Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 4 Jan 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2099263)   #51
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
The live action arena has some dragsters doing burnouts this year. See the news on eurodragster.com
A bit of a contradiction. Autosport are happy to have them at their show yet I know of one well known journalist who got a ticking off from those upstairs for writing about them and inclusion in the magazine. 'Autosport' does not do drag racing!'
Yet it is an FIA recognised championship ( the champions share the stage with the F1 and rally stars at the FIA prizegiving). It is the world's fastest and loudest wheel driven 'car' motor sport. I'd wager any circuit racing fan would go away stunned after witnessing a fine day's drag racing at one of Santa Pod's big internationals. Standing quarter mile passes in close to 4.5secs at over 300mph with the loudest engines you'll ever hear.
yes andrew i can vouch for that! ive had the honour of standing between two of thes beasts when launnching.....man it makes yo jump!..the vibrations are so hard yo cant physically open your eyes! also had the pleasure of racing against a few of the guys who will be at the show. youve ot little joe...hes still 12 i think!...and matt in their juniors.....they may seem slow and only have briggs and stratton lawn mower engines but they will do 80mph in the 1/8th mile in 7.5 seconds....thats faster than most supercars!....and the same as my little old legend!..DOH!...although i beat them on the rest of the quarter then you have conrad stanley in his supergas firebird..really nice car and andy frost in his road legal vauxhall...it has over 1000hp and is road legal....hehe wouldnt like to be driving it in the wet!...it was featured on 5th gear giving passanger rides this year. then finally we have andy robinson in his pro mod studebaker commander..with around 3000hp.....now that will rattle your eardrums! i arent going to the show this year.....sods law but hey...i should be at the pod all year so never mind!
Old 4 Jan 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2099492)   #52
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does anyone know how much this Gold Card costs? Also does a ticket for the Friday of Pistonheads get you entry to the Autosport Show as well?
Old 5 Jan 2008, 09:46 (Ref:2099785)   #53
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Does anyone know how much this Gold Card costs? Also does a ticket for the Friday of Pistonheads get you entry to the Autosport Show as well?
£34-have mine for friday-no mention of pistonheads on ticket.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2100056)   #54
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Pistonheads - General Admission = Admission to Pistonheads show and Autosport International plus Live Action arena.

If you phone the Box Office 0870 040 0395 and ask nicely they will give you two tickets for the price of one (BOGOF).(Quote TLC 04 or WLC 04 from Pistonheads web site).

Apologies to anybody that has paid full price.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2100057)   #55
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent, thanks.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2100068)   #56
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
I just called there to be told it's Trade Day only and can't be sold tickets for it. It's all a bit confusing. I guess I'll have to go for the Gold Card option, as I'm in the area that weekend, but on business on Sat and Sun, so Friday is the only day I can do.

Last edited by Craner Curves; 5 Jan 2008 at 12:56.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2100649)   #57
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See posts 27 and 32
Old 6 Jan 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2100652)   #58
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought my ticket for the Pistonheads show on the friday via the online site. I still have my doubts about being actually allowed into the Autosport show it sounds like they are seperate.

This is a bit of a stupid, confusing situation. Rather than having one combined show, with say a Pistonheads area within it. Their is two websites, two completely seperate shows. There is one line on each site that mentions the other but when buying the ticket there wasnt one mention of the Autosport international. I fear when i get there they wont let me in.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2100750)   #59
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
I bought my ticket for the Pistonheads show on the friday via the online site. I still have my doubts about being actually allowed into the Autosport show it sounds like they are seperate.

This is a bit of a stupid, confusing situation. Rather than having one combined show, with say a Pistonheads area within it. Their is two websites, two completely seperate shows. There is one line on each site that mentions the other but when buying the ticket there wasnt one mention of the Autosport international. I fear when i get there they wont let me in.
Don't worry your Piston Heads Ticket will get you admission to the Autosport Show, after all they are the same price. The Pistonheads Online booking does mention that the ticket is good for the Autosport Show.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2101056)   #60
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My tickets came through on Friday [ordered via the above way]. Whilst the website says Pistonheads entry includes access to ASI there is no mention of this on the actual ticket, the ticket only says that it includes entry to the live action arena.....but from memory isn't access to the live action arena via one of the halls / show itself?

Quote:
I fear when i get there they wont let me in.
Similar, but may take a printout of the website bit with me just incase have to argue the point! I'm sure the person on the entrance wouldn't have a clue about it.....
Old 7 Jan 2008, 09:49 (Ref:2101083)   #61
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to the floorplan I have, you do need to go through the ASI to get from the Pistonheads Show to the Live action Arena.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2101114)   #62
al_sami
Racer

Bahrain
London
al_sami is a back marker
Shame that, was looking forward to going, but 28 quid plus £9 parking and £35 to travel there thats almost £75 with out even buying a sandwich!!

Just a few years ago I remember the price being £15 or so...
Old 7 Jan 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2101138)   #63
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_sami
Shame that, was looking forward to going, but 28 quid plus £9 parking and £35 to travel there thats almost £75 with out even buying a sandwich!!

Just a few years ago I remember the price being £15 or so...
I remember it being a few shillings including bus fare & programme to Horticlutural Hall in Jan 60 Still not clear whether my gold ticket admits to this 'Pistonheads' show which I had not heard of before.Excuse my ignorance but exactly what is in it? is it worth my bothering?
Old 7 Jan 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2101209)   #64
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at the floorplan on the Autosport International website the Pistonheads show takes up 2 halls and although there is a seperate entrance for the Pistonheads show there appears to be no physical barrier stopping people walking from one show to the other once inside the halls.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2101303)   #65
al_sami
Racer

Bahrain
London
al_sami is a back marker
I think Pistonheads is a Max Power/Boy racer type of website/club... may be wrong.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2101495)   #66
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Slightly classier than that I think. Sports and supercar enthusiasts they'd probably like to be known as?
Old 7 Jan 2008, 23:13 (Ref:2101522)   #67
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Boy racers grown up and got TVR's...

Pistonheads show is pretty much the same deal as the Racecar Engineering bit (thats the scary bit with lots oof people looking at very small shiny bits of metal to those of you who normally skip it)

I know that for F1 fans its worth a visit Force India is launching it new car in the Engineering section on Friday...
Old 10 Jan 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2103400)   #68
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn, I should have been there for the competition - I got all three questions right! (Webcast at www.0157.org)

* Aguri Suzuki was the japanese F1 driver who failed to qualify for 16 GP's in 1989.

* Heikki Kovalainen was Giancarlo Fisichella's teammate at Renault last year (trick question eh?)

* Eddie Irvine made his F1 debute at Suzuka

Old 10 Jan 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2103752)   #69
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had a good day today, there seemed at lot less stand's than normal.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2103778)   #70
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really? i thought there were many more than usual - demonstrated by the fact the autosport stand was considerably smaller...
Old 10 Jan 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2103792)   #71
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Compared to last year, there just seem to be less stand's. There was still plentey to see however.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2103793)   #72
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't like the new autosport stage much. Bloody nightmare to shoot, kept getting a "Bar" sign in shot, or a toilet, or a glaring light...
Old 10 Jan 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2103851)   #73
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a toilet? by god, the irony...
Old 11 Jan 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2104450)   #74
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Pistonheads bit was quite good today. Not massive, but some nice kit on display, and made a change from the usual show.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2104765)   #75
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
The live action arena has some dragsters doing burnouts this year... It is the world's fastest and loudest wheel driven 'car' motor sport.
I can see why... the noise from the dragsters was deafening, especially the last one to come out!!

I got a bargain which will be of interest to Michael Schumacher fans... I'm probably not allowed to advertise companies here, so I'll just say that there is a diecast model stand near the main entrance which has this limited edition 1/18 scale model for £49.99 - that's a full £80.00 cheaper than GPL!

In general I was impressed by the show, although I have nothing to compare it to since yesterday was my first visit. Several people have said that there weren't as many stands this year but there was plenty there to fill a day.