Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Jan 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2106817)   #101
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=bella]i'm surprised everyone else thinks there were fewer stands - i really think there was more - i got lost twice this year

Shame,there were quite a few older people just wandering around aimlessly
Old 29 Jan 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2116507)   #102
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggs
Although as for the few scratched up vehicles down in the pistonhead area, I feel there should be a stipulation that any car going on show should be at least be presentable! and not looking like it requires a repair job from a garage! If that were me as a car owner, I'd be cringing if I put a car of mine on display that looked that bad.
Just to come to the defense of those guys who displayed their cars in the PH area
I dunno about scratched up - but all the cars on display where put forward by members of pistonheads, and selected to show the broad range of cars that members of pistonheads has - from the MX5 to the Enzo.

The thing was - everyone was told that as part of the deal, Zymol would be detailing/cleaning the cars between everyone dropping their cars off on Wednesday and the pistonheads area opening on Friday... which was then changed 'they'll be cleaning them over the course of the show so they can show the difference it makes'

and in the end only a few fo the cars got cleaned by Zymol, much to the dissapointment of the owners, that they didnt have their cars shown off at their best (there was only 1 tap available when they dropped the cars off to clean the road muck off)

Shame really
Old 30 Jan 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2117134)   #103
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The lighting at the Pistonheads car display didn't do any of the cars any justice whatsoever. It was like you were actually in a dark car park, they really need to take a few lessons in making cars stand out like they do in the shows in America. Watch the Barrett Jackson auction and you'll see what I mean.

Show was ok as it was my first time there(first January without any exams to do!) but I ended up wandering around like a headless chicken at times. Did enjoy seeing the older race cars from the BTCC display but it got to the point that I didn't take much notice when I come across a F1 car.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2119026)   #104
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I ahve to say I think the Barret Jackson thing is too far the other way, the cars you just KNOW are never driven and are kept in cotton wool, not how they were intended to be used
In that respect they are pure money making things, no joy, no mechanical fun, just an investment.
To me that show is the main reason why classic car motoring has the stuffy element about it so abhorrent to people like me. These cars are for driving not keeping in glass cases.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 00:10 (Ref:2119396)   #105
HugeF1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Southampton
HugeF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I'd just add my 2 pence here. Coming from Soton, it's a bit of a trek, but IMO it's worth it. Esp this year, cos I got Webber and Coulthard's sigs. Also got Matt Neal, Gordon Shedden and Tom Chilton's.
I thought the McRae tribute was brilliant (and the little vid at the beginning of the live show was quite moving).
Only bad bits were the stupid football supporters on the train there and home. But the day itself was great
Old 4 Feb 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2120722)   #106
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
To me that show is the main reason why classic car motoring has the stuffy element about it so abhorrent to people like me. These cars are for driving not keeping in glass cases.
come along to a VSCC event - lots of old machinery, all being driven (hard)
Old 4 Feb 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2120861)   #107
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I ahve to say I think the Barret Jackson thing is too far the other way, the cars you just KNOW are never driven and are kept in cotton wool, not how they were intended to be used
In that respect they are pure money making things, no joy, no mechanical fun, just an investment.
Yeah but you can still take a few cues from there in terms of the lighting on the cars(it really does make the difference), the Pistonheads car display was so dull that the cars looked like they were abandoned there. And as for the cars that are meant to be driven you coudn't even touch most of the cars on display!! At least do something exciting with them like firing up the engine once in a while(man I would have loved to hear to Enzo rev). Not that no one was there to tell you off if you went over the red ropes and touched the cars anyway..