Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Mar 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3383828)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
The future of SRT Viper

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...-from-le-mans/

Quote:
However, lower-than-expected sales of the V10-powered sports car recently forced the temporary closure of its production plant in Detroit, likely prompting a tightened budget on its motorsports programs.
This really sucks. What's the future of this program? A one-off at Le Mans isn't even close to the budget they'll be running for the full TUSC season, so it seems very tight right now. And with sales low, what's the future of this program? If SRT can't get two Vipers to Le Mans, I'm not optimistic about the GT3-R racing abroad.

Your thoughts?
Old 24 Mar 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3383832)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Surely the budget was signed of long ago, why cancel it now
Old 24 Mar 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3383833)   #3
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Theyve already sold a GT3 Viper in europe. This may be the thing that could save this program. Creating a separate brand- SRT- was not a wise decision imo. FIAT should be less stingy as well. Ive heard stories that Viper cant step on Ferrari's toes and that holds back the car from being something more than what it currently is.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3383834)   #4
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wonder if things would have been different had they won Sebring like they should have...And I won't say anymore than that...

I really hope this decision gets reversed. That's a huge blow.
What better way to stimulate sales than to go out and win Le Mans. That really just means they didn't think they could win.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3383835)   #5
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yikes.

The GTD teams being iffy was not to be unexpected but a factory team starting to look shaky is very concerning.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 22:43 (Ref:3383843)   #6
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Thoughts:

a) good luck to Ralph Gilles at his next job interview, he's going to need it.

b) was always very strange that they were using an iconic brand (Viper) to try and launch a new one that had no mainstream identity (SRT)

c) this is really bad news for TUSC, Corvette and GTLM in general. It's likely the end of that era, I doubt any new cars will arrive for it now

d) the future of GT rules needs sorting NOW. Don't TUSC it up and wait too long, GT3 has been so strong for a while now and it is suffering from this uncertainty over rules. I would say let GT3 be the base ruleset everywhere, much as I originally despised the concept I'm happy to admit I was wrong.

e) will be a real shame not to see the GT3 Viper have a proper sales run. I know one has been sold to Race Art but I'm guessing it hasn't been homologated for international GT3 and after their last endeavour I doubt they're going to get another year to try and make some sales of it.

f) finally, saying a Sebring win could have saved it is a fallacy. Same for a Le Mans win. If the core product isn't wanted to this extend then no amount of heritage will save it in the short-term.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3383846)   #7
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Just to clear things up, this is NOT cofirmed. And if the story is true, its withdrawing from Le Mans, not TUSC.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 22:48 (Ref:3383847)   #8
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Just to clear things up, this is NOT cofirmed. And if the story is true, its withdrawing from Le Mans, not TUSC.
If you are withdrawing from the biggest race you run all year (with the highest worldwide TV ratings), what is the value in racing in the rest of the Tudor races?
Old 24 Mar 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3383850)   #9
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
f) finally, saying a Sebring win could have saved it is a fallacy. Same for a Le Mans win. If the core product isn't wanted to this extend then no amount of heritage will save it in the short-term.
I'm not so sure. When Falken won Petit last year. It was awful hard to Porsche to not give them a new factory car to play with.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 23:11 (Ref:3383856)   #10
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
If you are withdrawing from the biggest race you run all year (with the highest worldwide TV ratings), what is the value in racing in the rest of the Tudor races?
Because of local car corrals, regional dealerships that are funding you, corporate guests that you have invited, employee inventive schemes, contracts that you have to fulfill etc.

I know some programmes such as the Corvette one are run with current owners in mind.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3383859)   #11
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
Viper is American. The races in America are probably covered. When full details come out about this decision then you will have your answers. Until then everything is speculation.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3383878)   #12
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Thoughts:

a) good luck to Ralph Gilles at his next job interview, he's going to need it.
I'm curious why you would go after Ralph? He's one of the few 'good guys' in the industry and why the race cars were created in the first place.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 00:35 (Ref:3383881)   #13
KSR88
Rookie

United States
California
KSR88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love this marketing spin...bet the guys laid off love it more.........
Chrysler manufacturing spokesperson Jodi Tinson offered a silver lining to the production stoppage. “We’re trying to satisfy our customers’ desire to keep their vehicles exclusive,” she said. “We didn’t want to make too many of them. This will help us manage our production to keep that level of exclusivity.”
Old 25 Mar 2014, 01:03 (Ref:3383885)   #14
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm positive it's not the only, or chief, motivator, but I bet the need to somehow get a car to France for BoP testing in advance of the race isn't helping either. Not cheap or convenient with TUSC commitments at LB and Laguna as well. Be interesting to see how Corvette manages that, though I am nearly certain they have at least one spare chassis.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 01:15 (Ref:3383887)   #15
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Ferrari just did the same exact thing....I wonder if this is a FIAT thing?
Old 25 Mar 2014, 02:08 (Ref:3383901)   #16
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah this really bites big time. I am optimistic that SRT will be in TUSK for the rest of 2014 though. 2015 you got start questioning though?

Perhaps the SRT brand overall has not been very successful and instead should have remained under Dodge branding.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 03:47 (Ref:3383913)   #17
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
Ferrari just did the same exact thing....I wonder if this is a FIAT thing?
Ferrari's issues (or rather lack of) are very different to that of SRT.

It seems the lack of sales is attributed to the fact that the SRT Viper is not the very best supercar given all the other options out there.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 03:48 (Ref:3383914)   #18
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bummer

Hope they can make it to the end of the TUSCAR season..
Old 25 Mar 2014, 03:58 (Ref:3383915)   #19
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Ferrari's issues (or rather lack of) are very different to that of SRT.

It seems the lack of sales is attributed to the fact that the SRT Viper is not the very best supercar given all the other options out there.
And there is reason to believe its because the parent company doesn't want in brand fighting. The decision to put pirelli tires instead of michelin on the viper, the 640hp limitation when it could easily outdo the F12's 700+ hp, the fact that ceramic brakes arent included standard... the list goes on of reasons FIAT may have held the viper back to not be in Ferrari's teritory.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 07:09 (Ref:3383937)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I like the idea of blaming Fiat and Ferrari but i think money has more to do with it, let us just hope that from all this mess and speculation the SRT's do get to Le Mans
Old 25 Mar 2014, 07:30 (Ref:3383946)   #21
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'm curious why you would go after Ralph? He's one of the few 'good guys' in the industry and why the race cars were created in the first place.
Nothing personal, just he was very much the public figurehead of the campaign and I imagine if they're looking for an fall guy then they won't look much further. As for me, I really like the guy's transparency and honesty; I remember watching the launch live and thinking it was well done.

When I say 'good luck', I mean it; it'd be good to see someone with his passion for racing in a job.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 07:43 (Ref:3383952)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I like the idea of blaming Fiat and Ferrari but i think money has more to do with it, let us just hope that from all this mess and speculation the SRT's do get to Le Mans
Money is not being made because of some things going on within the company. Changing nameplates to SRT, its asking price vs. the competition, its relatively poor performance etc. Where does that come from? Thats why people say Fiat are partially to blame. I just hope they go on with the program and keep racing.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 08:36 (Ref:3383968)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The Fiat group have plenty of resources to make the SRT better but do they have the desire to do so
Old 25 Mar 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3384023)   #24
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It all seemed so promising when they returned, it will be a massive loss to the Pro catagory at LM. If not for any other reason than because the spectacle is diminished if we're given two more 458s, rather than anything unique.

I was interested to see how they would stack up this season, with a full year behind the project as well.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3384032)   #25
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Extremely bad news to my eyes, both from the perspective of the spectacle not being the same without a bit of proper big American muscle, and also taking into account the issue that the SRT proposition clearly isn't hanging together.