Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

View Poll Results: Which cars max 3.5litres
Sportscars 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Sportscars Up to 1985 0 0%
GT 1968 - 1985 0 0%
GT Up to 1985 0 0%
Saloons 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Saloons Up to 1985 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Jun 2009, 14:47 (Ref:2488363)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Peter, I agree with all your comments.
I agree with you.

Quote:
I'm just putting alternative views that have been expressed to me in the public domain to get the maximum comment going, and to cover all the angles. Personally, I would prefer an "alternative 6 hour" event, too.
Fair enough, but the ideas expressed so far have really been in favour of a six hour rather than a relay. BTW, some cars could cope with just one refill anyway.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2488366)   #52
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just need a club to get on and organise it then! LOL. And I'd still prefer Anglesey.
Old 22 Jun 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2488382)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As long as there's a decent pub/hotel/restaurant nearby for "afters" I don't really care where it is!
Old 22 Jun 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2488416)   #54
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So we're holding it at Spa then?
Old 22 Jun 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2488419)   #55
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Just need a club to get on and organise it then! LOL.
The challenge, Andy, is to find a club who would take on the commercial risk.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 05:37 (Ref:2488764)   #56
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep brilliant idea. Did anyone mention Mondelo Park.Havent been there for a couple of years but allways made very welcome.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 05:59 (Ref:2488771)   #57
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Rockingham?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 06:13 (Ref:2488773)   #58
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about coming over to France? Lots of circuits happy to run classic/endurance events and experienced in doing so. The culture (like Belgium) is much more welcoming to motor sport than at home. I guess it would require a good chunk of sponsorship, but a race on the continent does open up more avenues for raising capital, not least because of the extra entries that it would attract...perhaps talk to French clubs about a partnership?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 06:52 (Ref:2488779)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hi Mike,

I concur re the continent but then it would possibly mitigate against the "budget conscious clubman" to use Andy's words. Adding in the cost of travel and accommodation does tend to frighten people off.

Also let's not forget that this is supposed to be an "alternative 6hrs" which I understand to mean a UK based event.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2488808)   #60
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Right i recon this is a great idea the first job is too find a sponsor.!!!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:06 (Ref:2488822)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It does seem to have legs doesn't it?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2488828)   #62
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Being a pessimist and realistic the downside of all this will be the cost. We pay around £200 for a fifteen minute race so a six hour could come in near £5K, that's more than double the Spa entry so I can't see many people taking it up.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2488839)   #63
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Being a pessimist and realistic the downside of all this will be the cost. We pay around £200 for a fifteen minute race so a six hour could come in near £5K, that's more than double the Spa entry so I can't see many people taking it up.
There's a big ecomomy of scale. A quick 'back of an envelope' calculation, bearing in mind that you've got to have qualifying time, would mean a whole day's track and infrastructure cost. I reckon you could do it for an entry fee of comfortably less than £2k.....probably nearer £1.5k but much would depend on entry numbers....I'm assuming between 30 and 40.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2488843)   #64
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Right i recon this is a great idea the first job is too find a sponsor.!!!
In the present climate I don't think hard cash would be forthcoming. Better to think in terms of 'indirect' sponsorship such as free/subsidised fuel or tyres...that sort of thing?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2488847)   #65
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even at a target figure of £1750,that would [dependant on entries]be quite a bit cheaper than the 2500Eu for Spa.All it would need is an interesting circuit,nothing worse than just plugging around and around some boring venue!With 35 cars that gives £61.250,I'm sure there would be enough revenue for the hiring of any UK circuit?
Iain,any chance of you having a word with your mate Ross?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2488850)   #66
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Time of day is important too. Don't forget you'd have to tack this on to another event so the marshals will be around for a longer time. An evening race of four hours (rather than six) might be better.

People seem to like Angelssey and if it has no noise problems it may well suit.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2488852)   #67
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

How about setting an upfront entry fee of say £2k. Then, after paying all the costs, including an organiser's fee for the permit holding club, distribute any profit back to the entrants?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2488853)   #68
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Time of day is important too. Don't forget you'd have to tack this on to another event so the marshals will be around for a longer time. An evening race of four hours (rather than six) might be better.

People seem to like Angelssey and if it has no noise problems it may well suit.
Peter - I'd be surprised if a club would take it on as part of an existing meeting. Even a 4 hour race with qualifying would be, I think, be disruptive and unattractive. Better to think in terms of a 6 hour and make it a standalone one day event....with perhaps just a couple of short supporting races.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2488857)   #69
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Good idea John,as Peter said,there would be some track time available for selling off to other Series as well.This all seems rather familiar,I seem to remember Ms Foulston suggesting that she would be doing something similar when she took over the reigns of BH.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2488859)   #70
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before we all get over excited, I just thought I'd refer us all back to the OP as it might be worth developing a consensus on the types of car that are eligible. These things start to take on a momentum of their own and I wouldn't want this to end up as a "Classic Britcar" (with associated bling) fest!! I would be concerned to have the max number of eligible cars compete, but without frightening away the cars/ owners of more "normal" cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37 View Post
would there be any interest in a race of say 4/6 hours for cars up to 1980, maybe newer, split into age groups (pre '70, 80 etc) and engine classes within that, running to CSCC/ FISC/ Maxi 1000 type regs? I.E. cars that look like they should (no big arches/ wings etc) but relatively free under the skin on E marked tyres or Dunlop historics.
Peter also said;

Quote:
If it were to run to CSCC regs then it does open up the opportunities for interesting interpretations of historic cars.
but my interpretaion of this is that cars should also be fitted with original type engines & induction systems and should not have outlandish bodywork. Road legal tyres only (List 1a or 1b).
Old 23 Jun 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2488860)   #71
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
So then it would need to be decided on what cars would be allowed in.List 1B etc leaves quite a big choice,would it be better to have a control tyre,D98 for example?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2488861)   #72
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Peter - I'd be surprised if a club would take it on as part of an existing meeting. Even a 4 hour race with qualifying would be, I think, be disruptive and unattractive. Better to think in terms of a 6 hour and make it a standalone one day event....with perhaps just a couple of short supporting races.

IF it was to be Anglesey, many events seem to get relatively poor grids due to the travel distance for many southern based racers (!). Some clubs run two day meetings there & so have double the expense & risk, however, a 6 hour race with qualifying on one day & a normal race meeting on the second day may be an attractive proposition for some clubs. IF the interest that seems to be being generated here translates to actual entries!!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2488862)   #73
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
So then it would need to be decided on what cars would be allowed in.List 1B etc leaves quite a big choice,would it be better to have a control tyre,D98 for example?
Control tyres could start adding additional cost in my view....unless a company was interested in a one off sponsorship deal. You also have the problem of appropriate tye sizes being available for all cars. Just better to leave the tyre choice relatively wide & let the individual decide what best suits.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 09:15 (Ref:2488863)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
but my interpretaion of this is that cars should also be fitted with original type engines & induction systems and should not have outlandish bodywork. Road legal tyres only (List 1a or 1b).
Agreed. I was going to post that same thing. I think it has to be classic based simply because you'd get the car clubs interested. That may well put a natural age limit on things so perhaps stop at 1979?

Cars must be production based not prototypes or sports racers with original panel material (no f/glass alloy substitutes).

MSA/FIA safety regs apply.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2488867)   #75
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Agreed. I was going to post that same thing. I think it has to be classic based simply because you'd get the car clubs interested. That may well put a natural age limit on things so perhaps stop at 1979?

Cars must be production based not prototypes or sports racers with original panel material (no f/glass alloy substitutes).

MSA/FIA safety regs apply.
I was hoping to stretch it to at least 1985 so my Fiat was eligible(!!!) and preferably to 1993 so my Toyota might get to race (and it might attract the pre 1993 cars from the Toyo series), that would still make the cars 16 years old.

Tags
alternative 6hrs, classic cars, cscc, ctcrc, mgcc bcv8