Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Mar 2023, 17:29 (Ref:4146819)   #1726
techspeed
Rookie

techspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
It's an interesting point. Also, even in the case of ,F1 manufacturer interest (on terms of the number of makes) is a fair bit lower than previous levels.
True, although Honda have seemingly backtracked on their withdrawal and recently Ford and Audi have announced their entry for 2026 albeit in different guises. VAG were even prepared to countenance Porsche investing in Red Bull in addition to Audi's plans. The most obvious point of entry for new manufacturers is the new engine regs in '26, and by that measure I think it is in a healthy state.

My point was more about interest from sponsors from outside the motor industry. As well it's general high profile, F1 management has invested and will continue to invest in marketing around sustainability and values and I think this has been hugely appealing to sponsors (and manufacturers) to be associated with this.

Very few casual formula 1 fans will be oblivious to the fact that the power units are hybrid. I'm a pretty keen follower of F1 and have no interest in reading its sustainability strategy but I know it involves reaching net zero and biofuels. What can BTCC offer? A confusing graphic on the TV race coverage, references to hybrid in news articles/race reports and I assume some banners, tents and free merch at race weekends. I think WRC may also be in a similar boat.

I'm not dogmatically against the decision by Toca, I'm all for sustainability and I am sure I will enjoy fully electric racing if that's where motorsport is headed. I just wonder that if it is making competing in the series less financially viable, if privately Toca/Gow and the teams will be reflecting that this may have been a misguided. In addition, I imagine most BTCC fans are ambivalent about the hybrid element at best.

Last edited by techspeed; 12 Mar 2023 at 17:39.
Old 12 Mar 2023, 19:45 (Ref:4146834)   #1727
Rowbo01
Rookie

Rowbo01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspeed View Post
True, although Honda have seemingly backtracked on their withdrawal and recently Ford and Audi have announced their entry for 2026 albeit in different guises. VAG were even prepared to countenance Porsche investing in Red Bull in addition to Audi's plans. The most obvious point of entry for new manufacturers is the new engine regs in '26, and by that measure I think it is in a healthy state.

My point was more about interest from sponsors from outside the motor industry. As well it's general high profile, F1 management has invested and will continue to invest in marketing around sustainability and values and I think this has been hugely appealing to sponsors (and manufacturers) to be associated with this.

Very few casual formula 1 fans will be oblivious to the fact that the power units are hybrid. I'm a pretty keen follower of F1 and have no interest in reading its sustainability strategy but I know it involves reaching net zero and biofuels. What can BTCC offer? A confusing graphic on the TV race coverage, references to hybrid in news articles/race reports and I assume some banners, tents and free merch at race weekends. I think WRC may also be in a similar boat.

I'm not dogmatically against the decision by Toca, I'm all for sustainability and I am sure I will enjoy fully electric racing if that's where motorsport is headed. I just wonder that if it is making competing in the series less financially viable, if privately Toca/Gow and the teams will be reflecting that this may have been a misguided. In addition, I imagine most BTCC fans are ambivalent about the hybrid element at best.
To be honest, motorsport is just hard now.

Without the TOCA/BTCC platform I would be unable to attract the necessary funding to compete. The platform as a whole is hard work, but realistically very good value for money, and it’s also supposed to be the pinnacle, so it’s never going to be cheap.

Manufacturers and their support is always going to get worse before it gets better IMO, so much governmental pressure for the B/S that is EV, but it’s something we have to suffer, it may be short lived, it may be the only future we have, I’m lucky enough to be able to see the end of my career and I should get to see out ICE if it were to get switched off in the future.

Fingers crossed, sustainable fuels come on stream in some capacity and keep ICE alive, it’s noted that Germany and Italy are not yet singing the 2035 EU agreement to kill ICE, so let’s hope that for motorsport we can carry on with a modern fuel. Perhaps then, once released from the political B/S the manufacturers may get more involved?

Who knows?

But we can dream ???
Old 12 Mar 2023, 19:50 (Ref:4146835)   #1728
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Can't agree more, it's absolutely spot on what you've just said. My impression is that BTCC is becoming stagnant, it relied for a long time on a successful model (NGTC) that was cheap and brought capacity grids at times when such type of racing was still relatively popular. Now it looks like the events are overtaking BTCC a great deal and the championship simply can't keep up. Despite being relatively very low-budget (compared to not only international championships but even some national ones) it slowly might become a bit too much of a burden financially proving little reward and thus is in danger of becoming a 100% club-like contest for wealthy amateurs.
Hybrid rules, though intended to be quite a boost in terms of the championship's profile, haven't brought anything but made running the team more expensive with no increased boost from sponsors etc. Social media and online presence of the BTCC is stuck in the 2000s, which doesn't help things.
In theory, switching to hybrids was a good idea but situation looks like it hasn't given the series anything.
Old 12 Mar 2023, 20:28 (Ref:4146836)   #1729
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowbo01 View Post

Manufacturers and their support is always going to get worse before it gets better IMO, so much governmental pressure for the B/S that is EV, but it’s something we have to suffer, it may be short lived, it may be the only future we have, I’m lucky enough to be able to see the end of my career and I should get to see out ICE if it were to get switched off in the future.
EV is technological dead end hyped up by Elon Musk fanboys and now politicians bought into this fake hype too , I am sure they tried all sorts of battery compositions by now to give a significant boost but it's just not there , alternative fuels is the real avenue to pursue.

Dan as a driver how to you feel about to the fragile toe linkage ? doesn't make you afraid to do any rubbing as it would mean instant DNF? (of course someone else can hit you slightly and you get same result)
Old 13 Mar 2023, 09:21 (Ref:4146879)   #1730
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've been thinking about why this may be; did the season impacted by Covid have
a knock on effect, is it the current state of the British economy, the general decline in the appeal of touring cars with petrol engines (see also. WTCR).
This is the key thing, why it may be more of a challenge to find a budget for this season via sponsorship.

Knock-on effects of covid, post-Brexit inflation, current unstable state of gov policies. It's all combined to affect several industries, and importantly those who hold the marketing budget purse strings.

The BTCC has mainstream viewers, and a large audience, so it deserves to be a premium product that costs significant sums to enter, but then also gains large sponsors to fund entries.

In the meantime, series like TCR UK will gain more of those teams and drivers on the fringes budget-wise, the more traditional 'privateers' who don't necessarily have big sponsors who need big exposure to justify a significant investment.

In these economic downtimes, it's natural to see a dip in perceived grid quality, but I hope things improve on a macro level in 2024/25 and thus help BTCC.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 09:29 (Ref:4146882)   #1731
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
In these economic downtimes, it's natural to see a dip in perceived grid quality, but I hope things improve on a macro level in 2024/25 and thus help BTCC.
…and if 25 or so cars is classed as a bad grid, I think we’re doing ok!
Old 13 Mar 2023, 09:45 (Ref:4146885)   #1732
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Social media and online presence of the BTCC is stuck in the 2000s, which doesn't help things.
In theory, switching to hybrids was a good idea but situation looks like it hasn't given the series anything.
I've been following the new Gen3 SuperCars over the weekend. The social media and online presence of that series is light years ahead of BTCC but there are complaints everywhere about how bad it is.

Would Toyota be involved if it wasn't for the hybrid message?
Old 13 Mar 2023, 10:05 (Ref:4146888)   #1733
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The Supercar series has been through tough times, but it seems to be back on it's feet now. The BTCC doesn't need to worry though, it's good in it's own right and boasts some great teams and drivers.

Toyota are in the series because it still does something for them
Old 13 Mar 2023, 10:57 (Ref:4146894)   #1734
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
I've been following the new Gen3 SuperCars over the weekend. The social media and online presence of that series is light years ahead of BTCC but there are complaints everywhere about how bad it is.

Would Toyota be involved if it wasn't for the hybrid message?
Well, it seems Supercars fans are particularly good in complaining and another matter is that there's always something to improve. But if BTCC had such a package as Supercars I'd be really happy. Supercars as a championship is a lot more 'lively', new tracks, formats introduced from time to time, new faces making jump to the main series becoming potential hopes for the future, interesting storylines throughout the seasons even if there's one driver who wins most of the races, etc. BTCC is stagnant and 'boring' (not in terms of races, mind you). Yeah, why fix something which is working and I agree, on their own level BTCC is in an amazingly good place but I'm afraid this stagnation can lead (if not is already happening) to it going backwards.

Well, probably Toyota wouldn't be involved, it's true, but on the other hand I have a feeling Toyota's 'involvement' gives little to the series. Yes, at least they have one strong driver who perhaps has more stability because of it. The name Toyota Gazoo Racing is also a nice thing in terms of the image of the series. But apart from that, there are no more manufacturers who could 'participate' at least in such an extent as Toyota.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4146895)   #1735
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, it seems Supercars fans are particularly good in complaining and another matter is that there's always something to improve. But if BTCC had such a package as Supercars I'd be really happy. Supercars as a championship is a lot more 'lively', new tracks, formats introduced from time to time, new faces making jump to the main series becoming potential hopes for the future, interesting storylines throughout the seasons even if there's one driver who wins most of the races, etc. BTCC is stagnant and 'boring' (not in terms of races, mind you). Yeah, why fix something which is working and I agree, on their own level BTCC is in an amazingly good place but I'm afraid this stagnation can lead (if not is already happening) to it going backwards.

Well, probably Toyota wouldn't be involved, it's true, but on the other hand I have a feeling Toyota's 'involvement' gives little to the series. Yes, at least they have one strong driver who perhaps has more stability because of it. The name Toyota Gazoo Racing is also a nice thing in terms of the image of the series. But apart from that, there are no more manufacturers who could 'participate' at least in such an extent as Toyota.
Supercars? Dominated by one team, most teams on their uppers financially, new car has had a shambolic gestation despite 2 years of "testing", the grass isn't always as green as it appears....
Old 13 Mar 2023, 12:42 (Ref:4146907)   #1736
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
BTCC is stagnant and 'boring' (not in terms of races, mind you).
I struggle to understand what this part of the post is getting at?

It reads like you are saying that the series is not stagnant and boring in terms of races. Surely that is the point? If other things stagnate to keep the on-track action exciting, then I would have thought that is a better option than trying to spice things up off-track, when the on-track product is not working.

It also seems strange to suggest the series is stagnant:
A major new change to regulations in hybrid has been introduced.
A new champion in 2022.
New drivers joining every season.
8 different makes of car represented in 2022.
12 different race winners in 2022.

What is stagnant and boring?
Old 13 Mar 2023, 13:10 (Ref:4146910)   #1737
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

It reads like you are saying that the series is not stagnant and boring in terms of races. Surely that is the point? If other things stagnate to keep the on-track action exciting, then I would have thought that is a better option than trying to spice things up off-track, when the on-track product is not working.

A new champion in 2022.

Definitely require a bit of prospective The fact that two significant teams still have entries for the illustrious TBA is concerning and could mean a slight reduction in numbers to about 25, which is healthier than some previous times . Against that the series is very competitive with multiple winners and very media friendly drivers at its pinnacle . Always loved the outlook of Sutton and Ingram and love that they rose to the top to be champions . Yes the old hands are falling away and 3 of the big 4 (neal plato shedden and Turks) may not be their this year but all good things must end . Welcome the new faces , some of whom show great promise . Really hope those with talent but low budget can find a way . Ain’t like Dan Lloyd have mentioned they could not sustain drives in the top teams , that needs a little adjustment maybe . However he has a drive with prospects elsewhere . With good drivers some small teams can shock a few .
If we want to view a boring and stagnate entity I think F1 has it all. One of two truly competitive drivers dominating the racing fudged rules that give fake racing at expense of true entertainment and all the controversy of unsatisfactory resolutions ala 2021 championship . Would be very worried if tourers went that way. It’s excellent entertainment easily enjoyed through tv and the only thing I deliberately make time for outside domestic needs .
Old 13 Mar 2023, 13:15 (Ref:4146911)   #1738
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:

A new champion in 2022.

A major new change to regulations in hybrid has been introduced. -> which didn't bring anything super exciting to the racing nor anything very valuable in terms of 'marketing.'

A new champion in 2022. -> agreed.

New drivers joining every season. -> tell me which ones have climbed up the ladder to get to the BTCC and can be perceived as future stars of the series.

The remaining points I agree with but what I mean by 'stagnant' (even if that might be, to some extent, an exaggeration) is that there's a feeling we have had the same product for years and there's nothing that really moves 'forward' - constantly the same tracks, the same TV package, same points system, going back and forth with unexciting ideas of option tyres, the same format of the races, the same cars that go on for years after they're no longer sold which decreases the series' relevance. A feeling that there's lack of creativity to move the championship with the times. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm trying to say that changing the points system every year would make it suddenly super exciting or changing formats of the races each year would be a mind-blowing, no, I'm not saying that. That's just my, subjective feeling when taking everything, as a package, into consideration.
You don't (and probably won't) have to understand my point of view because that is subjective and I have full right to feel that way.
At the same time it's not like I'm not enjoying the BTCC as it is and, who knows, possibly some ideas to change things a bit wouldn't work out for whatever reason. I'm much happier with BTCC being 'stagnant'in this way than trying to force some changes and make it chaotic and off-putting for teams and fans. But at the same time, I'm not one of those who always wear pink glasses and find a counterargument for every criticism to justify that everything is pretty and fluffy.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 13:20 (Ref:4146912)   #1739
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonman View Post
The fact that two significant teams still have entries for the illustrious TBA is concerning and could mean a slight reduction in numbers to about 25, which is healthier than some previous times .
I think it is a bit premature to be concerned yet. Yes, it's true that not all drivers have been announced, but that doesn't mean drivers aren't signed.

This time last year, we were still waiting for Speedworks and BTC to announce drivers....
Old 13 Mar 2023, 13:29 (Ref:4146915)   #1740
Protonman
Rookie

Quote:
Definitely require a bit of prospective The fact that two significant teams still have entries for the illustrious TBA is concerning and could mean a slight reduction in numbers to about 25, which is healthier than some previous times . Against that the series is very competitive with multiple winners and very media friendly drivers at its pinnacle . Always loved the outlook of Sutton and Ingram and love that they rose to the top to be champions . Yes the old hands are falling away and 3 of the big 4 (neal plato shedden and Turks) may not be their this year but all good things must end . Welcome the new faces , some of whom show great promise . Really hope those with talent but low budget can find a way . Ain’t like Dan Lloyd have mentioned they could not sustain drives in the top teams , that needs a little adjustment maybe . However he has a drive with prospects elsewhere . With good drivers some small teams can shock a few .
If we want to view a boring and stagnate entity I think F1 has it all. One of two truly competitive drivers dominating the racing fudged rules that give fake racing at expense of true entertainment and all the controversy of unsatisfactory resolutions ala 2021 championship . Would be very worried if tourers went that way. It’s excellent entertainment easily enjoyed through tv and the only thing I deliberately make time for outside domestic needs .
The thing the BTCC must avoid is the threat of elitist ways . This year their is an alternate in TCR but it has to be remembered it has none of profile and based on a 4 year old model . Their was once the option for the BTCC to follow suit and use the same rules but chose to be individual . It does need though to continue to make it viable and support the talent without big funds to offer . Remember the champion team this year was nowhere 3 years ago and the top driver was with a small but enthusiastic underachiever team before . That same team now runs Toyotas under a manufacturer badge . Progress maybe but at a cost . A slight adjustment may be needed to stabilise things but don’t throw out the baby with the bath water . No expensive manufacturer based new ideas , just a way to harness the privateers and keep the racing as it is .
Old 13 Mar 2023, 13:33 (Ref:4146917)   #1741
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
A major new change to regulations in hybrid has been introduced. -> which didn't bring anything super exciting to the racing nor anything very valuable in terms of 'marketing.'

New drivers joining every season. -> tell me which ones have climbed up the ladder to get to the BTCC and can be perceived as future stars of the series.

The remaining points I agree with but what I mean by 'stagnant' (even if that might be, to some extent, an exaggeration) is that there's a feeling we have had the same product for years and there's nothing that really moves 'forward' - constantly the same tracks, the same TV package, same points system, going back and forth with unexciting ideas of option tyres, the same format of the races, the same cars that go on for years after they're no longer sold which decreases the series' relevance. A feeling that there's lack of creativity to move the championship with the times. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm trying to say that changing the points system every year would make it suddenly super exciting or changing formats of the races each year would be a mind-blowing, no, I'm not saying that. That's just my, subjective feeling when taking everything, as a package, into consideration.
You don't (and probably won't) have to understand my point of view because that is subjective and I have full right to feel that way.
At the same time it's not like I'm not enjoying the BTCC as it is and, who knows, possibly some ideas to change things a bit wouldn't work out for whatever reason. I'm much happier with BTCC being 'stagnant'in this way than trying to force some changes and make it chaotic and off-putting for teams and fans. But at the same time, I'm not one of those who always wear pink glasses and find a counterargument for every criticism to justify that everything is pretty and fluffy.

I would contest that hybrid offered nothing to the marketing. Many team members have commented that having hybrid as part of the series has made their negotiations with sponsors more fruitful.

I think we also sometimes forget how short the career of some recent drivers has been. And also, how long it takes to be successful once they have joined the series.

It's true, there will always be new drivers (probably the majority) who climb up to BTCC and never become stars - but that should be expected from something at the level of BTCC.

If I look back over the last ten years:
2013 - Jake Hill - many see as a potential champion.
2015 - Josh Cook - established as a driver with potential for regular race wins.
2016 - Ash Sutton - one of the biggest stars on the grid today.
2018 - Dan Cammish - already came close to a title, and a star for the foreseeable future.
2022 - Ash Hand - with the right car, seen as having potential to become a future star?

As you say, a lot of it is personal opinion - but I think we have a healthy supply of new arrivals to the series that will become the household names in the future. How long did it take the likes of Turkington, Neal, Ingram etc to become 'stars'?
Old 13 Mar 2023, 13:38 (Ref:4146919)   #1742
Protonman
Rookie

Quote:

Sorry didn’t

Sorry I didn’t mean to be critical or disrespectful. Your thoughts are constructive and I agree . Just adding to the balance . It’s a bit like silly season in the football at present . When the first race is run then we will see what transpired . I for one would love to attend the intro day but work precludes . Always love those new liveries and air of expectation .
Old 13 Mar 2023, 13:48 (Ref:4146921)   #1743
Protonman
Rookie

Quote:
I think it is a bit premature to be concerned yet. Yes, it's true that not all drivers have been announced, but that doesn't mean drivers aren't signed.

This time last year, we were still waiting for Speedworks and BTC to announce drivers....
Those two teams are amongst those who are trying to expand and have this far failed , probably due to late withdrawal of sponsors . No fault of theirs , good to see ambition . The fact they took up extra entries , did that cost them or are the licences on a sale or return basis . If the first then it means they must have had serious intent rather than just taking a stab at it .
Old 13 Mar 2023, 14:11 (Ref:4146922)   #1744
Protonman
Rookie

One point I liked was the circuit familiarity . I remember the days of the smaller circuits and really liked the alternative of a street race . I guess one is now considered out of date or too ambitious . What alternatives are their I wonder. Multiple layouts available but currently not being used at silver stone and snetterton . Some May suit BTCC although silverstone GP circuit May not be one . Big empty spaces probably not the way to go .
Old 13 Mar 2023, 14:25 (Ref:4146923)   #1745
paulinhot
Rookie

England
Dorset
paulinhot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With only 39 days to go until the first race of the 2023 season, any chance of a surprise win for a driver/team combo that isn't being touted as one of the front running teams ?.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 14:31 (Ref:4146924)   #1746
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinhot View Post
With only 39 days to go until the first race of the 2023 season, any chance of a surprise win for a driver/team combo that isn't being touted as one of the front running teams ?.
Butcher (not that’s he’s been confirmed yet) had an excellent run at the last few rounds last year, so should be right up there if they can carry that momentum. The Toyota always seems to struggle at the start of the season though.

With no new cars on the grid I imagine it’ll be Hill, Sutton, Ingram and Turkington leading the charge again. Cook too depending on the engine situation.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 14:46 (Ref:4146927)   #1747
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:

I would contest that hybrid offered nothing to the marketing. Many team members have commented that having hybrid as part of the series has made their negotiations with sponsors more fruitful.

I think we also sometimes forget how short the career of some recent drivers has been. And also, how long it takes to be successful once they have joined the series.

It's true, there will always be new drivers (probably the majority) who climb up to BTCC and never become stars - but that should be expected from something at the level of BTCC.

If I look back over the last ten years:
2013 - Jake Hill - many see as a potential champion.
2015 - Josh Cook - established as a driver with potential for regular race wins.
2016 - Ash Sutton - one of the biggest stars on the grid today.
2018 - Dan Cammish - already came close to a title, and a star for the foreseeable future.
2022 - Ash Hand - with the right car, seen as having potential to become a future star?

As you say, a lot of it is personal opinion - but I think we have a healthy supply of new arrivals to the series that will become the household names in the future. How long did it take the likes of Turkington, Neal, Ingram etc to become 'stars'?
Well, regarding the hybrid and its marketing importance, you're right, also remember hearing such sentiments. But there's just an impression that it's still not added a lot, or maybe not as much as had been expected, in terms of manufacturers or new bigger sponsors.

Yeah, and the short careers of some drivers is an issue - some of them could've made a decent career but often for financial reasons couldn't make a lengthy career in the BTCC.

The drivers you mention I absolutely agree on, but there's a cloud of uncertainty over Ash Hand. He aims to come back in 2024 but it's not actually settled he will, we know how tricky it can be. Guys like Dan Lloyd or George Gamble, the former had to settle for HARD seat and unless is taken by someone like Mark Blundell in case of Jake Hill, he may be forced to end his career prematurely (touch wood and I wish him otherwise). Gamble impressed me a lot last year but with Cicely gone he seems to be gone as well. Senna Proctor's been struggling with being consistently on the grid. I'm not really up to date with the support championships but doesn't seem there have been drivers who climbed up and stayed in the BTCC to make a career out of it and that seems a problem.
And worry regarding teams such as Dynamics is another one unfortunately.

But you're right, not every driver wins from the very beginning and there might be someone on the grid who'll soon start winning and become a BTCC star out of the blue almost.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 14:47 (Ref:4146928)   #1748
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry I didn’t mean to be critical or disrespectful. Your thoughts are constructive and I agree . Just adding to the balance . It’s a bit like silly season in the football at present . When the first race is run then we will see what transpired . I for one would love to attend the intro day but work precludes . Always love those new liveries and air of expectation .
No worries agree with you on many points you've raised.
actually a nice discussion with both of you, Guys
Old 13 Mar 2023, 16:06 (Ref:4146940)   #1749
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Exactly this. I wouldn't be surprised if the final announcements come on April 11th, or even the following day on Media Day itself.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 16:10 (Ref:4146941)   #1750
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
One point I liked was the circuit familiarity . I remember the days of the smaller circuits and really liked the alternative of a street race . I guess one is now considered out of date or too ambitious . What alternatives are their I wonder. Multiple layouts available but currently not being used at silver stone and snetterton . Some May suit BTCC although silverstone GP circuit May not be one . Big empty spaces probably not the way to go .
A street race can be great but it's generally very expensive for teams.