Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 May 2020, 19:03 (Ref:3976630)   #101
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Forgive me here, but Marshalls are an army of trained unpaid professionals. The average employee on a circuits payroll won't have the necessary skills to perform the task; it's not just waving flags at random and brushing gravel off the track!
In the context of this forum I’d give credit to its members that they know this.
Old 16 May 2020, 20:28 (Ref:3976648)   #102
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
One thing I think Mr Gow should seriously consider is not always having BTCC race 3 as the last race of the day. It just creates an unnessasary rush to the exit for every single person trackside. Years back before the live TV there would be at least 1 race after race 3 in order to stagger the exit of crowd. My first race at Oulton Park in 1997 I think there was two events after race 2 of the BTCC, which meant a much more orderly exit at the end of the day.
Old 16 May 2020, 20:33 (Ref:3976652)   #103
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
One thing I think Mr Gow should seriously consider is not always having BTCC race 3 as the last race of the day. It just creates an unnessasary rush to the exit for every single person trackside. Years back before the live TV there would be at least 1 race after race 3 in order to stagger the exit of crowd. My first race at Oulton Park in 1997 I think there was two events after race 2 of the BTCC, which meant a much more orderly exit at the end of the day.
Alan likes to get the crowds involved such as allowing the crowds on to the track to watch the race 3 podium at Brands Hatch, you can't do that very well while gridding up a load of Ginetta's.

It would certainly ease the demand on the local roads if there was a race or two to watch after the last BTCC race but ITV is king, so what they want goes.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 17:49 (Ref:3991923)   #104
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So will we get a full 9 round championship now partial crowds are not allowed?
Will Palmer spend £100's of thousands of pounds to run behind closed doors and have no income???
Old 31 Jul 2020, 18:03 (Ref:3991927)   #105
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Will Palmer spend £100's of thousands of pounds to run behind closed doors and have no income???
I seriously doubt Palmer would have agreed to a contract that didn't have some sort of stipulation in it for events like these. I expect MSV and TOCA will come to an arrangement so that no-one is hugely out of pocket.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 18:27 (Ref:3991934)   #106
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The ban on spectators is only for August at the moment not the full 9 round season. The money Palmer has spent on all his circuits has meant that other race meetings could go ahead with spectators, British GT confirmed at 1pm today that this weekends meeting at Oulton Park would be allowed spectators.
I would be expecting TOCA and MSUK to be lobbying the DCMS to find out why it has now decided to classify the BTCC as an Elite sport and why Elite sports have to follow a different set of rules to similar championships or sports that aren't classified as Elite.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 18:36 (Ref:3991935)   #107
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
The ban on spectators is only for August at the moment not the full 9 round season.
The govt intention was for phase 5 to begin to be implemented no earlier than Oct. With July and August seeing pilots.

Where do you get the 'just for Aug' from?

The suspension of the pilot events must surely put an October date for phase 5 in doubt?
Old 31 Jul 2020, 19:10 (Ref:3991940)   #108
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
The ban on spectators is only for August at the moment not the full 9 round season. The money Palmer has spent on all his circuits has meant that other race meetings could go ahead with spectators, British GT confirmed at 1pm today that this weekends meeting at Oulton Park would be allowed spectators.
I would be expecting TOCA and MSUK to be lobbying the DCMS to find out why it has now decided to classify the BTCC as an Elite sport and why Elite sports have to follow a different set of rules to similar championships or sports that aren't classified as Elite.

I was referring to the fact Palmer would have to pay TOCA ×£ and then pay the circuit running costs and insurance for each circuit. The fact he has 5 rounds to pay for with potential of no income from
3 of the 1st 4 events
Old 31 Jul 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3991944)   #109
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Where do you get the 'just for Aug' from?
From what MSV said, or rather from what people have misinterpreted from what MSV said
http://news.msv.com/important-update...in-august.aspx

They said that would be no public events in Aug, which is true*. They don't say that it will be only for August.

*Technically it might not be true. The last BTCC meeting in August is at Knockhill and different rules apply North of the border so things might be different.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 19:56 (Ref:3991949)   #110
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
From what MSV said, or rather from what people have misinterpreted from what MSV said
http://news.msv.com/important-update...in-august.aspx

They said that would be no public events in Aug, which is true*. They don't say that it will be only for August.

*Technically it might not be true. The last BTCC meeting in August is at Knockhill and different rules apply North of the border so things might be different.
Cheers - and from a BTCC perspective, there are no scheduled MSV events for September either.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 21:20 (Ref:3991970)   #111
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Cheers - and from a BTCC perspective, there are no scheduled MSV events for September either.
So no spectators at Donington,Brands or Oulton... and maybe Knockhill but thats different
Old 1 Aug 2020, 05:42 (Ref:3991998)   #112
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I was referring to the fact Palmer would have to pay TOCA ×£ and then pay the circuit running costs and insurance for each circuit. The fact he has 5 rounds to pay for with potential of no income from
3 of the 1st 4 events
I am sure that everyone is being sensible and not too many invoices are flying round. Circuits and promoters need to work together - if there no circuits surviving TOCA has no business- unless they are going to do an 'F1' and hold the whole season at Thruxton...

Part of the problem has been some unclear messaging that has been a feature of the whole covid period. MSUK did say permits issued for July for behind closed doors only, then circuit operators saw other government guidance about opening 'tourist attractions' for visitors and made themselves open for 'visitors'.

Then you have some things that the government has put number limitations on, but not others. Didn't some other coutries put a limit of 500 people on a public gathering. If we had a number on such gatherings in the UK and clear parameters for what constitued a gathering, everyone would know what they are working to.

Some events seem to be creating their own arbitory ceiling on numbers, based on very little.

Overall (and as someone in the events industry) I think clear guidance on what you can and can't do would be beneficial.