Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Feb 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3369685)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think the trs thing is showing up his lack of single seater racecraft. lapping =/= overtaking, you hear that time and time again from guys who go single seaters to endurance and it goes both ways.

i think given his insane pace (and his personality), everyone is completely right to have a long term view. he's obviously delivering to someone's expectations somewhere.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3369831)   #27
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Bull for the past few years has been more about marketing than talent. That's not to say that some marketing friendly choices haven't/won't end up being correct. In this particular case clearly Mardenborough needs time to fully develop, we have no idea of his potential yet.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3369889)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
2 sides to this one: Great opportunity for him to push on but on the other what happens if it doesn't work out? Would Nissan re sign him in GT or prototypes?
Old 19 Feb 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3369998)   #29
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Don't understand the Mardenborough thing either. I get that he has a great story, but the single seater results haven't been stellar. He should have won TRS this year really. Yet he's great in GTs from what I can tell and genuinely impressed in the 3.5 car. Strange
According to one of the posters on the thread it was all staged how he won the GT Academy.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/19...mardenborough/
Old 19 Feb 2014, 12:09 (Ref:3370053)   #30
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy is still very inexperienced, but he has shown great speed. This will be his 2nd season in single-seaters. For some reason he's not really good in the races or may be not consistent, which is strange, because most sim racers on converting to real racing are slow in qualy and good at racing. He's the opposite.
I think he'll be close to the top and hopefully with the new changes the racing in GP3 will be again great
Old 19 Feb 2014, 12:14 (Ref:3370055)   #31
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
According to one of the posters on the thread it was all staged how he won the GT Academy.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/19...mardenborough/
There are truly 1000s sim racers who are most probably better than him! And I'm talking for young kids, but PlayStation just isn't the platform...
Old 19 Feb 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3370075)   #32
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i thought the point of it was to find someone who was quick, but ultimately passed all the tests and was the best candidate for proper racing? if it was just about who was fastest on the sim then they'd have picked entirely different winners every single year...
Old 19 Feb 2014, 17:49 (Ref:3370139)   #33
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
Yep Don't get me wrong, Jann was the best choice and I'm happy they are choosing now younger drivers. We all know, humans learn faster when younger
All I wanted to say is that Playstation and GT are just not the best field of sim racers and that's why I said there are 1000s of young and may be more talented guys like him.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3376181)   #34
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jimmy Eriksson at Koiranen
Marvin Kirchhofer at ART
Nick Yelloly at Status

http://www.gp3series.com/Teams-and-Drivers/

Glad Kirchhofer got a ride, would've like to see him do GP2 if he could, but I guess finance decided where he'd be?
Old 19 Mar 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3381825)   #35
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marussia Manor unveils 2014 line-up with Patrick Kujala, Ryan Cullen and Dean Stoneman.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 10:46 (Ref:3381844)   #36
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sold on Kujala or Cullen, but in Stoneman they have one of the favourites for the title.
It's such a shame he's lost so much time.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3381848)   #37
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
kujala's got some decent money. that's good for everyone. but i'm pleased for stoneman, that's a great drive and he has looked really quick and competitivesince he started to race again.

no matter who you support or follow in motorsport i think everyone's rooting for him. the very best of british to him
Old 19 Mar 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3381877)   #38
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree, great for Stoneman and GP3. What a story it would be if he took the title.

Ryan Cullen is, however , a total waste of a seat. He was awful last season
Old 19 Mar 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3381925)   #39
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
kujala's got some decent money. that's good for everyone.
Kujala new supporter is finland KymiRing circuit Project. Kari O. Sohlberg said that the visibility of the Marussia Manor GP3 with KymiRing project enables global visibility.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3382999)   #40
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Uruguayan driver Santiago Urrutia has been confirmed at Koiranen! I'm so happy!
Old 22 Mar 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3383096)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
kujala's got some decent money. that's good for everyone. but i'm pleased for stoneman, that's a great drive and he has looked really quick and competitivesince he started to race again.

no matter who you support or follow in motorsport i think everyone's rooting for him. the very best of british to him
Definitely, I see no reason why the guy can't pick up where he left off 2 years ago in terms of performance. He looked a real hot property after winning F2 and testing various bigger cars.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3385114)   #42
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
He had 3 seasons out (of single seaters).
Missed 2011 due to cancer treatment, 2012 he went powerboat racing (and won the championship I believe) and 2013 he was racing Porsches (with 2 single-seater races thrown in).

Stanaway and Merhi to test with Status alongside Alfonso Celis Jr in Portugal.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113100
Old 27 Mar 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3385160)   #43
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
What's the plan with Merhi? He got dropped from DTM and he wants again to fight back to F1?
Old 27 Mar 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3385219)   #44
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
What's the plan with Merhi? He got dropped from DTM and he wants again to fight back to F1?
He did the first 3.5 test as well I think.
He's apparently still Mercedes backed, though quite what that means in practical terms I don't know.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 20:28 (Ref:3385295)   #45
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
I think he has some seat for GTs, I doubt they are paying him to do these tests.
May be they think in 2-3 years it would be easier to get into F1, he always had the backing to do FR3.5 or GP2, but played his cards safe and accepted the DTM offer.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 23:13 (Ref:3388482)   #46
hwozniakluckey
Rookie

Colombia
Bogotá, Colombia
hwozniakluckey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hilmer´s first driver

Ivan Taranov has been confirmed as a Hilmer driver for GP3.
I think he´s going to struggle inmensely.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3388797)   #47
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From BARC to GP3, brilliant
Old 10 Apr 2014, 05:01 (Ref:3390697)   #48
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adderly Fong to Jenzer Motorsport from Status Grand Prix.
Old 8 May 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3403791)   #49
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
GP3 is now full up.

Hilmer have Visser and Mason alongside Taranov, and Trident have got Denis Nagulin.
Stanaway is at Status (which is exciting), and Mateo Tuscher is at Jenzer. It'll be good to see what he can do.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113831
http://www.gp3series.com/Teams-and-Drivers/
Old 8 May 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3403873)   #50
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hilmer talked also with Ghirelli