Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Aug 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1387569)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS Extends LMP Regulations

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/A...px?NewsID=1402

As was long rumored, the ALMS extended the current LMP900 and LMP675 cars as well as SRP's into 2006 with hybrids allowed to race into 2007. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in terms of new LMP entries for 2006 in the ALMS.

Unfortunately, no word on what the form of the old cars will run under; i.e. in current form (unrestricted) or as they are run in the LMES and Le Mans right now (smaller restrictors, 50 kgs of added weight, smaller rear wing)
Old 21 Aug 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1387579)   #2
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope they keep the current formula, as far as we already see, for example in LMP2 the battles between the Hybrid Courages and the full LMP2 Spec Lolas are pretty close

I would love to see the Lister Hybrid or the full spec LMP1 Lister car next year when i go to Sebring...
Old 21 Aug 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1387585)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What was suggested by IMSA to the ACO was that they run in restricted form, but less restricted than the current ACO regs (which aren't being applied here anyway). So the R8s would run faster than they did at Le Mans, but still slower than they are this year in the ALMS.

To be truthful, this is aimed only at Champion.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Aug 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1387592)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
As was long rumored, the ALMS extended the current LMP900 and LMP675 cars as well as SRP's into 2006 with hybrids allowed to race into 2007.
Good decision.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1387607)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Something had to be done for Champion, but I can't see this move attracting any new (old reg) cars, seeing as Creation/Zytek are building hybrids.

Will Dyson run their new Lolas?
Old 21 Aug 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1387620)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I understand why IMSA has done this, but I hope it doesn't deter teams from running new cars. After all, they ought not to be penalised for conforming to the existing ACO regs. I think IMSA will have to penalise old cars sufficiently that new cars don't get beaten more than occasionally by the Audis.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1387626)   #7
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
RobertPrange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think this decision is right. Sure , it keeps Champion in the series but it probably scares away teams that might planned in buying an LMP1 like the upcoming Riley car.

Why would any team invest in a new car when Champion is still allowed to run the R8? This move seperates the ALMS another step from the european LMES/Le Mans racing.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1387627)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only way for ALMS to survive, really.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1387629)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the new reg cars are reliable they should have the beating of the R8.

If they are not reliable do they deserve to win.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1387630)   #10
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
The only way for ALMS to survive, really.
I dont see that...its only in favour of one team...they dont get other old LMP900s back on track.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1387632)   #11
Laurent
Rookie

France
20 km away from Paris (France)
Laurent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Unfortunately, no word on what the form of the old cars will run under; i.e. in current form (unrestricted) or as they are run in the LMES and Le Mans right now (smaller restrictors, 50 kgs of added weight, smaller rear wing)
Help me, please. I'm not sure about the meaning of one of the paragraphs of this article.

This bulletin means that cars like the Audi R8, and the Lola EX257 and B2K/40, as well as cars like the factory Zytek and others running in European competition, will be allowed to run in the American Le Mans Series next year. IMSA, the sanctioning body of the ALMS, has mandated that the cars will run based on the ACO-specified configuration for 2005. Certain specific configurations are covered in various IMSA bulletins.

Doesn't that mean that the P900 and P675 will run in 2005 specifications ? +50 kg for P900, +45 kg for P675 and -5% for air restrictors dimensions ?
Old 21 Aug 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1387634)   #12
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPrange
I dont think this decision is right. Sure , it keeps Champion in the series but it probably scares away teams that might planned in buying an LMP1 like the upcoming Riley car.

Why would any team invest in a new car when Champion is still allowed to run the R8? This move seperates the ALMS another step from the european LMES/Le Mans racing.

I think this comment is pretty far off base. While it appears that the restrictions on the R8 will be less than it is for LMES this year.. one would suggest that there are many cars that are the match on pace of the R8 currently.

I think the prospect of having to run against the R9/R10 is more a deterent than a penalized R8. Besides, all potential entrants know full well that Champion could have a new car by mid year next year, and certainly there is the prospect that Audi could run the new car full year under Joest.

While I appreciate what Mr. Collins has stated above in that this is aimed at Champion... that may be the priority of the plan, but also it is aimed at attracting Jota, the Factory Zytek, the Dallaras...... who would have no other place to run.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1387636)   #13
RobertPrange
Racer

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund

While I appreciate what Mr. Collins has stated above in that this is aimed at Champion... that may be the priority of the plan, but also it is aimed at attracting Jota, the Factory Zytek, the Dallaras...... who would have no other place to run.
Rollcentre Racing is switching to Radical LMP2s next year while Jota & the other Zyteks will be converted to LMP1-Hybrid at least.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1387643)   #14
tblincoe
Veteran

I somehow missed that Laurent... the current LMPs would have to run in 2005 LMES/Le Mans configuration after all which is a good move IMO. That should mean Dyson would be best to run its new B06/10 AER's next year.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1387647)   #15
Laurent
Rookie

France
20 km away from Paris (France)
Laurent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you
Old 21 Aug 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1387653)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
Marco Werner was just talking about running the R8 'for a couple of races' next year.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1387725)   #17
Spiteful
Racer

Belgium
Spiteful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think this comment is pretty far off base. While it appears that the restrictions on the R8 will be less than it is for LMES this year.. one would suggest that there are many cars that are the match on pace of the R8 currently.

I think the prospect of having to run against the R9/R10 is more a deterent than a penalized R8.
True, and I also would expect that teams buying for example a new riley are planning on running it longer than one year...
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1387777)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is a difficult one. It would be good to move on to the new regs. Keeping the other cars going may well discourage others from joining. In addition it isn't ideal to have more than one set of rules. However you have to balance that with putting on races with full grids. Tricky.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1387808)   #19
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPrange
Rollcentre Racing is switching to Radical LMP2s next year while Jota & the other Zyteks will be converted to LMP1-Hybrid at least.
.... and is looking at finding partners to run the Dallara's in North America.

This release says the rules are "based on", not "equal too". When I talked with IMSA about the rules they submitted to the ACO, they proposed penalities less stringent than used in the LMES this year.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1388123)   #20
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Where did the Jota news come from ?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1388132)   #21
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.... and is looking at finding partners to run the Dallara's in North America.

This release says the rules are "based on", not "equal too". When I talked with IMSA about the rules they submitted to the ACO, they proposed penalities less stringent than used in the LMES this year.
I actually expected this to happen. Don't be surprised that we see them use the 05 restictors but the 04 weight rules or just the 04 rules all together.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1388385)   #22
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keeps Dave Maraj in until Audi let him have whatever they're building, and, perhaps more significantly, means that even though they're also going GA racing, Dyson don't have to splash out on new ALMS cars and can keep going with their Lolas.

It's a last-ditch attempt to save the ALMS as a prototype series.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1388408)   #23
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fenelon
Keeps Dave Maraj in until Audi let him have whatever they're building, and, perhaps more significantly, means that even though they're also going GA racing, Dyson don't have to splash out on new ALMS cars and can keep going with their Lolas.

It's a last-ditch attempt to save the ALMS as a prototype series.
Your assesment on Champion is correct, but the regs extension are in no way aimed at Dyson.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1388422)   #24
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Your assesment on Champion is correct, but the regs extension are in no way aimed at Dyson.
...but it certainly makes it cheaper for them to keep a foot in both camps!
Old 22 Aug 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1388497)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
Dyson have already signed up for the new Lola havent they?

Why would they want to keep their current cars?