Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Apr 2003, 20:59 (Ref:583196)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi Raikkonen and McLaren - can they continue their current form?

He's doing very well at the moment, and fair play to him. But I can't help thinking that once the new Ferrari comes out, Schumacher and Barrichello will leave Raikkonen and McLaren for dead. I'm not sure that Raikkonen will be able to keep motivated after a great start to his season if that happens.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 21:11 (Ref:583205)   #2
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happens if the new farrari doent live up to expectations and the mclaren improves kimmi ony needs to hold second to schmi to make it a hard slog for him go kimi and mclaren lets see a new world order.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 21:16 (Ref:583212)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure that Kimi will be able to take it all th way to Michael (even with this lead), but I don't think motivation will be an issue.

Last year he had his problems. Lots of mechanical problems (unluckyness in other's world!) and a mess up that lost him his win in Magny-Cours, but motivation was not a problem. Especially through Pouhon!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 21:39 (Ref:583234)   #4
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I dont think Mac is doing that great. Its just that Ferrari were doing poorly. Look what happened in the last race. The first three could have been the same had it not been for mistakes and bad luck.

Kimi makes mistakes, he is fast but he also seems to crack a little under pressure. With more experience he should be very good but right now I feel there is a little more hype that hap where he is concerned.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 21:54 (Ref:583248)   #5
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That'll be interesting to see. How much better is the new Ferrari than the old one and how long will it be before the new Mac is ready?

Interesting. Verrrrrry interesting indeed.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 22:48 (Ref:583275)   #6
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi makes mistakes, but he's like Schumi in that he doesn't make them in the race, or they're not big enough to mean a DNF. When was the last time Kimi spun out of a race, or crashed into another driver during a race? He spun out at Hockenheim, but that was caused by a flat tyre, in Monaco RB punted him... He is very consistent. More so than JPM, DC or RS.

If McLaren can stay reliable and keep Williams and Renault at bay, it will be slow progress for Ferrari in the championship standings.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 23:02 (Ref:583282)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I believe in another McLaren era of domination - but not until after Schummi retires. But this year will be very very close - and that's good for all of us!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 23:03 (Ref:583283)   #8
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
When was the last time Kimi spun out of a race, or crashed into another driver during a race? He spun out at Hockenheim, but that was caused by a flat tyre

I didn't know that his Hockenheim crash was caused by a flat tyre. I thought it was driver error.

The last driver error DNF I can think of other than Hockenheim 2002 was Brazil 2001. Plus he also crashed into Sato at Italy 2002, but that was during qualifying.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 02:15 (Ref:583354)   #9
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is possible, depending on the reliability of the new Ferrari, although the new Mac will also be an improvement...if Michael and Kimi finished 1-2 in every race starting Sunday, it would be after Silverstone before Michael caught him, with 5 races to go after that, so I certainly expect the final result to be closer this year.

Last edited by senna12; 29 Apr 2003 at 02:17.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 02:33 (Ref:583361)   #10
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know Kimi has what it takes,and MS is a history
Old 29 Apr 2003, 08:17 (Ref:583505)   #11
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not about Kimi&Mac's form, it's about technical quality of the Macs. At this moment, Macs are inferior to Ferrari (even F2002). God only knows what's inside 'GA', and not even him knows what's inside new Mac.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 08:45 (Ref:583522)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless the apparent 2003-GA promises, the new point assignment rules can help if Kimi keeps consistent; if when the new Mac starts off KR is still leading the standing, we're gonna see a very interesting second part of the season.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 09:08 (Ref:583538)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The points system will make a big difference - perversely the idea dreamt up to stop MS running away with the championship now makes it hard for MS to catch-up. I'm sure there will be more than one occassion where Kimi runs in second to Michael and loses only two points in the process. This puts pressure on Rubens to be right up there taking points away from Kimi, and on DC to be right up there taking points away from Rubens! I think Renault and Williams will continue to show reasonable form, which further adds to the fight - Schumacher has got a bigger struggle on his hands than Kimi, I'd say.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 09:17 (Ref:583545)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Kimi remains consistent, and the new McLaren is able to keep up with the new Ferrari, then I think Kimi will take the fight more often than not to TGF.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 12:04 (Ref:583687)   #15
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi has definitely impressed so far this year, but I wouldn't be suprised to see DC ahead of him on points at the end of the year. DC has had some horrid luck thus far, and should really be right with Kimi on points. I think between Kimi, DC, Rubens, and MS (and occaisionally one of the other teams) taking points off eachother, the title will be quite close...
Old 29 Apr 2003, 12:30 (Ref:583712)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
I believe in another McLaren era of domination - but not until after Schummi retires. But this year will be very very close - and that's good for all of us!
I think it should be Williams era of domination, following the F1 cycle from last decades..
Old 29 Apr 2003, 13:14 (Ref:583753)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
It should be Bon, but it doesn't look good for them. And BMW is not at all happy with the chassis they have been producing.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 13:40 (Ref:583782)   #18
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi just has to 'be there' to capitalize on any scarlet error.

It may be a case of McLaren not winning the WCC but Ferrari losing it. But more power to them if McLaren does that - they surely deserve it.

If the rest of the season goes the same way it started, we might see some serious drag racing between Kimi and Schumi - and just a half season ago we though it would have been Montoya giving it to Michael!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 14:56 (Ref:583871)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The points system will make it harder for Ferrari to catch up. At Imola he was well clear of Kimi, yet only closed the gap by 2 points, so would need to keep doing that for so long to get there.

However, recent history suggests that Ferrari have less trouble with reliability with new cars than McLaren - no doubt this is why McLaren's new car has been so heavily delayed, as they try to iron out all the bugs. If Michael wins one race with Kimi non-scoring, the points gap is all-but gone.

The circuits which suit Williams and Renault may see them take real points off the others though, and fluke Brazil-style races may have an effect as well. It'll be close, but it's Michael in the chasing role he relishes.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 09:10 (Ref:584707)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference between 1st and 3rd place is now only 4 points - if Kimi can hang around the podium until the new McLaren comes out he'll shape up nicely for a Suzuka showdown...
Old 30 Apr 2003, 11:41 (Ref:584873)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's the plot. Regularity is the key to the championship, 2nd, 3rd and sometimes a win can make it.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:16 (Ref:584928)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed - if MS had managed in the first three races to pick up a second place here and a couple of thirds there we wouldn't be having this discussion, because he'd only be a few points adrift. Provided Kimi doesn't have a three or morerace spell without scoring Michael is going to have a very hard time clawing back.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 23:16 (Ref:585746)   #23
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If McLaren can keep Schumacher off the front row and run 1-2 for a few races, then it's looking good.

If Ferrari gets the front row and takes off, then McLaren will lose the points gap fairly quickly, if Rubens takes a few 2nd places as well.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 1 May 2003, 00:26 (Ref:585790)   #24
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I know Kimi has what it takes,and MS is a history"

Yes, he is. And whether we like it or not, he's still writing it.

I have been completely bowled over by the performance of this D-type McLaren. With the F2003 on its way, logic would decree that the form is set to take a dent in the interim, but then it is possible that there may still be a few bugs with the new Ferrari. Plus which with any luck the new Mac will be a stunner.

What, I'm supporting McLaren in the war now?? Not QUITE!! But whilst I secretly hope Ferrari do alright, I would like to see a fast McLaren for the sake of competition (and I suspect my views are shared by many a Ferrari fan).