Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 2 Jan 2021, 17:17 (Ref:4026459)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brian Jones - Brands Hatch Commentator

Died today as I understand it, mentioned on FB. The voice of Brands Hatch. RIP
Old 2 Jan 2021, 18:46 (Ref:4026473)   #2
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh noooo.... 😞 I last saw him at John Smith’s funeral in Tunbridge Wells and afterwards at Brands Hatch in July 2019. We are losing all these wonderful people who have given us so such pleasure down the years. I hope that all the Brands stalwarts are catching up on all the good times at the circuit in the sky. Rest in Peace Brian xx
Old 2 Jan 2021, 22:15 (Ref:4026497)   #3
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A wonderful tribute to Brian

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.autosport.com/national/news/154424/obituary-brian-jones--19352020/amp/

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 2 Jan 2021 at 22:27.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 23:23 (Ref:4026505)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very good,indeed, thanks for the link. I used to go to Brands a lot in the 80s and Brian's voice was one of those consistent and expected things, whenever I went. I used to enjoy his commentary style a great deal.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 01:11 (Ref:4026510)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I got to know Brian years ago at Brands and he always gave me a fair bit of commentary when he was on the mic and I was racing.
The last time I saw him was about 5/6 years ago after I had stopped racing and I was walking down the pit lane looking for a mate between races, when a familiar voice came over the tannoy saying "I'd recognise that hairy monster anywhere" I was surprised as I didn't think he was still commentating. I found out that he happened to be up in the box and saw me and grabbed the mic. RIP Brian
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Jan 2021, 09:57 (Ref:4026548)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sad news. Never heard his commentary in person, although he did do the early Havoc videos which I have on video and he was very good on those. No doubt he was very much a part of Brands Hatch folklore he was. Very nice obituary on the Autosport site. Some very interesting bits in there I didn't know, like that he played rugby for Gloucester in his younger days and that he gave a certain Mr Edwards his first commentating job

May he RIP
Old 3 Jan 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4026562)   #7
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though I have been away from the sport for 5 years except for the occasional watch on TV, this news has saddened me. Brians's voice was unique as was his enthusiasm for the sport. He could make the dullest of the old British F2 races with three cars sound exiting.

He always mentioned the marshals when we were 'beavering away' as he called it during a clear up.

RIP Brian.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 14:28 (Ref:4026575)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Sad news. Never heard his commentary in person, although he did do the early Havoc videos which I have on video and he was very good on those. No doubt he was very much a part of Brands Hatch folklore he was. Very nice obituary on the Autosport site. Some very interesting bits in there I didn't know, like that he played rugby for Gloucester in his younger days and that he gave a certain Mr Edwards his first commentating job

May he RIP
If I recall correctly, he also gave Trussers his first commentary break too....
Old 3 Jan 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4026581)   #9
AmD Tuning
Rookie

AmD Tuning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never met such a generous man in all my time in motorsport. Brian was always an enthusiastic supporter of the sport and the individuals involved at all levels.
I first met Brian back in the mid '70's when my Dad, Olly, was racing and racedays invariably ended in the Kentagon!
He always had a kind word and cheery smile when we bumped into each other in the Paddock over the last 4 decades.
Whenever Brian said Hi or commentated, when I was racing, he would usually call me "Olly" rather than Shaun! I loved that.
His generosity to up and coming commentators shows the real spirit of the man, the world needs more people like him.
We've lost one of our best.
Thoughts with Ros, Tim, Charlotte and all the family x
Old 4 Jan 2021, 02:54 (Ref:4026643)   #10
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
On Facebook earlier from Tim Jones and the family 😔

Remember Brian giving me lots of advice in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s which I’m eternally grateful for and Ros coming down to Sandown Park Kart Club as John Smith’s guest when he was clerking MSA kart races there.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/602885...4&ref=104&_rdr

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 4 Jan 2021 at 03:23.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 03:38 (Ref:4026645)   #11
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Here’s Brian helping out a driver Tim Lee-Davey with the late Tony Lanfranchi

Must be the late 1970’s or very early 80’s as Tim is 65 now.

Mark Thatcher is in the race.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8g12uz...RjWBDXcGcJ0b0M

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 4 Jan 2021 at 04:00.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 14:53 (Ref:4026718)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Great video.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4026729)   #13
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Great video.
Absolutely, it’s a wonderful BBC film actually made in 1980 with the likes of Sir Stirling Moss and James Hunt appearing. Like Brian Jones, we will NEVER see the likes of them again 😟

PS. It was great to see the old cars and old Brands Hatch too 👍
Old 4 Jan 2021, 16:14 (Ref:4026743)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yep, very good programme from the archives there. Dare I mention Brian Jones appearing in the infamous ‘Driving Ambition?’
Old 4 Jan 2021, 19:19 (Ref:4026790)   #15
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yep, very good programme from the archives there. Dare I mention Brian Jones appearing in the infamous ‘Driving Ambition?’
There we go. Brian at his best 😎

Surely that can’t be Jason Plato playing Donna’s husband? He would have only been 17/18 in 1984!! Maybe it is 🤔 or perhaps he is lying about his age as he seems to have been around forever 😂

https://kzclip.com/video/1H8Fy-ErdEk/the-driving-ambition-mini-special-saloon-car-race.html

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 4 Jan 2021 at 19:36.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 22:27 (Ref:4026838)   #16
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
There we go. Brian at his best 😎

Surely that can’t be Jason Plato playing Donna’s husband? He would have only been 17/18 in 1984!! Maybe it is 🤔 or perhaps he is lying about his age as he seems to have been around forever 😂

https://kzclip.com/video/1H8Fy-ErdEk/the-driving-ambition-mini-special-saloon-car-race.html
Is that Bobby Ball with his head in the car?
Old 4 Jan 2021, 22:35 (Ref:4026840)   #17
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
So so sad, a lovely friendly man, that always stopped for a chat. We used to use his viewing box on the pit straight. He never charged and always promoted our race cars.
Shocked..
My condolences to all the Family.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 12:33 (Ref:4027144)   #18
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Is that Bobby Ball with his head in the car?
Not sure 🤔
Old 11 Jan 2021, 15:01 (Ref:4028173)   #19
JAH
Rookie

Norway
Norway
JAH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
So so sad, a lovely friendly man, that always stopped for a chat. We used to use his viewing box on the pit straight. He never charged and always promoted our race cars.
Shocked..
My condolences to all the Family.
Does anyone have details of Brian’s funeral arrangements, I’m living in Italy and would like to send a floral tribute if appropriate?
Old 13 Jan 2021, 07:59 (Ref:4028582)   #20
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news, RIP Brian.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 01:00 (Ref:4034380)   #21
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Here are details of Brian’s funeral later today

https://brscc.co.uk/details-of-brian-jones-funeral/
Old 10 Feb 2021, 01:58 (Ref:4034385)   #22
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
A place to leave your memories of this wonderful man

https://www.funeralguide.co.uk/obitu...AF5rni8IjNmPQ8
Old 10 Feb 2021, 13:07 (Ref:4034473)   #23
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
You can also watch his funeral service starting at 1.15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
A place to leave your memories of this wonderful man

https://www.funeralguide.co.uk/obitu...AF5rni8IjNmPQ8
Old 10 Feb 2021, 13:56 (Ref:4034481)   #24
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
That was a lovely service just now.

May Brian, John Smith, John Nicol and other legends of Brands Hatch who are sadly no longer with us, be enjoying a pint, a glass or two at that race circuit in the sky. Rest in Peace gentleman, you will always be remembered xx

Paula Hamilton

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 10 Feb 2021 at 14:10.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4034491)   #25
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
If you missed the service today, you can log in here and watch it in around 3 days time.

https://www.obitus.com/

And use this Username: Moza 9591
and Password: 521117

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 10 Feb 2021 at 14:22.