Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Mar 2021, 13:37 (Ref:4042077)   #76
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
tell ya what - you get 2 weeks for free
you have lots of questions so why not sign up and see.... costs nothing if you choose not to continue
Just asking opinions cus I dont think anything matches Fox (which I have) but looking at my options............Good idea, maybe I will
Old 21 Mar 2021, 22:35 (Ref:4042140)   #77
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Just asking opinions cus I dont think anything matches Fox (which I have) but looking at my options............Good idea, maybe I will
Do you run out of storage space on the IQ box?
Old 22 Mar 2021, 00:47 (Ref:4042146)   #78
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by draussen View Post
Well done 7, starting the way they probably plan to continue, the highlights were 45 minutes late in Melbourne. Even with 30 minutes of recording tagged on the end my recording ended at lap 30 of 36. Given the way they treated cricket, this is probably some sort of passive-aggressive attempt to get a 150% discount on the rights costs. No doubt the next live event will be shown upside down.
Were 7 even contractually obliged to show this round? Originally it was going to be shown live on Channel 10
Old 22 Mar 2021, 04:04 (Ref:4042155)   #79
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I have had issues in the past with that but not in general use. I tend to auto record series I follow (non motorsport stuff as well) and also auto record every session of F1 and Supercars. I just clearout the practice sessions and qualifying (keeping races) every couple of weeks.

I have got a bit more ruthless of late with what I delete because I discovered much of what I had recorded and stored in the IQ hard drive is available to stream on call, so no need for me to use my storage up. Since I worked that one out storage has never been an issue.

Any problems with running low on storage space have generally been down to my hoarding tendencies!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 04:36 (Ref:4042157)   #80
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
No but ive gone close, generally its 50% full
Old 23 Aug 2023, 00:16 (Ref:4173709)   #81
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even Roland Dane, who has historically been a Mark Skaife supporter, has noted how awful the commentary is in his Speedcafe column, The Crompton / Larkham / Skaife bromance is very tedious.
Old 23 Aug 2023, 01:16 (Ref:4173712)   #82
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
Even Roland Dane, who has historically been a Mark Skaife supporter, has noted how awful the commentary is in his Speedcafe column, The Crompton / Larkham / Skaife bromance is very tedious.
Yeah I was quite shocked to read that but I definitely agree - watching the current Supercars broadcast is like deja vu all over again as far as the commentary is concerned. I've been hearing the same jokes, the same cliches etc for what feels like two decades. Definitely time to move on, not to mention Skaifes conflict of interest makes it a no brainier.

The rest of the production is perfect though, really top tier
Old 23 Aug 2023, 02:27 (Ref:4173714)   #83
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highly unlikely to get much change in the commentary any time soon.

It’s a state run broadcast (disgracefully) where everything is always fantastic and rosy in Supercars land. Skaife is in with RACE so he won’t lose his gig. AirTime has a relationship with Supercars so Crompton isn’t going anywhere, Larko is mates with them, Neylon works for Crompton from memory…..the only ones in any danger of losing their jobs would he Tander and Jess Yates!

You can’t imagine the AFL or NRL being allowed to control & produce their own media lock stock and barrel like Supercars do…..or maybe it shows where Supercars sits that the likes of Fox Sports and Ch7 are happy to take a Supercars Media production rather than produce it their own coverage with their own pundits, and independent production, like they do with AFL and NRL.
Old 23 Aug 2023, 07:25 (Ref:4173726)   #84
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
You can’t imagine the AFL or NRL being allowed to control & produce their own media lock stock and barrel like Supercars do…..or maybe it shows where Supercars sits that the likes of Fox Sports and Ch7 are happy to take a Supercars Media production rather than produce it their own coverage with their own pundits, and independent production, like they do with AFL and NRL.
Well of course both 7 & TEN produced their own coverage of Supercars but like many other sports, Supercars now produces its own & provides it to the broadcasters. The drive to produce its own came about due to offshore broadcast deals, so that the commentary continued during add breaks here for those watching in other countries.
Old 23 Aug 2023, 09:39 (Ref:4173736)   #85
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The commentary is so bad it long ago rendered Supercars on TV unwatchable for me.Maybe I’d watch 1-2 races a year but that’s it.
Skaife is the worlds worst commentator.A commentary vocabulary of about 10 cliches.Blokey humour that comes from another era.And that’s even before we get to his untenable conflict of interest.
Crompton was a good commentator once.By his own admission in his book after he criticised some drivers and officials at Winton 20 years ago he has been careful to never say anything that would upset anyone ever again.Useless with a backside full of splinters.
I would keep Neylon,Tander,Yates and Larkham.Find some new blood.I heard Ambrose was good but I’ve never watched any of the rounds he has done.Let them off the leash to give honest opinions rather than Supercars public relations propaganda.Supercars are probably losing more viewers who are turned off by banal hype than they risk losing by not pretending that everything is wonderful all the time.
Old 27 Aug 2023, 09:45 (Ref:4174138)   #86
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'm quite surprised by the negativity to be honest. Mark Skaife is a bit 'samey'and Neylon a bit shouty and bland but i still think Crompton is one of the best commentators or broadcasters around.

Compared to people like Croft and Jacques who do the F1/F2 and Martin Haven who are patronising and are truly awful!

I think Crompo is one of the better ones along with Ben Edwards, Leigh Diffey and David Addison.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 04:12 (Ref:4174310)   #87
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'm quite surprised by the negativity to be honest. Mark Skaife is a bit 'samey'and Neylon a bit shouty and bland but i still think Crompton is one of the best commentators or broadcasters around.

Compared to people like Croft and Jacques who do the F1/F2 and Martin Haven who are patronising and are truly awful!

I think Crompo is one of the better ones along with Ben Edwards, Leigh Diffey and David Addison.
From now on count when he says anything critical about anyone or anything.Don’t do it as a drinking game or you’ll be teetotal.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 08:02 (Ref:4174319)   #88
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why don't they bring in Richard "Craillsy" Craill as race commentator alongside expert commentator Neil Crompton?

You don't need two expert commentators as they'll end up talking about tyre temperatures for the whole race...
Old 28 Aug 2023, 09:41 (Ref:4174337)   #89
one five five
Veteran

Craill would fit in. He is all PR and “everything is always awesome”, similar to Greg Rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Why don't they bring in Richard "Craillsy" Craill as race commentator alongside expert commentator Neil Crompton?

You don't need two expert commentators as they'll end up talking about tyre temperatures for the whole race...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Any negativity I have is based around the fact it isn’t independent commentary, they are all employed to “commentate” by the series which in effect makes them cheerleaders and PR mouth pieces, not commentators.

See the ignoring of major topics on the broadcast this year that we’re major talking points but we’re possibly negative about Supercars. They don’t touch them.

Compare that with Fox Sports coverage of AFL and NRL. Completely different and independent.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 09:52 (Ref:4174343)   #90
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, that's quite annoying how much Skaife and Crompton avoid the p-word for example. As much as the parity is controversial and Ford fans say Mustang is clearly at a disadvantage while GM fans say Mustang teams are just crap, this debate is still one of the biggest talking points of the whole year. Skaife and Crompton have avoided it completely, which clearly shows their one-sided approach to things. Remember when Skaife, during one of the events, was commenting on a manoeuvre/start (don't remember what it was exactly) and he very purposefully used word 'equal' a few times to shut down any debate about the parity even though it was at the height of the parity shambles. So yeah, that's really really annoying.
Taking this out of equation though, I'd say both Crompo and Skaife are good to listen to when it comes to things that are happening on the track.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 10:08 (Ref:4174347)   #91
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
From now on count when he says anything critical about anyone or anything.Don’t do it as a drinking game or you’ll be teetotal.
Lol that is a cracking post!!!!
Old 28 Aug 2023, 10:12 (Ref:4174349)   #92
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Yeah, that's quite annoying how much Skaife and Crompton avoid the p-word for example. As much as the parity is controversial and Ford fans say Mustang is clearly at a disadvantage while GM fans say Mustang teams are just crap, this debate is still one of the biggest talking points of the whole year. Skaife and Crompton have avoided it completely, which clearly shows their one-sided approach to things. Remember when Skaife, during one of the events, was commenting on a manoeuvre/start (don't remember what it was exactly) and he very purposefully used word 'equal' a few times to shut down any debate about the parity even though it was at the height of the parity shambles. So yeah, that's really really annoying.
Taking this out of equation though, I'd say both Crompo and Skaife are good to listen to when it comes to things that are happening on the track.
I agree about the avoiding negativity points but like you suggest, Crompo's commentary is good, and his overall broadcasting quality is good.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 10:50 (Ref:4174361)   #93
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

Besides Skaife who is just hopeless it’s more the blandness of the coverage as much as the personnel.
Compare Richard’s What’s Hot And What’s Not reports on Speed Series and Supercars rounds on The Race Torque web site with the banal guff that passes for Supercars (and Speed Series for that matter) TV commentary.The What’s Not section doesn’t get a start.
Those broadcasters have decided that their audience are mushrooms who have parked their critical faculties.As pointed out above the major football codes don’t take this approach and certainly haven’t driven their audiences away by not pretending that everything is wonderful all of the time.
Old 29 Aug 2023, 08:41 (Ref:4174468)   #94
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crompton always found him to be very good commentator.

Skaife, can get a bit socially excited or maybe somebody has spiked his red cordial.

Larko, again very good at the job.

Tander and Lowndes always good to get input from a current driver.

Ambrose good at the job, but apparently a former HRT driver/team owner was apparently pretty filthy that he got the gig at Symmons Plains.
Old 5 Sep 2023, 07:04 (Ref:4175239)   #95
mf51
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
mf51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do rate Crompo and Skaife highly but I feel it’s time to refresh the commentators.

I was a fan of Paul Morris as a pit lane reporter too, despite only doing a couple rounds, it would be good to see him back.
Old 5 Sep 2023, 12:15 (Ref:4175270)   #96
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf51 View Post
I do rate Crompo and Skaife highly but I feel it’s time to refresh the commentators.

I was a fan of Paul Morris as a pit lane reporter too, despite only doing a couple rounds, it would be good to see him back.
I think Paul Morris is too busy race day these days with his protege's

I like Ambrose too but he is also busy.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 04:20 (Ref:4175634)   #97
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was watching a few of the Mike Raymond-era races recently.. Mr Moffat was a very good voice in the box, as straight man and technical person. Sadly he won’t be back

Mr Gover is in AA this week also suggesting Mr Skaife has similarities to Eddie Maguire.. and that it’s time for a change…
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Sep 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4175669)   #98
one five five
Veteran

Gover himself was good at the V8 pit reporting on TV when he didn’t

He spoke honestly about what was happening instead of favourably about what was happening, so unsurprisingly he didn’t last.

Why did Supercars never tap into Andy Raymond when they joined Foxtel?
Old 22 Sep 2023, 11:41 (Ref:4177777)   #99
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought Craig Dontas did an excellent job commentating on the SuperUte races at Sandown.

The talent is out there.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 01:38 (Ref:4177872)   #100
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jack should replace Skaife IMHO