seen the film, to get it on catch up when you have a spare 1¾ hour's, it is fascinating.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 16:25 (Ref:3884822)   #1810
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks! I’ll be watching it later.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3884825)   #1811
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
As I said, Marmite! If anyone doesn’t like FE, then fine. Just don’t watch it......

If the figures don’t add up, eventually it will die, or at least coverage will.....
It won't die for 10, maybe 20 years.

The manufacturers will use it (whatever it develops into) to pitch for the mandated electric car market.

There may be a BTCC/WTCC equivalent at some point - perhaps based on SUVs

Once the manufacturers realise that there is no personal market left at which to pitch sales things may change.

To What?

No idea. But I could envisage some sort of Pro Sim Racing league.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3884836)   #1812
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>There may be a BTCC/WTCC equivalent at some point - perhaps based on SUVs

You mean like the Jaguar I Pace event on the undercard? They've beaten you to it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Feb 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3884840)   #1813
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There is also the ‘Electric GT’ series using highly modified Tesla Model S cars- but that hasn’t gotten off the ground yet. Think it may ‘die’ before it even starts.....

WRC will be going hybrid, I believe, and WRX going electric. Ice Racing is already the latter. I would think it a matter of course that BTCC will feature a hybrid PU of some sort before long.

But in 20 years time fuel cell technology may have rendered batteries unnecessary, so it could all change again....
Old 17 Feb 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3884845)   #1814
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You're right, electric ice racing started in 2007, was Trophée Andros.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3884846)   #1815
Willmaz223
Veteran

Anyone going to Race Retro this year?
Old 17 Feb 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3884850)   #1816
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's local but undecided @ the moment, we've got a car track day on Friday and I'm involved in Marshals Training on Sunday.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 17 Feb 2019 at 19:03.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3884853)   #1817
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Nope, not me.

Delta mentions having penne to eat on the NZ thread, which reminded me of the funniest Eddie Izzard sketch ever.... (IMHO)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw

Apologies for the multiple F words.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3884857)   #1818
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>>>There may be a BTCC/WTCC equivalent at some point - perhaps based on SUVs

You mean like the Jaguar I Pace event on the undercard? They've beaten you to it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
True for this particular promotion and it may well end up that all manufacturers will pitch SUVs since many seem to be focusing on that vehicle type with, for example, Ford saying they will be dropping cars from their range.

So BTCC/WTCC may end up with no alternatives since any manufacturer support that may be necessary to convert a one make promotional gig into a full race competition with some genuine variety may need to be based on SUVs or very similar.

I note that they are running the iPace thing as a Pro-Am split and had 11 cars at the first appearance and now 12 at the second. Presumably the rest are spares at the moment since a 20 car grid is anticipated. I have seen the results in the associated report of the race but no race stats found so far.

What sort of distance can they manage at race speeds?
Old 17 Feb 2019, 19:15 (Ref:3884860)   #1819
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You English when you have hard feelings, it lasts for decades. If not centuries. Dont expect for any congratulations for what you did today in Paris. During more than three hours at least one third of the area was totally blocked because you dropped a bomb. I dont talk about any potential girlfriend here…
May I suggest to your elder that in '44 your non rusting steel made products were weapons only! Next time send MG's, Jags or Rovers it will be nicer to discover this kind of reliques. Today, Messieurs les Anglais, avec votre bombe * retardement, vous nous avez foutu un sacré bordel!
Mind you that in this "bordel" matter we have no lesson to take from anyone on this f-planet, we're the best!!!
Old 17 Feb 2019, 19:18 (Ref:3884862)   #1820
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Et ça, c'est quoi, hein ?
http://en.rfi.fr/france/20190217-par...ass-evacuation
Old 17 Feb 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3884868)   #1821
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Nope, not me.

Delta mentions having penne to eat on the NZ thread, which reminded me of the funniest Eddie Izzard sketch ever.... (IMHO)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw

Apologies for the multiple F words.
Never seen that before.... made me chuckle at 7am on a Monday morning.
"This tray is wet. Did you dry it in a rain forest."
Old 17 Feb 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3884873)   #1822
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
There is also the ‘Electric GT’ series using highly modified Tesla Model S cars- but that hasn’t gotten off the ground yet. Think it may ‘die’ before it even starts.....

WRC will be going hybrid, I believe, and WRX going electric. Ice Racing is already the latter. I would think it a matter of course that BTCC will feature a hybrid PU of some sort before long.

But in 20 years time fuel cell technology may have rendered batteries unnecessary, so it could all change again....
Of course in 20 years time today's electric race cars will be close to Historic racing. No doubt we (or our descendants) will be arguing about batteries or magnets of new fangled materials not being of the era.

Just in passing I watched the weekend Milkfloat race in Mexico, and have to say I enjoyed it. Nice to see them racing for once on a circuit not designed by M.Mouse, one that is wide enough to safely run two abreast. Well, unless your name is Nelson Piquet Jnr.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3884874)   #1823
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
After you’ve watched it a few times, (and I bet you do ) you’ll find yourself saying it in a cafeteria! Plus ‘you’ll need a tray’, and many other quotes....

It is completely in tune with my sense of humour, anyway......
Old 17 Feb 2019, 20:08 (Ref:3884877)   #1824
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
After you’ve watched it a few times, (and I bet you do ) you’ll find yourself saying it in a cafeteria! Plus ‘you’ll need a tray’, and many other quotes....

It is completely in tune with my sense of humour, anyway......
Lol, just read this and must confess to having already watched it twice. Definitely in tune with my SOH also.
Old 18 Feb 2019, 06:21 (Ref:3884945)   #1825
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Google Lego “cake or death” as well. It’s pretty good also, but has religious content, so not for any easily offended!