Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Dec 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2592229)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some of these posts have been moved from the CSCC mini enduro thread because they are much more Guards orientated, and are rather swamping the new thread. I see that really we are going over old ground, but I see that the issue is tending still to rumble on a bit, so maybe those individuals who actually contest the Guards rounds and who still have an issue ought to get together and put some constructive suggestions together and put them to the HSCC. However, you do need to accept that the current HSCC series and calendar is both very successful and pretty packed, and adding new grids, and/or series, because that is in effect what would need to happen, would not be the work of a moment, and probably not for next season, anyway, so it would have to be a pretty compelling argument in terms of numbers and more of a mid to long term proposal.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2592237)   #77
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Mark you are then trying to distort history!! Go back into the history of Guards or indeed any other GT type race of that era and they included 23b;s etc... the Chevrons etc are a more obvious argument.
What are you on Simon ? I am agreeing that 23bs should be in. Please read threads properly before reacting.

My main point is not that there should be adherance to what ran in the Guards Trophy in period as in reality the HSCC is just using the name. Rather I think that the HSCC should run a pre 66 championship for GT cars as there are so many out there that commercially it would be a great success (and yes before anyone jumps on that comment I am aware of the history of the Classic Sports Car championship fore runner to Guards). Masters, GT and Sportscar Cup, CSSC, pre-63 GTs.......the HSCC is missing an opportunity.

Mark

Last edited by Teddington Ted; 1 Dec 2009 at 12:44.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2592270)   #78
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there are that many cars that could have run in the old Classic Sports Car championship why was it on its last legs? Frankly euthanasia awaited and the introduction of the sports racers saved its bacon. The fact is that as shown by the grids at the Gold Cup there are enough cars out there - the question is where are they the rest of the time and why dont they support the other meetings?
Old 1 Dec 2009, 14:11 (Ref:2592274)   #79
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark I didn't mean my comment to sound agressive - I jsut dont know how to use smileys!! I think if HSCC ran Guards as a 1 hour race we would see more GT's come out. Current trend is shared racing and I subscribe to it
Old 1 Dec 2009, 14:32 (Ref:2592291)   #80
Mike Wroe
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
Mike Wroe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who raced in the old Classic Sports Car championship with the HSCC, one of the main reasons it was in decline was because it only featured 15 minute races other than 1x 40 minute race at Snetterton which didn't really suit most of the people with eligible cars I spoke to, salt was really rubbed in the wound when the HSCC sold a 1 hour race at Oulton to Gentlemen Drivers whilst restricting its own members with similar Appendix K cars to a 15 minute sprint. People just voted with their entry forms, ironically now we have the sports racers in we are offered several 40 minute races plus of course the 3 hour race at Snetterton.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2592297)   #81
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
but 40 minutes is a cop out as well - its neither fish nor foul as its too short really for two drivers. I am afraid HSCC are very good at almost delivering something really good but going for the cheap option at the last minute. Why wasn't the 3 hour race tacked onto the May Silverstone International meeting instead of Snett which is not quite as appealing... instead of inviting a French series who arrived with Morgan plus 8's (ironically members of HSCC HRS series) why didn't they include Appendix K saloons like Spa 6 Hour. It is frustrating how often they are almost fantastic but lack the self confidence to go out on a limb and do something really special.
For all that I am and will remain a member!
Old 1 Dec 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2592299)   #82
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So now the races are longer why don't we have more entries? As Simon Drabble has so often said, the answer is for more pre 66 cars to enter and ease the later cars out. It would appear the HSCC has given more track time, has given more circuit choice, has offered shared driving opportunities - were are all your entries? If there were huge entries then the grid would gain "critical mass" and have more sway in what could be asked for.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2592314)   #83
Mike Wroe
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
Mike Wroe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For myself I've moved over to race with with the CSCC although I hope to do some Guards races this year as I still remain a member. I think the HSCC is a fantastic club that puts on great meetings but having been welcomed with open arms at the CSCC and had some fantastic times racing with them they will remain the focus of my racing.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2592378)   #84
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guards

This can be a very critical forum! It seems to me that the current Guards format works in terms of grid size, is more affordable than many alternatives, provides good racing up and down the grid and fits the club's spirit of running a full calendar of events at a range of circuits. I don't see what's not to like. It's a lot of things that classic sports cars - at the end, at least - wasn't and there's no getting away from that. It's true that there are speed differentials between the front and back of the grid, but, for the most part, that's resolved by sensible and - to be fair to ourselves - relatively skillful driving on both sides. In the spirit of full disclosure, I'll admit that I got hit by one of the B8's last season. It was travelling at about 5mph in the pit lane at Brands and I was stationary. A speed differential of sorts, I suppose.

Last edited by one-two; 1 Dec 2009 at 16:50. Reason: typo
Old 1 Dec 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2592434)   #85
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It can one-two, men of a certain age have little better to do it would appear!

I think the CSCC new proposal is great, likewise is Guards, I also think theres space for both as there are more and more APp K cars being built, you also need to consider that HSCC members with more than one car will do Guards whereas non App K multi car owners will more than likely already be CSCC members ( I can think of a few anyway)

the CSCC appeals as I have an App K saloon, and the Rochdale (One day) will also be eligible at the same meetings, in period trim the Rochdale wouldn't be HRS legal however . . . and the COrtinas not Guards eligible, only HRSR.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2592443)   #86
one-two
Racer

Guards

That's more like it! Do try HRS with the Rochdale - would be great to see that out and scrapping with the Turners and what not. The club should try to find a place for it, even if that turns out to be in an invitation class or something.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2592468)   #87
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It is eligible for HRS, but its always been a competition car so not 'road spec'

to be honest theres not much difference that would stop HRS allowing it, and I have the original build spec sheet to justify it, I wouldn't run the HEwland 5 speed for various obvious reasons, and a 1500 precrossflow is probably a better bet than a 1300 crossflow . . . . although debatable.

anyway, if its wheels touch tarmac it'll be a miracle, spec aside!
Old 1 Dec 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2592485)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
anyway, if its wheels touch tarmac it'll be a miracle, spec aside!
How about a build party, Joe. We'll all descend on you one w/end and help finish it off- just for unlimited alchohol and food in return (while working, of course!)
Old 1 Dec 2009, 22:38 (Ref:2592563)   #89
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do the odd Guards Trophy race in my Lotus 11 but a lot less this year than last year.

The speed differentials are huge and I have grown a bit tired of getting carved up by those Chevrons. I have 3 very big mirrors on my car mounted on high turrets and still feel like a sitting duck.

The class system isnt exactly making it any more interesting either.
Class SRA is for every sports racing built before a certain age. You can be in a 1.1 litre car and find yourself in the same class as a 3.8 litre Jaguar just because the age bracket is the same.

I do like the team element and the tactics very much. But I agree that You need and hour to make it a good 2 driver race. Unfortunately this takes up a lot of track time.

The series has evolved into something different. If the grids are full and works, ok.

I still do the odd one in future, but in its current shape but its not my favorite series.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2592681)   #90
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Appropriate Cars ??

Guards Trophy Brands Hatch
August 1964

Classified: 18
:
Fastest lap: Bruce McLaren No. 11 Zerex Special Oldsmobile 1:44 147,624 km/h
11 Bruce McLaren (NZ) Zerex Special Oldsmobile F1/16/61 Bruce McLaren 50 1:28:40,400 1. S+2.0 1. 1:42,200 2. 22 Denny Hulme (NZ) Brabham BT8 Climax Team Elite 50 1:29:22,800 1. S2.0 3. - Jack Brabham (AUS) Brabham BT8 Climax 50 1:29:51,400 2. S+2.0 no time 4. 10 Graham Hill (GB) Ferrari 330 P 0818 Maranello Concessionaires 50 1:29:56,600 3. S+2.0 5. - Jack Sears (GB) A.C. Cobra John Willment 49 1:28:44,200 1. GT 6. - Chris Amon (NZ) A.C. Cobra C. T. Atkins 49 1:28:45,600 2. GT 7. - Tony Lanfranchi (GB) Elva Mk.7 BMW 49 1:29:28,800 2. S2.0 8. - David Piper (GB) Ferrari 250 LM 5897 49 9. - Hugh Dibley (GB) Brabham BT8 Climax SC-2-64 SMART 48 10. - John Coundley (GB) Lotus 19 Climax 964 47 11. 8 Augie Pabst (USA) Lola Mk.6 GT Chevrolet LGT-2 John Mecom 47 12. - Dick Protheroe (GB) Jaguar E type 46 1:28:40,800 3. GT 13. - David Prophet (GB) Elva Mk.7 BMW 70P/053 46 1:28:53,200 3. S2.0 14. - Mike Salmon (GB) Aston Martin DP214 0194/R 46 15. - Tommy Hitchcock (USA) A.C. Cobra 46 16. - Bob Olthoff (ZA) A.C. Cobra 45 17. - Roger Mac (GB) Jaguar E type 256DJU 44 18. - Peter Sutcliffe (GB) Jaguar E type Lightweight S850666? Peter Sutcliffe? 39 Did not finish: - Roy Salvadori (GB) Cooper Monaco T61P Maserati C. T. Atkins 35 DNF 9 Walt Hansgen (USA) Lotus 19 Oldsmobile 965 John Mecom 34 DNF - Jackie Stewart (GB) Jaguar E type John Coombs DNF GT - Frank Gardner (AUS) Elva Mk.7 BMW DNF - Charlie Hayes (USA) Elva Mk.7 BMW DNF - Paul Hawkins (AUS) Lotus 23 106 DNF - Trevor Taylor (GB) Elva Mk.7 BMW DNF - A. J. Foyt (USA) Scarab Mk IV Chevrolet MkIV John Mecom DNF - Roy Pierpoint (GB) Attila - Ford DNF - Roger Nathan (GB) Brabham BT8 Climax SC-3-64 Roger Nathan DNF 4 Jim Clark (GB) Lotus 30 Ford DNF 31 Innes Ireland (GB) Ferrari 250 GTO 64 4399GT MO91553 Maranello Concessionaires Brakes In entry list: - Poper - Chris Kerrison (GB) Ferrari 250 GT SWB Drogo 2735GT MO66178?? Chris Kerrison

Last edited by fasted; 2 Dec 2009 at 07:45. Reason: Tidying up
Old 2 Dec 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2592701)   #91
one-two
Racer

Guards

What an amazing grid - it's not just the cars that are different nowadays!
Old 2 Dec 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2592896)   #92
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
How about a build party, Joe. We'll all descend on you one w/end and help finish it off- just for unlimited alchohol and food in return (while working, of course!)
yhe amount of food and alcohol that gets consumed by this lot . . . it'd be cheaper to get Prodrive to build it with bespoke C&G parts!
Old 2 Dec 2009, 16:25 (Ref:2592912)   #93
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
yhe amount of food and alcohol that gets consumed by this lot . . . it'd be cheaper to get Prodrive to build it with bespoke C&G parts!

You're probably right!
Old 19 Mar 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2655645)   #94
fasted
Racer

England
It is test day at Croft. I amsitting in the paddock writing this. This is a test run for my new "Dongle". Everyone I`ve met today connected with the circuit and the local clubs are genuinely excited about the HSCC meeting in August and detemined to make it a fantastic weekend. I hope their efforts are appreciated and rewarded
Old 19 Mar 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2655657)   #95
simon drabble
Veteran

what is a Dongle?!
Old 19 Mar 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2655663)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/mobile_broadband/
Old 19 Mar 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2655904)   #97
fasted
Racer

England
Quote:
what is a Dongle?!
Sorry Simon and you thought I had unearthed some long lost marque!
I am certain, having met you, you didn`t think it was anything rude

Last edited by fasted; 19 Mar 2010 at 18:52. Reason: Clarification, to forstall any smutty minds that may be reading
Old 19 Mar 2010, 19:08 (Ref:2655931)   #98
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
what is a Dongle?!

And we wonder why our banking system is buggered.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 08:42 (Ref:2656256)   #99
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
he's just spent Friday afternoon on ebay loolking for a pre 66 dongle to see if he can find a competitive Guards car on a poor bankers budget!
Old 20 Mar 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2656264)   #100
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted View Post
It is test day at Croft. I amsitting in the paddock writing this. This is a test run for my new "Dongle". Everyone I`ve met today connected with the circuit and the local clubs are genuinely excited about the HSCC meeting in August and detemined to make it a fantastic weekend. I hope their efforts are appreciated and rewarded
I can echo those views - all the Croft regulars are looking forward to this one and we're hoping there will be a good entry list.

If anyone is thinking of bringing friends & family why not make a long weekend of it and visit the International Tall Ships Races which are based at Hartlepool Marina the same weekend. It's only about 30 miles from Croft:

http://www.hartlepooltallships2010.com/index.php

(And no, I'm not a tourist information officer!)