Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Apr 2021, 06:55 (Ref:4047220)   #1201
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
They are elite, John, they can race abroad when others cant. Do you remember the "what happens in Monaco, stays in Monaco" thing? I'm happy this event happens and will try and find the live streaming if possible.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4047232)   #1202
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Suppose you are correct.
They are elite from point of view that they are doing something that others can’t.
If it means they are good or brilliant at what they do?
In 99% of cases this is wishful thinking! Dragging themselves and probably a thousand backup people across France through a country that has a major Covid problem and then return to UK. Nonsense and don’t tell me they are quarantining in either France or UK when they return! It’s bullshit!
Of course your normal Joe Bloggs will get vilified if he wants a couple of weeks in Benidorm.
Get real.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4047243)   #1203
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Of course its BS. Standing at the other, very far and low, side of the scale, I said to my racer mates that nothing was more important to my eyes than having at least a first jab. WTF racing with such a H situation we have? Nobody commented that other than stupid references to my age. But when our calendar showed several meetings being either cancelled or delayed we heard a lot of "what a relief".
If this virus dont make people become/remain humble, what will I wonder?
Old 22 Apr 2021, 09:04 (Ref:4047245)   #1204
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Most people in Historic Racing don’t do humble!
That’s how they can afford it and normal rules don’t apply to them.
Generalisation but being involved with the fraternity for forty years got a general idea of how it works.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 09:36 (Ref:4047246)   #1205
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
They are elite, John, they can race abroad when others cant. Do you remember the "what happens in Monaco, stays in Monaco" thing? I'm happy this event happens and will try and find the live streaming if possible.
Streaming will be on ACM You Tube page from Friday afternoon
Old 22 Apr 2021, 09:38 (Ref:4047247)   #1206
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Suppose most of UK drivers are so old they will have already been vaccinated!
Old 22 Apr 2021, 09:39 (Ref:4047248)   #1207
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Merci beaucoup Monsieur Crow! Will spread the word (no pun here) at least to some other club Capri members. We need to stay safe and entertained. thanks again.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 09:49 (Ref:4047251)   #1208
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Suppose most of UK drivers are so old they will have already been vaccinated!
It does not work with officials it seems, as said UK scrutineers are missing. They're right not come come in or around France ATM!
I dont see any car there being rejected for non-compliancy though…
Still, I'll have a look to the images, thanks to Mike C's link.
Old 24 Apr 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4047636)   #1209
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Received the entry list for Donington today.
Impressed with those people who are at Monaco this week and Donington next!
Should they ware special insignia so those who are stuck here don’t have to go anywhere near them or will they have completed quarantine?
Sure they are concerned about it!
Old 24 Apr 2021, 10:02 (Ref:4047638)   #1210
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Received the entry list for Donington today.
Impressed with those people who are at Monaco this week and Donington next!
Should they ware special insignia so those who are stuck here don’t have to go anywhere near them or will they have completed quarantine?
Sure they are concerned about it!
I wonder how they are managing that. I see on social media that one driver with three cars says he could got as he was an "elite athlete". Given his age and girth I rather doubt that. Perhaps it's the Mrs Merton question!
Old 24 Apr 2021, 10:03 (Ref:4047639)   #1211
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recall Thruxton last year when a certain "celebrity driver" gladly proclaimed over the pa during an interview, that he'd been racing at Spa on the Saturday and dashed back to race at Thruxton on the Sunday.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4047757)   #1212
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do find it ridiculous that in a huge space like Silverstone, we cannot be allowed to watch our sport, yet you can be in a packed supermarket, or barbers, or garden centre or even in a bloody park and that's fine

It does seem very prejudiced, would have been lovely to watch something this weekend.
Old 26 Apr 2021, 08:09 (Ref:4047859)   #1213
Derwent
Racer

It's difficult to leave the UK even for work at the moment so I wonder who can say you are an "elite athlete" , I am sure that is not in the gift of MSUK but perhaps if you are able to say that you are taking part in the Monaco GP, that swings it with the authorities?
Old 26 Apr 2021, 08:35 (Ref:4047860)   #1214
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It is the gift of MSA if it’s a FIA sanctioned event.
Old 26 Apr 2021, 08:40 (Ref:4047862)   #1215
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Have to see what the government say when they make their next announcement next month. And it does seem quite ridiculous spectators can't see motorsport in the wide open spaces outside. After all, there are spectators at the snooker, why not motorsport?
Old 26 Apr 2021, 08:51 (Ref:4047868)   #1216
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The places now having spectators are controlled events used as tests for suitability of allowing spectators in the future.
These work and you can then go to all these places you miss so much!
Old 26 Apr 2021, 09:11 (Ref:4047871)   #1217
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Have to see what the government say when they make their next announcement next month. And it does seem quite ridiculous spectators can't see motorsport in the wide open spaces outside. After all, there are spectators at the snooker, why not motorsport?

As John says above, these are trial events evaluating how and when other events can be opened up. As said previously, all sports, especially outdoor events, have been lobbying to be treated as special cases so it would be grossly unfair if motor racing was to be considered as extra special. It might be a reminder of when Bernie E. gave Tony Blair a million quid for the Labour Party to give Formula 1 special exemption to carry on with tobacco advertising on the cars, which Blair had to return to FOM but only after it became public.
Old 26 Apr 2021, 18:16 (Ref:4047960)   #1218
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apart from no sides on the awning and virtually 100% mask wearing in "mixed" areas, it was pretty much business as usual at the MSUK race yesterday.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 26 Apr 2021, 18:21 (Ref:4047964)   #1219
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It is the gift of MSA if it’s a FIA sanctioned event.
john’s on it - motorsport uk say that anything on the fia’s calendar of events is elite. there’s some historic stuff specifically named in addition on the government legislation as well as the big uk based series.

it’s not just motorsport with some interesting interpretations of “elite” - there’s some really obscure sporting events listed on said legislation!

it does mean however that you can race in one country then come straight home and take part in another event as long as it’s named or on the calendar and you do the required number of tests after arriving in the uk. they do tell you to quarantine when you aren’t at the event venue or training though.
Old 26 Apr 2021, 19:26 (Ref:4047983)   #1220
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Monaco Historic’s a FIA sanctioned event so all drivers are classified as Elite Sportsman so in order for them to turn up at Donington this weekend.
Old 28 Apr 2021, 10:44 (Ref:4048236)   #1221
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I thought the Monaco historic event was well done and I look forward to the GP there. The Donington event should be able to attract a good number and good quality too
Old 28 Apr 2021, 11:53 (Ref:4048256)   #1222
Derwent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
john’s on it - motorsport uk say that anything on the fia’s calendar of events is elite. there’s some historic stuff specifically named in addition on the government legislation as well as the big uk based series.

it’s not just motorsport with some interesting interpretations of “elite” - there’s some really obscure sporting events listed on said legislation!

it does mean however that you can race in one country then come straight home and take part in another event as long as it’s named or on the calendar and you do the required number of tests after arriving in the uk. they do tell you to quarantine when you aren’t at the event venue or training though.
I wonder if I could ask to be an elite holiday home owner?
Old 28 Apr 2021, 12:33 (Ref:4048264)   #1223
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Donington Historic Festival is being run behind closed doors this weekend, but the event is being live streamed from the start of racing at 13.00 on Saturday (1 May).

www.doningtonhistoric.com
Old 28 Apr 2021, 13:42 (Ref:4048280)   #1224
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
The Donington Historic Festival is being run behind closed doors this weekend, but the event is being live streamed from the start of racing at 13.00 on Saturday (1 May).

www.doningtonhistoric.com
Thanks John
Old 3 May 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4049417)   #1225
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I had reconciled myself to missing these few weekends of motorsport, for the reasons described by other posters and because in the end it's not a major sacrifice.

Having spent today battling through hordes at London Zoo, I am once again feeling very grumpy that I wasn't allowed to be at Brands Hatch on Saturday. Massive crowding, no attempt at social distancing, zero staff marshalling crowds, a one-way system disrupted by random closures and thus causing pinch points. The idea that THIS is allowed while attending any grassroots sport is banned, is just absurd.