Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jan 2004, 15:44 (Ref:842418)   #126
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Writing about Pergusa 1977 I'm now going off-topic, please excuse me.....
I went through Autosprint (Italian motorsport weekly) and found out that at Pergusa 1977 there were three "Capoferri" Lolas:
-the Casoni-Manfredini car, apparently a T380 (for sure it wore a 380 bodywork....), probably the "Arrigoni" car
-a 3 litre class T286, powered by a 2.1 l. turbocharged Cosworth engine, practiced by Capoferri and Gottifredi, who was probably involved in the engine preparation
-a 2 litre T296 for Ghislotti and Camathias
All the cars sported Gulf sponsorship, the three liters being probably white (b/w pictures) while, if memory doesn't fail me, the 2 litre was Gulf blue.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 16:34 (Ref:842446)   #127
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks again Fausto for clearing up those inaccuracies.

Wouldn't worry too much about going off-topic, we've done that a fair bit on this thread, so it's a bit of a general 3-litre Lola thread now!
Old 8 Mar 2004, 00:50 (Ref:897610)   #128
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Michael Oliver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just noticed that Corrado Manfredini is listed as being entered in the 1000km Imola 4/6/74 in a T282 by 'Scuderia Brescia Corse', rather than Jolly Club, who he raced for at other times in the season. Is that a 'nom de plume' for Jolly Club?

Incidentally, apparently a second T282 was entered for the same event but did not appear, for Pianta/Pica, the regular Jolly Club pairing that year - perhaps because Manfredini got the nod (or had the wads!?).

Manfredini also appeared at the Nurburgring Interserie 8/9/74 and finished 5th in a T282, entered by Jolly Club. This T282 is presumably the one reported to be the ex-Gitanes works car from 1973, which is (IIRC) HU06 - I think Alain can confirm this as he actually has a build date for this car?

Two weeks later, Lella Lombardi finished 3rd in the Jolly Club T282 at the Casale Interserie. In the same race, Heinz Schulthess came 7th in a 'T284'. So at least we know they cannot be the same cars. Purely conjecture here, but maybe the wreck of the prototype T282 (HU05, crashed and apparently written off, Kyalami late 72) hung around for a while and was then rebuilt as a one-off T284 for the 74 season for Schulthess?

Next, a T282 is listed at not classified for the 1000km of Mugello 23/3/75 for "Pibo"/Gallo. No entrant listed but maybe this was the Jolly Club T282?

Schulthess is then listed in the results of the 800km Dijon 6/4/75, driving a 'T282' with Herve Bayard, as a DNF.

Schulthess still had his car 13/4/75 as he finished 2nd in an Interserie race at Hockenheim, although it is reported as a 'T284' again.

A week later, Brambilla/Pianta DNF in the 1000km Monza 20/4/75 in a T282 entered by the Jolly Club. Same car entered but DNA (presumably Jolly Club again) at the Coppa Florio at Enna, 18/5/75.

In the same 1000km Monza, 20/4/75, there is an interesting confluence, with Schulthess teaming up with Manfredini in a 'T284' entered by Gulf Switzerland. Car DNF.

For the 1000km Spa, 4/5/75, a T284 was driven by Belgians Christine Beckers and Willie Braillard, entered by Chappee RTS and DNF. Maybe they rented the car from Schulthess for the race?

Then Kurt Hild (is he the guy who was involved in the Rodriguez accident?) is listed as driving a T284S (not sure what the 'S' stands for?) 17/8/75 Interserie at Kassel-Calden. Again, perhaps he rented this from Schulthess?

Then in 1976, Schulthess entered his T284 for the 300km of Nurburgring, although I'm not clear about the date of this race. Then he drove with Francois Migault in the 200km of Salzburgring, data not sure, perhaps Sept 76, and DNF.

Only appearance for T280/2/4 in Interserie in 1976 was our friend Jorg Zaborowski, trying out his newly-purchased ex-Lord T280 HU04 in the round at Mainz-Finthen 24/10/76.

In 1977, Lombardi/Pianta DNF in a 'T282' at the 500km Monza 24/4/77, entered by Pianta, while Manfredini/Ghislotti were entered in a 'T282' but DNA, reportedly entered by Manfredini. Presumably the Lombardi/Pianta car was still the ex-Gitanes HU06?

Then on 2/6/77, 400km Vallelunga, Lombardi DNF in a T282, while Manfredini was reportedly entered in a T284 (to be borrowed from his co-driver of the prevoius year Schulthess perhaps?) but DNA.

Then, as Jeremy has already mentioned, Casoni/Manfredini (that man again!) teamed up in a 'T282' to finish 5th in the Coppa Florio at Enna, 19/6/77, entered by Citta dei Mille. Now Fausto has reported that this was actually a T380, so perhaps this is a T282 red herring?

So this would/should leave us with four T280s (HU01-4), two T282s (HU05/6) one of which (HU05?) was perhaps rebuilt for 1974 as a one-off T284. Then the T286 run began at HU07?

Lastly, just a small point Jeremy: I see you talk about Schulthess's car being referred to variously as either a T284 or T286. I've not seen it referred to as a T286 (not that that means much!) but I have seen one reference calling it a T282. Most, however, call it a T284.

Maybe this helps to clear one or two things up?

Cheers

Michael
Old 8 Mar 2004, 10:29 (Ref:897879)   #129
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Michael,

Thanks for the long post! I'd been through a lot of the stuff you've mentioned already, but with no real conclusions.

However (Using "Time & Two seats", among other refs):

Mugello 75: Pibo/Gallo's car type is perhaps doubtful, as the car ran in the 130cc class (Italian champ. class I think), so may have been a a T29*, or anything really!

Spa 75: The Beckers/Brailliard T284 was Schulthess' chassis. He was originally nominated as a driver.

I mus admit I tend a bit wary of some DNAs, as they can be a replacement number for the same car that did turn up, or a figment of someone's wishful thinking....

As I mentioned, Schulthess' car was delivered just before LM74, so either of the hypotheses we've put forward previously may work for this. This car is (I think, possibly, maybe) now at the same museum as the fairly tatty-looking ex-Mallock T280 that we saw a while ago in this thread, it would be nice if someone could shed some light on it.

Then there was a T286 driven by Renzo Zorzi in 1979-81...

Cheers

Jeremy
Old 8 Mar 2004, 11:07 (Ref:897915)   #130
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Jeremy

Yes, I agree totally about the DNA thing, often that car did appear at the race with a different crew, so they are not two different cars but the same one.

Good that you could confirm about Schulthess's car being used at Spa.

Regards

Michael
Old 18 Mar 2004, 00:34 (Ref:908780)   #131
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Well, apparently, Fox Motorsports have T280 chassis numbers 2 & 5 for sale in this month's Motor Sport. This is a remarkable feat since I understand that it was chassis 2 that Bonnier crashed at Le Mans in 1972, while I have always believed that only four T280s were built... Oh well, I'm prepared to be proved wrong - no doubt Fox can provide a detailed race-by-race history to prove the provenance of the cars they have for sale.

Another interesting snippet from Motor Sport. In a piece about the ADA sportscar, they talk about how the original ADA was based on a '1974 Lola sports car'. I wonder what type? Anybody have any ideas?
Old 18 Mar 2004, 07:22 (Ref:908928)   #132
fausto
Veteran

Wales
I remember reading that ADA 01 was based on a Lola raced by Dorset Racing, somewhere they said T3**, although I don't recall a similar chassis raced by Dorset....

Re to march 8 Michael post I can say that there wasn't apparently any relation between Jolly Club and Scuderia CittÃ* dei Mille.

Probably, during 1974-5 in Italy two 3 litre Lola were raced, a series 2, the Lavazza/Arrigoni car, used sometime by others, and the series 3 used by Pianta and Brambilla at Nurburgring in '75 and the following year by "Pam", Casoni and Capoferri. I remember for sure that Italian weekly "Autosprint" wrote, some weeks after the Monza 1000, about Brambilla and Pianta receiving a brand new Lola (so it wasn't a bodywork update only....).
I also remember about Capoferri being not very happy with T380 and the team, run by Gianfranco Bielli (later in F.3000 with Crypton, Autosport Racing and others).
Infact the following year he went his own way, becoming Italian Lola distributor....
Old 18 Mar 2004, 10:13 (Ref:909070)   #133
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the ADA front I also recall it being described a sbased on an ex-Dorset Lola. Apart from being perhpas the ugliest Group C ever, it always reminded me of a T380/390 series, rather than a 280/290. I agree with Fausto here, did Dorset ever have a T3-- series Lola, I thought they only had a couple of 290s or similar ??
Old 18 Mar 2004, 11:00 (Ref:909115)   #134
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the ADA (we do mean the red white & blue car?) was based on a De Cadanet which in turn was in part based on a Lola?

ADA
Old 18 Mar 2004, 11:22 (Ref:909134)   #135
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Maybe they put the T3**/De Cadenet body on a T2** chassis...
I remember reading somewhere that they used a Porsche 906 windscreen and turned it 90°.
In my opinion it was not that ugly though.....

O.T.: when ADA bought the Gebhardt the car was sold to Francy Jerancic from Jugoslavia, that fitted a Porsche flat 6 atmospheric engine, and offered drives in the car through Autosport and Autosprint.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 13:11 (Ref:909258)   #136
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Kojima_KE007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Oliver
Well, apparently, Fox Motorsports have T280 chassis numbers 2 & 5 for sale in this month's Motor Sport. This is a remarkable feat since I understand that it was chassis 2 that Bonnier crashed at Le Mans in 1972, while I have always believed that only four T280s were built... Oh well, I'm prepared to be proved wrong - no doubt Fox can provide a detailed race-by-race history to prove the provenance of the cars they have for sale.
Michael,

That is very interesting.

Fox Motorsports currently owns two T280s, No.02 and No.05 and we have No.03. If they are correct, then the one in Rosso Bianco must be No.04...
Old 18 Mar 2004, 15:58 (Ref:909404)   #137
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

The references in LM yearbooks to the ADA 01 being de Cadenet-based are apparently somehat wide of the mark.
It was apparently based on a "1974 Group 6 Lola showcar" (2-litre I think), without any previous race history. It used the side "pontoons" from the Lola chassis, the rest of the monocoque being fabricted by Marchant & Cox.

It was sold to Yugoslavia, may have been the "Lola-Mazda" used in Interserie by Fredy Jerancic (and w-o early in 1989)

Motor Sport has just arrived to-day, so I'll be interested to see the T280 advert...

Last edited by Jeremy Jackson; 18 Mar 2004 at 15:59.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 16:17 (Ref:909417)   #138
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All the cars sported Gulf sponsorship, the three liters being probably white (b/w pictures) while, if memory doesn't fail me, the 2 litre was Gulf blue.
Just come across this rather scruffy picture of a Gulf Lola.

Quote:
"1974 Group 6 Lola showcar" (2-litre I think)
Would such a car have existed? why would lola build a show car?
Attached Thumbnails
gulf1.jpg  
Old 18 Mar 2004, 17:38 (Ref:909499)   #139
fausto
Veteran

Wales
It's one of the Italian Lola, the track is Monza (main straight chicane), Rondini was the northern Italy Gulf distributor that used to be a motor racing sponsor. Drivers were possibly Ghislotti and Camathias (the father of Joel), I'll check. More, eventually, later....
Old 18 Mar 2004, 17:52 (Ref:909503)   #140
fausto
Veteran

Wales
At Monza in 1977 Pianta and Lella Lombardi drove a T282 Lola, the car pictured doesn't have a snorkel (so it could be a 2 litre), the helmet seems to be Lella Lombardi's though....
Old 19 Mar 2004, 10:49 (Ref:910537)   #141
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got my MS. The pictures of the Lolas in the Fox advert don't look like T280s to me. Are we sure they are real 3-litre Lolas, without wishing to doubt what Fox is saying of course...
Old 19 Mar 2004, 18:29 (Ref:911004)   #142
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Fausto/Nordic

In the 1977 Monza 1000kms, Lombardi/Pianta drove car no 15, described as a Lola T282, so I think here is our answer...

Very few of the DFVs ran a 'snorkel'/airbox apart from the Bonnier car in Austria 72 (maybe Watkins Glen, can't remember) and the same car when it ran in the hands of Daniel Rouveyran in 1973, so I don't think the lack of an airbox would point to it being a 2-litre car.

Here's a point to throw into the ring. Very early on in the thread, Alain Hache said that his notes said the car which appeared at Rouen in Oct 72 (described as the prototype T282 in the Autosport report) could well have carried the chassis number T280/2. This could be interpreted in two ways: firstly that it was an interim car (e.g. with the T280 body but some subtle modifications under the skin, which is what was implied in the AS report) or, secondly, that this was the car's actual chassis number and that it had utilised the chassis number from JoBo's Le Mans car.

The reason I suggest this is that it was quite common in those days because team's needed to have customs carnets to transport cars around, so if they had the carnet for a particular chassis (in this case T280/2 or HU02, whatever you want to call it) they would build a new car but put a chassis plate on to match the paperwork.

Supposing this was true? The car was then shipped to South Africa, where Jean-Louis Lafosse rolled it in practice and damaged it enough to prevent it being repaired for the race at Kyalami. But by all accounts, it doesn't seem like it was that badly damaged and anyway the race report says that it was insured. It was very rare to throw away a car in those days (even it was insured) so I am almost sure it would have been repaird and sold on. Whether or not it was sold on with the same chassis plate as the Kyalami car, given that it had been the subject of an insurance claim is another matter entirely, of course!

Supposing this car was rebuilt during the winter of 1972/1973 and sold to a customer? Reading through the thread again, I note that a second T282 run by Jolly Club appeared at Dijon 73, running a 3-litre Capri V6 engine - could this be the same car? Perhaps it was later refitted with a DFV and is the one which is being advertised by Fox Motorsports in this month's Motor Sport? Might it also be the car that was reported to be in Italy by Kojima_KE007?

The only problem with this theory is that I am sure Alain has told me that T282 HU06 was built in Jan 1973 and that this was the car run by Filipinetti with Gitanes sponsorship on behalf of the works that season. In which case, which car is HU05 (also advertised this month by Fox!)??? The Schulthess car, perhaps?

Also, I have been told (to support something someone said in an earlier post) that the car Blaton owned was T282 HU06, so this would seem to be the ex-works Gitanes car. However, I believe it at one time had a chassis plate saying it was a T286 and it was only when it came to a well-known UK restorer that it was correctly identified and the FIA papers were changed.

I believe a while back in this thread that PHDM suggested that there was a question mark over the other car Blaton owned, which is apparently owned now by someone in France called Ivan Maier/Meyer/Mayer. For obvious reasons I couldn't possibly comment on that statement but I thought I'd bring it to your attention once more.

Apparently, the 'Broman car' (which we believe to be HU01) has been sold the US.

Right, that's my lot - over to you!

Michael
Old 19 Mar 2004, 21:57 (Ref:911187)   #143
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Just to add a little confusion, and partly answer Dan's query... the car pictured in the MS advert as 05 (i.e the silver one) was raced in some of the 1999 RJB Thundersports(by Chris Fox I think), and entered as... a T284. Which, scarily, would fit Michael's hypothesis above about the Schulthess car!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 00:37 (Ref:911330)   #144
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Here's a photo of said Lola, courtesy Autosport (I think)
Attached Thumbnails
t284_silv19990501.jpg  
Old 21 Mar 2004, 09:28 (Ref:913650)   #145
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael,

Quote:

Also, I have been told (to support something someone said in an earlier post) that the car Blaton owned was T282 HU06, so this would seem to be the ex-works Gitanes car. However, I believe it at one time had a chassis plate saying it was a T286 and it was only when it came to a well-known UK restorer that it was correctly identified and the FIA papers were changed.
When entered in the Poulain auction the car was described as a T282.

Quote:

I believe a while back in this thread that PHDM suggested that there was a question mark over the other car Blaton owned, which is apparently owned now by someone in France called Ivan Maier/Meyer/Mayer. For obvious reasons I couldn't possibly comment on that statement but I thought I'd bring it to your attention once more.

The suspect car was indeed T286/7.
I also heard it went to France.
You probably mean Yvan Mahé (www.equipeeurope.com).
Old 21 Mar 2004, 19:47 (Ref:914203)   #146
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
PHDM

Re the T282, yes, I guess the Poulain auction took place after it had been 'reclassified'.

T286/7 - is that the other car entered in the auction? I remember seeing some photos from the auction (perhaps of both cars, even?) that somebody posted but I'm blowed if I can find them anywhere in this thread - any ideas anyone?

I did indeed mean Yvan Mahe - my pathetic phonetic attempt at writing down his name was obviously some way wide of the mark but at least someone understood who I meant!

Can't find any mention of the car on his site, though...

Michael
Old 21 Mar 2004, 19:51 (Ref:914208)   #147
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

The ex-Lapeyre T286 is now racing in HSR events in the USA, as of last year, any thoughts where this came from?
Old 21 Mar 2004, 22:46 (Ref:914383)   #148
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Quote:
The ex-Lapeyre T286 is now racing in HSR events in the USA, as of last year, any thoughts where this came from?
Which chassis did Lapeyre drive - HU08 or HU09?

Michael
Old 21 Mar 2004, 23:08 (Ref:914424)   #149
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

I'd given it 08 in my database, ONLY because I felt the need to assign reference nos to these devices (and for no other reason - i.e I've no facts to back up the number assignment!). So I'm willing to be proved wrong.

I guess we'll need another summary soon...
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:16 (Ref:915125)   #150
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Jeremy

I know what you mean about needing another summary - I've even confused myself now!

Is there any reason why the Lapeyre car couldn't have been HU07? After all, wasn't it the first T286 to appear, or was it just the first T286 to race at Le Mans?

Michael
Closed Thread